Change the "reply message rate" model

Jump to solution

I reply to every message within 24 hours. Unfortunately I do so sometimes in a new message because the message I receive is automated and it is ingrained in me to not reply to automated messages. Typically responding to automated messages sends the message to an email graveyard. Although I have no reason to message someone for any reason other than the reason they messaged me, Etsy does not count a separate message to the customer as a response. This happened with a request for a refund recently: I refunded and cancelled an order and sent a message within the hour of receiving the cancel request to let them know I had cancelled their order. Oops! I didn't respond to the automated message! Reply rate: 50%, therefore no star seller badge. Please code a conditional that looks for additional messages from the seller to the customer, as I'm sure I'm not alone in responding to the customer in a separate email, and it is unlikely that a seller would send an email to a customer that doesn't address the automated message when it has been received by the seller within 24 hours. To verify that message resolved the issue, follow up with customer by asking if their issue had been resolved through this other message and to explain if it had not. Thanks.

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Change the "reply message rate" model

Jump to solution

Are you talking about "help requests" that appear to be automated?

Any message a buyer sends from the order page is automatically made as a "help request" and the buyer has to select "reason" and "ideal resolution". before being able to type a message. These are not automated, they are your buyer messaging you.

View solution in original post

1 Like
9 Replies

Jump to solution

There's little chance that Etsy is going to change the way the program works, as it's pretty simple -- each new message through convos requires a response.

Only Etsy messages count -- not emails.

I'm not sure what kind of automated messages you're referring to. A message from a customer isn't automated -- unless you mean an autoreply. An autoreply would mean that you contacted them first -- so that would not count against you.

1 Like

Jump to solution

I’m sure etsy isn’t above improving their systems.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Are you talking about "help requests" that appear to be automated?

Any message a buyer sends from the order page is automatically made as a "help request" and the buyer has to select "reason" and "ideal resolution". before being able to type a message. These are not automated, they are your buyer messaging you.

1 Like

Jump to solution

This has happened to me a few days ago - buyer requested a cancellation , which was completed within 30 minutes, and a message was sent to the customer confirming action. The message was sent using the default address for the customer - a default option that showed previous many messages. It is very frustrating to be caught out by a technicality when a human intervention can clearly see that the 'rules' have been complied with.

I'm running a shop, not jumping through hoops.

1 Like

Jump to solution

@PropagandaPrintingCo , @TurningbyDesign   If you reply to a request through the refund, you still need to respond to the message in the message system.

The two systems are separate.  They are not linked together.

Any new message which has a blue dot has to to be answered.  There are no automated messages in messages,  A buyer sends a message or uses the message system under purchase to send a request to the seller.  The seller responds to these new messages in the message system. 

1 Like

Jump to solution

I’m aware that I am supposed to respond to the menu-generated help request messages. But it is ingrained in me to NOT reply to messages which appear to be generated by an automated system. I reply via separate message. It would be easy for etsy to add code to check for messages related to the menu-generated help requests rather than say “oh, you didn’t respond to this menu-generated message, and instead replied in a separate message to resolve the issue. 0% response rate”. I have replied to every message I have ever received within 24 hrs. The ones specifically that throw me off are the ones which are menu-generated. The input from customers is generally 5 words. Not hard to code something to account for this.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@PropagandaPrintingCo 

you absolutely have to reply to the "help request" message

That's the message that starts the time clicking for 48 hours to open a case, it THEY ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT MESSAGES you have.

They are deliberately separated out, because they are so important,
they are highlighted in blue,
they have the "help request" in a bubble,
and in the body of the message, it has the hand clasp, saying you have to reply, to the message
It really couldn't be any clearer.

If you don't reply, TO THAT MESSAGE, and they open a case, the bots will refund the buyer , and it will be recouped from you.

They are NOT automated messages, they are your customer, deliberately contacting you about their order

1 Like

Jump to solution

It looks like I don't answer messages in time to anyone who may look on my shop's front, as I don't have the star badge for it because I don't Have any messages for them to create stats from the last 3 months, grrrr. It's so silly.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

We see these posts all the time - Etsy needs to change the way they count messages and replies

No, they don't.

They set up a simple system two years ago that states (paraphrased) that you have to reply to a first message from anyone (buyer, seller, Queen of Sheba) within 24 hours.  Another simple workaround is to send the message to spam.

It's really the only thing we can actually control with the Star Seller Badge and it's really so simple - if someone thanks you - reply with an emoji or a you're welcome.  Thank you and You are welcome are your two best friends - learn to use them.  Another friend, although not as friendly, is the spam button.

Etsy isn't going to change anything to suit the random seller that can't be bothered to 1) read the rules or 2) obey the rules.

Don't expect Etsy to make it any easier for you - it's already as easy as falling off a log.

3 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.