Brand New Account Suspended

Hello All, 

Well like so many others I decided to start a brand new Etsy Shop. It had come to my attention from several past customers that they have a very hard time finding tutu skirt sellers that will work with them and their plus size needs. I have never rejected a person based on their size and have made skirts for women with up to a 75" natural waist. Motivated by a desire to fill this gap I have been working behind the sceens to come up with a new product line that is more plus size inclusive that will go from a 1X - 7X with waist sizes up to 75". This line will be soley dedicated to plus size individuals.

I went through the whole process of opening a new shop of which I just found out they now charge a $15 activation fee. BOO. Anyway, I just created the first listing, got my payment info stuff set up, and clicked pay the activation fee which went through, then instantly, right after I click submit payment button, my new account is suspended. No biggie I think to myself, they are just weeding out the drop shippers from the real handmakers. So I appeal the suspension. I explain that my item(s) are handmade by me, the pictures I used for the one listing that they make you create are my pictures (I use a mannaquinne to display my items), and I have no other team members and my item does follow all of Etsy's handmade policies. It took them 1 min to follow up my appeal with a " We've performed a comprehensive review of your account and the information you provided, and are unable to reconsider this decision." I wrote them back and am still waiting for them to respond. 

What a joke Etsy has become. Seriously, you follow all the rules and still get shut down. Not only that but the way they respond to you in writting or even on the phone, they talk to you as if you're stupid and unable to understand the rules.  

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
27 Replies
nineteen27
Community Maker

Re: Brand New Account Suspended

maybe etsy does not want you to sell tutus in both shops?

why not just sell the larger size in the shop you already have.

9 Likes

Thank you for your input. According to Etsy's guidelines, opening a second shop may be advisable when introducing a new line of products that significantly differs from your existing brand. While I could incorporate larger sizes into my current shop, my aim is to create a dedicated space exclusively for plus-size individuals. This new shop would offer a tailored experience, complete with unique size charts, photos, styles, and branding, specifically catering to the needs of plus-size customers. By adhering to Etsy's policies and maintaining differentiation between shops, I aim to provide a specialized platform where these customers feel represented and valued.

4 Likes
leinweberstudio
Conversation Maker

If your new shop was selling tuts as well then that would be the reason for the instant closure.

We are not allowed to sell the same product in more than one shop, and while some older shops do get away with violating this rule, it's the new shops that are currently being targeted for takedowns.

9 Likes

I realize that, that's why the product I listed is brand new and was never listed in my original shop. And yes you can have more than 1 shop that sells the same type of items just as long as it's not the exact same item or pictures. This shop will have different items, a different size chart, and caters to a different clientele. So this is in no way a duplicate shop. 

0 Likes

I thought the activation fee was not until April 1.

I think I can see why they closed your account.  You cannot have two shops that do the exact same thing.  This one you are posting from is tutus and so is the one Etsy closed?  You cannot have the same tutus on both.  Reading the about page seems to say to me that you are selling to children and adults alike in both shops. There is not enough distinction like children only in one and adults in another. 

2 Likes

You are correct, that my about me section says I have two shops. 1 sold to only adults and the other to adults and children. I recently closed that other shop down for just adults and haven't updated the about me page yet, and am now trying to open a brand new store catering to only plus size customers. You are allowed to have more than 1 shop that sells the same kind of things as long as the items in each shop are different, don't use the same pictures, don't use the same shop policies and ect. At least that was the way it was a few years back. Might have changed since then, who knows. 

1 Like
irmaKdesigns
Conversation Maker

@JDTotesnDolls "There is not enough distinction like children only in one and adults in another."

I think there's a big difference. 

2 Likes
nineteen27
Community Maker

i wonder if the $15 activation fee is refundable.

if they reject and close your shop right away.

2 Likes
AVAArtsSupplies
Conversation Maker

It would be funnier if it was not. They could use that to fund the next Super Bowl ad. 

6 Likes
nineteen27
Community Maker

@AVAArtsSupplies 

look.

https://www.etsy.com/legal/fees/

i brought it up yesterday.

and today etsy updated it.

To open your Etsy shop, you may be required to pay a one-time set-up fee of $15 USD or the converted equivalent in your local currency. Please note that if applicable, the set-up fee will be displayed and charged as part of the shop set-up process. During onboarding and upon your confirmation of this charge, we will initiate a pending transaction on your card.

This transaction will be processed after onboarding is complete, your shop is open, and you are able to receive orders on Etsy.

By providing your card information and approving the set-up fee, you authorize us to charge your designated payment method. The one-time set-up fee is non-refundable once paid

4 Likes

I would put the plus size tutus in your existing shop that has over 5,000 sales and good reviews. 

5 Likes

That's my next solution. 

0 Likes
Jewels2at
Community Maker

I already see one pic of a beautiful plus size model with a tutu on in this shop...and it is in 5 people's carts. 

I like the idea of 1 shop.  Your store is very appealing.

0 Likes

Thank you. My intention is to create a shop exclusively catering to plus-size individuals—a space where they feel represented and accommodated. I plan to implement a more size-inclusive chart, extending to larger sizes beyond what I currently offer in my existing shop. This endeavor is driven by the belief in providing equal access and options for all body types.

1 Like

@BBsTutuStore at times, I've been a +size and nothing annoys me more than having to go to a different shop to get something in my size. If you want to be more size-inclusive (and I absolutely applaud this), just include these products in your existing shop. It will be easier for those in need to find you because this shop has history online. Good luck with it.

9 Likes
irmaKdesigns
Conversation Maker

I can see why two or more shops sometimes are more appropriate. If you're selling adult sexy tutu and child tutu, that's a different target market. 

@BBsTutuStore "right after I click submit payment button, my new account is suspended." That's most likely a glitch and has nothing to do with both shops having similar items. I hope you get it sorted out.

2 Likes
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

Size is probably not considered a significant point of difference, otherwise shops would be able to have a size 10 shop, a size 12 shop, a size 14 shop etc.  all with the same items in them.  Effectively, a tutu is a tutu, size doesn't make it something else so it doesn't warrant a separate shop.  

2 Likes
digitaldoodlebug
Conversation Maker

Yep. And having 10 tutu shops, one for every size, could allow a seller to dominate search for tutus. That's no different than having a pink tutu shop or a blue tutu shop. It's not significantly different. If that is the reason for the rejection then etsy is going the right direction. 

2 Likes
FancyTogs
Community Maker

Size can have a significant legal tax difference in the UK.

• Adult clothing has Standard Rate VAT (20%)
  • Children's clothing is Zero Rated VAT

Adult and children's items must be separated and clearly marked.

. . . just sayin'

Lawrence (Clare's other half)

7 Likes

@FancyTogs separated and clearly marked absolutely but they do not have to be sold in different shops. Could you imagine that in real life ... yikes!

Just wondering if the VAT thing is taken into account for online orders? How would that work in reality? Plenty of shops sell adult and children's clothing. The product that comes to mind immediately is the 'mummy'n'me' sets.

0 Likes
FancyTogs
Community Maker

@AnniebelloPaper 

"The product that comes to mind immediately is the 'mummy'n'me' sets."

That is simple . . . Standard Rate 20% VAT on the set because the children's part is not a separate item.

Lawrence

2 Likes

@FancyTogs thanks. That was my assumption but you never know the convoluted rules these days : )

0 Likes

I would log a e-mail ticket with etsy,

say what you are trying to do - and say your marketing strategies will be different, as the audience is very different, and see what they say

Etsy used to have very clear guidance on what you could and couldn't do - but they removed it - so I would definitely log a ticket, and get it in black and white.

4 Likes

If your tutus for any size are found through a search and you have a successful shop already then the buyer wouldn’t know if it is an old shop or new one.   Just expand your offerings.  Looks like you have a winner already!  Good luck.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.