CXFX
Post Crafter

Changes to listing format is ruining Etsy

These constant and unnecessary changes to the listing format are ruining the site. What I mean is how the whole layout of the listing pages look now. I just noticed this a couple of days ago, that the item description in now underneath the reviews section. This makes absolutely no sense. I've gotten 3 messages from buyers asking for details that are clearly stated in the listing, they just can't find them because the details are basically at the bottom of the page.

I hated it when they changed the previous listing format, cramming everything to the right side of the page and requiring the viewer the click/expand to see the VERY IMPORTANT info that is there. The reviews are not as important and need to go back to the bottom of the page, especially considering how poorly written some of them are. It just looks terrible. They need to go back to the old layout where everything (i.e. listing details & shipping info) was right there underneath the photos, like eBay and pretty much every other similar type of site. I don't understand why they are sabotaging their own site just to put the focus on reviews and not product details. This was a huge mistake.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
52 Likes
19 Replies

Re: Changes to listing format is ruining Etsy

I'm with You. I'm finding it difficult as both a buyer and a seller. I'd assumed it was to put more emphasis on photos and Videos, as everything becomes increasingly more visual, but you're right, the important details are all in the listing! I don't get it.

8 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

Hi, I am not in this test today. But I was yesterday and other days.  Of course that doesn't mean anything; others who are in the test (such as yourself and Buyers who are in the test), are not finding the Description.  And when you do, it's thrown way at the bottom on the Left, under Reviews. With a gaping white space on the Right, where it was. Which doesn't even make sense (I can see if it was above the Reviews). 

Yesterday, as I scrolled down a listing, there was a white bar above my photo.  On this bar, were Tabs (Item Details, Photos, About Seller, Policies, etc.; which are clickable)  As a scrolled downward to see the Description on the  Left, this "bar" kept following me; it "rolled" down my photo, blocking it (I couldn't see most of the photo at this point. 

I can't imagine the number of Buyers who have left; or who thought the Seller didn't add a Description.  I'm seeing more Sellers posting that the Description is gone.  If they can't see that it's way below the Reviews (providing they are in the test), you know Buyers are missing it.  Between that, the test with the truncated Titles and so forth, it does seem like self sabotage. 

13 Likes
CXFX
Post Crafter

Yes, I noticed last week that my main shop page looked all screwy, like all the scripts were blocked causing a malfunction on the page. I thought it was a problem with my browser. Then a couple of days ago my shop page went back to normal, that's right around the time when I noticed some other seller's listings had the item description moved below the reviews section...but that was after I looked at about 7 different listings before I figured this out. I've been using this site for 11 years, I can't imagine someone who is new to this site knowing where to look or even what to look for.

5 Likes

I go in and out of this test.  To save your sanity just ignore as best you can.  Not everyone sees this.

We are guinea pigs for the programmers whom I think have never had retail buying experience as a provider of such a service.

Fortunately the details is still in the same place in the app so if sellers are using devices other than PC they should still be able to see details up close.

Maybe I should say I feel like a rat in a maze instead of guinea pig.  I think overall since Etsy has become a huge corporation with more than the venue that not as much attention is paid to it.  Oh there is some attempts but the few videos I have tried to watch show a big lack of understanding what we do.  

Oh well.  Have a nice piece of chocolate (my go to) and a big glass of wine. 

14 Likes
MoonlightMartini
Conversation Maker

Live testing (including nonsensical idiotic tests that hurt revenue for both the seller AND Etsy) should not be done.

PERIOD.

20 Likes
NickiesNest
Conversation Maker

If the IT Dept. performed like this at any company I worked for, they would have all been fired long ago.  But it seems no one is accountable here and competent implementation is not anyone's priority.

4 Likes

If we're the guinea pigs, I'm making a loud noise about it.  STOP PLAYING WITH MY SHOP!!!  Get rid of this new layout - the page is messy! There are too many notes, directions, unnecessary info, pop-ups and it's already difficult to find specific information.  KEEP THE PRODUCT INFO WHERE IT WAS!

18 Likes

I hate it!!! I seem to be in and out of this 'TEST PHASE' and whenever I'm back in it I have potential customers contacting me asking for size, description, condition report etc and sales drop dramatically - arghhhhhh - ETSY just stop it, it's ruining businesses and annoying customers who think we have not added a description, it needs to be 'all in' or 'all out' to stop the confusion. This is NOT a good change!!! My sales compared to last year have dropped by 54% in the last 30 days !

16 Likes
NickiesNest
Conversation Maker

Look at the bright side--since no one can find anything with the useless search, it doesn't really matter where the description is. LOL

But at least the pictures are square!

2 Likes

Not to mention there is a huge black spot to the right of the images. SOOOOOO unnecessary. If it ain't broke PLEASE Etsy, don't "fix" it.

1 Like

I wonder if this is to get the customer to the bottom of the page...where all the "OTHER" stuff is (other store options, all the Look here, and here, and here, but NOT here, but here.). If they can lure you to click away from the original listing, then send you OUT of that shop to New Pages, which may cancel out the 4% , BUT has brought someone to the sight. It forces the customer to scroll further. With the info to the right, they may be less inclined to scroll all the way to the bottom, since the info they really needed is a glance away. Just a curiosity!

2 Likes

Look at any catalog site - Item description, pictures and price are ALWAYS first.  Extra info is always after that.   I'm getting so tired of our messy/complicated pages - I can't help but think that customers are, too.

8 Likes
BazzysHouse
Conversation Maker

I hate this I am always in and out of a test. This is not the time, Holiday shopping is beginning and Etsy is screwing with search. 

Miss the old Etsy layout it was a photo on left the price and description on right. Simple clean. 

8 Likes

I was going to post a reply but you all have said exactly how I feel perfectly! Does Etsy need to keep it's programmers busy and earning their pay? 

1 Like

They must be looking for something to do is exactly right.  I was wondering why bots are being used to take down supposed  Etsy illegal listings.  I sort of got scoffed at like there's no way to do the job without bots.  Yet for how many millions of listings, they are getting that much and more from sellers fees.  So why can't they hire a large team  of humans?   I am sure the tests wouldn’t be as fascinating to Etsy's work force if they had a certain amount of listings they had to check on and take down correctly.  

2 Likes
IndustrialBlonde
Conversation Maker

Two words - job justification.

1 Like

Agree with all of your comments. Its insane  . .  . All I can see in my listings as you all say is reviews, which make the website look cheap and tacky.

I have multiple customers messaging asking simple information about my items, its a fact , we have lost sales because of this 

1 Like

And here we go again in 2024, changing the seller page format.    Now the buyer has to open up to the description of product instead of having it there in clear view.  Not to mention having to click again to see how much shipping is. 

What was wrong with having the description and shipping costs on the right side of photos????  Each time a change like this happens sellers and buyers alike have to adapt to unnecessary changes.  The bottom line is, the two most important items for a buyer to see are the description and the shipping cost. I would beg Etsy, put the description and shipping costs on the right side of page again.

Thank you

2 Likes
BehindTheRiver
Inspiration Seeker

This format is not user friendly at all... Many customers have been writing, asking for clothes measurements. Have to keep copying the measurements from the listing and send privately. Many just can't find the item description! So annoying... And how many customers will not have enough motivation to write and ask? I am sure I have lost business due to this. 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.