Cart pop up

Shopping on Etsy - I keep getting the cart pop-up, in search and listing pages.

Annoying under any circumstances - but particularly so when I have no items in cart, the item is not in my "saved for later", nor have I ever faved or carted it, as far as I can see from the thumbnail.  I can dismiss with an X, but it keeps coming back - the same item, whatever it is.  Pink jewel and silver something - may be jewelry or furniture/drawer knobs.  I can't even see what it is to click on, to remove in case it really is in my cart.  Doesn't appear to be something I would fave or cart.  Clicking just takes me to my empty cart.

Just an annoyance to me, as a shopper.  Wondering how many other shoppers will experience this.  If it's another ploy by Etsy, it's a really bad idea.

Honk if you LOVE pop-ups, anywhere!

* This is on laptop using Chrome

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
11 Likes
31 Replies

Re: Cart pop up

"Don't miss out on this item in your cart!

Get it before it’s gone"

Green checkmark over the thumbnail, X to dismiss the pop-up, and the black bar to "view cart and check out"

0 Likes
timelapse
Conversation Maker

@PillowDetails - I noticed the same thing this morning...and I am NOT honking!

(also on laptop w/ Chrome)

3 Likes

There is a new pop up and that is if it seems to teh AI you can't decide it asks about sharing.  I just x'd the darn thing out as I find pop ups anyplace (not just Etsy) a nuisance.

And yes the one about buying pops up even if you are only looking.  

1 Like

I keep my cart empty as I hate the pop ups following me about everywhere!

6 Likes
bohemians
Community Maker

As soon as I get a cart reminder … the item comes out of my cart.

The new one that asks if you need help making a decision (about something you are just looking at) is just another annoyance that diverts my attention and kind of spoils my little browsing ‘moment’.

10 Likes
CloesCloset
Conversation Maker

same here, my cart is empty, and I'm still getting the annoying pop-up!!!

5 Likes

I know how annoying this can be...  you can't make me buy things by annoying me...  I wish the powers that be would pay attention to these threads..  

2 Likes

@RHLJewelry 

You can't make me buy things by annoying me, either. I wonder if it does work on some people, though. Otherwise, it would be even more ridiculous to use so many popups. 

1 Like
heavyistheheart
Conversation Maker

Yes, I see it on my end as well. Even huge retailers like Amazon and Walmart don's do this. It makes an online shopping experience rather negative and annoying in my opinion. Kind of like what temu does

2 Likes

At least we haven't got the type that runs across the bottom of the page saying "Jenny G just bought product X in Centerville!" That one annoys me most of all. I don't care who else bought something from that shop. 

2 Likes
SmudgePlant
Community Maker

@Adorabilities 

Yeah, right...

You know as soon as you saw Jenny G bought it you had to have it.

2 Likes
Arcalliq
Community Maker

Dis-honk

un-honk

de-honk

mis-honk

anti-honk

non-honk

a-honk

..... I might have overdone it with coffee

11 Likes

@Arcalliq I don't get it!  

0 Likes
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

@JJewellerySuppliesUK   that is a response to Kathie's OP.  She said ...

"Honk if you LOVE pop-ups, anywhere!"

2 Likes
nineteen27
Community Maker

@JJewellerySuppliesUK 

the op said...

honk if you love pop ups... lol

this is my favorite response of the day.

1 Like

Ah, I see!  Thanks. 

0 Likes
BlaqKat
Conversation Maker

Seriously, everyone hates pop-ups! It's the whole reason IT bods created pop-up blockers. I never store anything in my cart because of the pop up, sometimes I get one when I fave something and I get a message (repeated) about how there's one left! Grab it before it goes.

I would love to know the figures on how many people complete a sale compared to those who remove their items from cart when they keep getting pop ups

3 Likes

I love shopping on-line ... it is just so convenient ... and the selection is so incredible. It's hard to remember shopping in stores hoping for just the right item.

But I hate nagging, pop-ups, being signed up for emails, being coerced into emails for a % off ... I usually just block the senders, put nagging sites on my 'don't shop there anymore' list. And I have actually cancelled orders because of nagging (most recent was buying something and within minutes getting 7 emails from them trying to get me to buy more).

But because of pop-ups and emails ... it makes me wonder if the shoppers that hate nagging a are a minority. And if nagging even works? Has anyone done a study to see if nagging improves sales or customer satisfaction?

And why do Etsy's Seller's TOUs protect buyer's privacy (which I wholeheartedly support) but Etsy does the opposite?

2 Likes
Arcalliq
Community Maker

,A 2015 survey by American Management Association (AMA) found annoying sales behaviors that lead to losing a customer: The top four are being too pushy (24%), not taking “no” for an answer (23%), not listening (18%) and talking too much (9%).'

In my humble opinion, those pop ups are too pushy, do not take 'no' for an answer, do not listen and talk too much all at the same time.

13 Likes

@GlassyFields “And why do Etsy's Seller's TOUs protect buyer's privacy (which I wholeheartedly support) but Etsy does the opposite?” An apparent case of do as I say, not as I do?

6 Likes
bohemians
Community Maker

Etsy is starting to remind me of shopping where they have commission sales people following you around the store and showing you things that aren't at all what you're looking for.

6 Likes

The pop up was already annoying before it went haywire.  I typically dumped what was in my cart and move on to another site if I had to buy multiple items because it was frustrating to work around.   Or, I'd stop shopping for multiple items on Etsy and just purchased the one needed item instead of the few I wanted.  I'd end up purchasing the other multiple items together on another site.  Due to the way Etsy has programmed the pop-up it gets in the way of searching which makes the shopping process unenjoyable and sometimes difficult as pausing and X-ing out that box is needed.  But this new empty cart feature simply increases the push off of the site.  I'm fairly certain this new cart pop-up problem will be fixed soon.  Hopefully it brings attention to the initial poorly programed cart pop-up so that marketing feature can be updated to become helpful rather than a hindrance.  Then this temporary problem would be worthwhile.    

3 Likes
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

This started for me yesterday. 

Nothing currently in my cart, and the item I'm being shown has never been in my cart.

How is Etsy managing to get so much so wrong all of a sudden?

12 Likes

They are making "improvements".  LOL!  

Sorry, just had to say it because this seems to be the norm nowadays.  

3 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.