Cosplay Props and weapons

Jump to solution

Hi there!  Im trying to figure out why some of my Mandalorian blasters and prop weapons get taken down.  I know thet say if it looks like a weapon or gun but they also say that you are allowed to sell cosplay guns...  Props  Non functional.. So im curious as to why these are getting removed as i do most of my stuff for cosplay costumes

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Re: Cosplay Props and weapons

Jump to solution

Mandalorian is a trademark of Lucas Films. Unless you own the trademark, you aren't allowed to sell anything with that name.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies

Jump to solution

Reason 1:

IP infringement - unlicensed items are considered to be counterfeits.

https://www.etsy.com/seller-handbook/article/22398703823

Reason 2:

They look too realistic, so they could be used in robberies or interactions with police.

https://www.etsy.com/legal/policy/weapons/207958817249

1 Like

Jump to solution

Ok!  yeah ill have to look more into it. As there is a million mandalorian props.  I had a picture of a robocop gun taken down. It was a picture.  But I can google Gun Stls  and find guns like nothing.  so was just curious. how that works

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@DungeonSculpt3d 

Just because "a million" other people get away with selling IP infringing items, doesn't mean that it isn't illegal.

You got caught.

Add proof of legal licensing and remove any items that look like real guns. They aren't allowed here.

1 Like
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Jump to solution

Probably because Mandalorian is trademarked.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Do you have a license to sell them? Or are you just using someone else’s designs to make money? If you use someone else’s trademark or copyright then it’s considered infringement and usually considered counterfeit merchandise. Etsy takes counterfeit items seriously, this is a little old and they probably take down a lot more now.

We removed approximately 468,000 listings in 2022 for suspected counterfeiting violations

1 Like

Jump to solution

I do have the license>  I suubscribed to galactic Armory yearly for commercial license.  Or if I dont i always get permission from digital scuplting artist to see if the painted fan art or prop is allowed,

0 Likes

Jump to solution

If you get paid for it then it isn’t fan art. Is the license from the company that owns the designs or someone that just designed them?  If they were Disney designs you would need a license from Disney themself. A lot of people will use the designs and turn them into embroidery designs, laser designs, and designs to make 3D items, they then sell the designs and tell the customers that they can buy a license to sell them. A license from anyone except Disney is not valid, it’s a scam. I don’t know if this is the case with you but I just wanted to let you know it has been a problem for many other people. 

Annually (2 months free): Get access to ALL files I've ever made and all newly released files for a year!

This sounds like they are not the ones that can give out a legal license. It sounds like something they drew from someone else’s design, maybe made a few changes, and are now selling a license for it. If my grandson did the work to make a 3D Darth Vader figure he can make it for himself or give it as a gift. He can’t give you the rights, license, to make them and sell them. 

2 Likes

Jump to solution

You may have a commercial license to sell items from that designer. But does that designer have a license to use that third party's IP in the first place? 

2 Likes

Jump to solution

@DungeonSculpt3d   Does the company have a license from Disney to sell plans for the use of the trademarked name?   If they don't you will need to check to see if Mandalorian is trademarked and what it is trademarked for.  If props then using the term will be a no.

Chances are the items you are selling are considered counterfeit so that is why Etsy can remove them without the holder being involved.  

0 Likes
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Jump to solution

Mandalorian is a trademark of Lucas Films. Unless you own the trademark, you aren't allowed to sell anything with that name.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

To add to this, if the “license” is not from Lucas Films then it isn’t valid. 

2 Likes
MyHandKnitMitts
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I see nothing on Galatic Armory's website indicating that they have a license from Disney to sell Star Wars-related products. Disney has thousands of trademarks for Star Wars items. It's likely that Galatic Armory is living on borrowed time until Disney catches up with them. In the meantime, Galatic Armory is collecting "fees" for "licenses" that it does not own.

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.