Trendymocks2u
Inspiration Seeker

Colored border on bottom of listings

Hello,

Does anyone know how to get ride of the color bar that is showing up on the bottom of listings on profile?  It started showing up for me on my end after the new Etsy thumbnail resizing happened.  I have waited to see if it was a glitch or if it would work itself out.  Still is there after several weeks.  If anyone knows how to make this disappear or if this is just how it is now, please let me know.  Thanks!

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
11 Replies
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Re: Colored border on bottom of listings

I'm not seeing that in your shop or mine.

0 Likes
CanningCrafts
Conversation Maker

I have checked this  on multiple computers & browsers. The color bars show up on some & not others. The color bars are really ugly! On some browsers Etsy adds "white" gaps to force rectangle images into squares, keeping your rectangle image proportions. On others I see the color bars. And yet other browsers crop rectangles into squares. I do not know what anything is supposed to look like!

When they first started this "test", some sellers said they were able to clear their cache/cookies & sign out & back in to "remove" the cropping/color bars. But now this is supposedly permanent, so I have no idea why there are differences all around still.

fyi, I see color bars in Firefox & Safari. I don't see them in Brave.

0 Likes
Trendymocks2u
Inspiration Seeker

Yes!  I used to be able to clear my caches and it was gone.  Seems to only happen for me on safari.  Don't like it! 

0 Likes
NanaLetha
Community Maker

@Trendymocks2u  I only use Safari and I'm not seeing it.

0 Likes
Trendymocks2u
Inspiration Seeker

Ok good to know!  Maybe just something on my end.  When I go to your shop I also see the colored banners on bottom and cropped pictures on your listings.  

0 Likes

@CanningCrafts  You said, "But now this is supposedly permanent". Did Etsy make an announcement to this effect or is this just rumor?

0 Likes
CanningCrafts
Conversation Maker

@GroundZeroCreations  They made an announcement a while back... based on 1 month of "data collection". 

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Announcements/We-re-making-updates-to-size-and-ratio-for-listing-image...

0 Likes
CanningCrafts
Conversation Maker

I think something may have been briefly shown on the dashboard too... I don't recall an email being sent out, but maybe there was one?? 

0 Likes

There have been threads on this over the past month or so and many of us have them.  They only seemed to disappear during the test, but once the change was made permanent, they have remained.

My pics have always been square, and yet I have them.  

1 Like
LanaLuckyFinds
Conversation Maker

I see those colored bars in my other shop on Firefox. When I tried to resize the main photo to make it square the main photo covered the price and the title.  Now, my other shop looks weird but it does not prevent people from buying, I guess. I just left everything as is. 

0 Likes

This worked for us and Etsy finally stopped resetting and re-cropping our images. I use the old listing format (which we still love as it is faster than the new one) and their image cropping tool for ONLY the gallery image. It will work on both old images already posted and new images, if the margin around your object is wide enough. For all gallery images you need a wide margin around the object and an image size of about 2400 wide and 2000 pixels in height. Using the old listing format pick the gallery image you want and then use Etsy’s cropping and formatting tool (at the base of the image box). Pick the square 1:1 cropping format. If your image is wide enough and you have a 2000 pixel height on your image, the image will go to a square format and eliminate the color bar on your old pictures and also your new listing pictures. It won’t work on older images if you don’t have a wide margin across the image and it will crop your object, but you can back out and cancel the crop if that happens. But this method will get rid of the color bar. It was time consuming for 150+ gallery images but better than reshooting new pictures with wider margins. I did have to reshoot about 5 items for a new gallery image as my old photos weren’t wide or tall enough. Obviously if you have thousands of items listed this would be a huge task for older posts, but it should work on all new postings. The 2500 width x 2000 pixel height is important but you need horizontal space around your item also to make this work. A word of caution, you should have a backup image for your gallery picture because once you crop using Etsy’s tool and convert to 1:1 square and save it, you can’t change it. It seems that the tool Etsy uses for cropping your gallery image is a rectangular, not square even though they want everything square now. When they launched their new cropping tool they cropped  not only all our current images but even the 5000 original images in our SOLD galleries going back years! Luckily we have all our original images in files at home. So whatever they did, the cropping was permanent by Etsy techs and they threw away the leftovers, so no way they could go back and technically fix sellers pictures after this disaster. Still don’t understand why they did this without first testing it. Seems they didn’t have a clue as to what they were doing. Let me know if this works for you.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.