Voogs
Crafty Poster

Category issue, problem when selecting 'Lanyards and badge holders' the shoppers will find you?????

When listing my new lanyard (women's), creating a new listing I have selected the category 'lanyard and badge holders' as usual. I make ladies lanyards btw. So have noticed that it now states that the categories that how shoppers will find you now sais the usual 'accessories' keychains' and then sais' 

• Gifts for Him
  • Gifts for Brother
  • Gifts for Boyfriend
  • Gifts for Dad
  • Gifts for Husband   (copy and paste)

No!!! I do not want my lanyards to be in men's categories. I type in the category 'Ladies lanyards', or women's lanyards etc. female into category....it reverts to the initial category for men. 

Why is this, what is happening and this is not right.

I am losing sales for how long as women are not seeing my lanyards? The category never used to say that and I have been on etsy since 2011....

Labels (3)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
7 Replies

Re: Category issue, problem when selecting 'Lanyards and badge holders' the shoppers will find you??

This holiday season Etsy is including all kinds of non-applicable categories to try to drum up any sales they can.  They are so desperate for sales they aren't relying on the proper categories.  Many are reporting for example, that they are having $100 items showing up in Gifts Under $30.

Of course, this will make sellers look bad, as buyers will assume it was sellers who were choosing the wrong categories to try to "game" the system.

0 Likes
Voogs
Crafty Poster

Re: Category issue, problem when selecting 'Lanyards and badge holders' the shoppers will find you??

No, this was never part of the category that it went to men's search. Iv'e been listing lanyards for 10 years. Was always just gift ideas etc., Not mens gifts, gifts for boyfriend...this is an error...Plus what is the 'holiday season' I am in Australia it is not a holiday here. But thank you for your response. I would like it changed. 

0 Likes

@Voogs ... the holiday is Christmas. If you sell worldwide, the holiday is whatever is relevant to the buyer. Etsy is gaming the system to get more sales. 

The search category is not just based on the one you put in when creating the listing. The search AI also takes your title/tag/description SEO into consideration when showing in a search. Other filters like location or whatever the buyer puts in are also a factor.

My advice would be to put your lanyards in the category most relevant and ignore the Etsy suggestions. Buyers also purchase according to their preferences, not always the same as the seller's. 

0 Likes
Voogs
Crafty Poster

The issue is...I want my items to be in the correct category in search! I want to at least know my items are being seen by the women I make them for. I want to know my listings exist and women have the opportunity to see them. Being in Mens is NOT what I make, create, supply too. Its like putting baby bottles in car parts...

0 Likes
Voogs
Crafty Poster

#AnniebelloPaper  'My advice would be to put your lanyards in the category most relevant and ignore the Etsy suggestions. Buyers also purchase according to their preferences, not always the same as the seller's. ..... Your advice? There is only one category for lanyards...there is no 'relevant' other category. If I type in what category I want, it reverts back., I have been on etsy since 2011. I am not a newbie and do know how search works and algorithms and relevancy etc. etc. But if etsy is throwing in a curve ball then no matter what my tags are...etsy's trump. No we are not celebrating holidays re Xmas here yet. Maybe if my lanyards where in 'gifts for her' then I would be making some Xmas sales too???

0 Likes

@Voogs if the only category is 'lanyards', that's where you put it. Sometimes Etsy changes categories and automatically moves our listings over. Annoying I know but not a lot we can do about it. 

When you say it reverts back, do you start typing and the system auto-fills the category? Try continuing to type the whole category you want and then hit enter.

Buyers purchase according to their preferences ... you say these are for women, but who's to say they won't appeal to any gender. 

We will all be 'celebrating' Christmas soon enough. Most online buyers are already purchasing, as you would know being a seasoned seller. The 'gifts for her' is such a broad search term. I think most buyers that don't put in something more specific are just window-shopping, looking for gift ideas. If they were looking for lanyards, they would put that in. 

I did take a look at your shop. When I think of a lanyard, I think of a robust thing with a fabric strap for a name tag, swipe card, ID or keys. I don't think of your beautiful delicate almost necklaces.

0 Likes
Voogs
Crafty Poster

Do Etsys tech people ever look at these posts and maybe act on them...?

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.