BlackCatTheory
Conversation Maker

Black square as thumbnail when creating new listing

Jump to solution

It started last night. My listings are showing a black square as its thumbnail, instead of the picture. I tried: clearing cache, restating, re-logging in, creating a duplicate, switching pictures, re-uploading my pictures... nothing works. I am working on a W11 laptop. Any help is appreciated.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
8 Likes
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
BlackCatTheory
Conversation Maker

Re: Black square as thumbnail when creating new listing

Jump to solution

@MossAndTwigPaperCo  I think I figured it out - our photos are over 5mb. One of mine was 5.17 and after I fixed it to be below 5 I was okay. I wish Etsy could just be like all the other websites and simply say "Photo too large"

View solution in original post

9 Likes

Jump to solution

Hello there,

Please know that our engineering team is currently looking into an issue as to why some listing image are showing as black square. I’ve added all of the details you all provided, so they have more information to work with. At this time, we do not have a timeline for when this issue will be resolved but please know that we prioritize issues based on the impact to our members.

Thank you very much!

View solution in original post

3 Likes
24 Replies

Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue, and have done all the same "fixes", but they didn't work

4 Likes
BlackCatTheory
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@MossAndTwigPaperCo  I think I figured it out - our photos are over 5mb. One of mine was 5.17 and after I fixed it to be below 5 I was okay. I wish Etsy could just be like all the other websites and simply say "Photo too large"

9 Likes

Jump to solution

Hello there,

Please know that our engineering team is currently looking into an issue as to why some listing image are showing as black square. I’ve added all of the details you all provided, so they have more information to work with. At this time, we do not have a timeline for when this issue will be resolved but please know that we prioritize issues based on the impact to our members.

Thank you very much!

3 Likes
ObjectFound
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Same issue here.  When I open an incognito window and look at my etsy store homepage, the images seem to be appearing fine.  So it looks like the glitch is on the internal dashboard page for listings.  The customers are hopefully not seeing the same problem. 

6 Likes
BlackCatTheory
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@ObjectFound  See my response to MossandTwig. I think I figured it out.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I'm thinking it may a glitch, as ObjectFound mentioned - it appears fine sometimes, then switches to something else - right now one of mine is showing a gold foil look square, but the others appear fine - if I go back, all look fine, then it will switch to either blank or black squares and cycles through the listings. Hopefully, they will become aware of this soon and look into it for us!

2 Likes

Jump to solution

I thought it was my internet connection.  Thanks, now I know I'm not going insane.

1 Like

Jump to solution

@LAPrintables I have just looked at your shop and on your "How Old Was the Bride To Be Bridal Shower Game" I am seeing a grey picture on your main page. However when I click into your listing the picture appears fine.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

There are quite a few reports of this and similar issues including https://community.etsy.com/t5/Technical-Issues/first-pictures-all-black-not-visible/m-p/141292281#M7...

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Photos have to be around 1 MB for them to list.  Etsy has in place the system that creates the thumbnail from the first photo.

Make sure your photos are around 1 MB for Etsy.   

0 Likes
6DogArtsPrints
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

My order confirmation emails show black squares instead of the listing picture thumbnails today. And the sales are unusually very low for the last two days (I am talking about all my shops). I am afraid not only sellers see those black holes all over Etsy

For those who suggested it's our fault, my listing pictures are 350-370 KB each.

3 Likes
BlackCatTheory
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Make sure your pictures are 1mb to 5 mb. Not under and not over. It fixed the issue for me.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I've had images that have been visible for months that are now not visible. This shouldn't all of a sudden start happening.

4 Likes

Jump to solution

@ZiaDesignDungeon - Agree. If image size were the case then why would it suddenly be happening on older listings? I spoke with Etsy about this yesterday, nothing was mentioned regarding image size. The rep was going with problems with internet connectivity. If that were the case then why am I seeing this on my phone? In addition, I'm shopping fine elsewhere, no issues, except Etsy.

4 Likes

Jump to solution

@ZiaDesignDungeon - In addition, are the first image sizes the same on these two listings in your shop?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1406660848/cna-nurse-nursing-medical-sunflower?click_key=6e89210fd414a1...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1288318677/many-have-eaten-in-my-kitchen-few-have?click_key=ce2e9221eea...

They both show they were listed on 2-19 yet the first one, the CNA nurse shows a white square on my end where the listing image should be, the other one appears fine.

1 Like

Jump to solution

Exactly. This is an issue for Etsy tech support to fix.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@ColorfulCastAndCrew exactly and for me it's happening with my thumbnail images so the original image is fine. When I resize the thumbnail it becomes a problem. I'm starting to get a bit concerned after reading news articles about Etsy's failing shares and the future of Etsy. I hoping the service isn't starting to go down hill more 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Yes, I was having the same issue as well regarding cropping. Unfortunately the other thread about this issue is a month old, that's also the last time an admin. responded to this issue. Etsy isn't famous for fixing what's broken, they tend to focus on plowing ahead with badges and other flair that don't mean a hoot. Who cares if a shop is a star seller if the buyers can't see their listings?

4 Likes

Jump to solution

I'm seeing the same issue, every 10th listing or so... in my Listings dashboard and on my Orders page for an affected listing that sold.

Fortunately, in Incognito mode, it doesn't seem to be showing up in my public-facing shop at all. *For me, it seems to be a sellers' Shop Manager issue only.* Still needs prompt addressing and fixing by Etsy tech support, though, please!

1 Like

Jump to solution

I have random black squares appearing in my listings manager.

There is NO F@#%ING WAY I can go back and adjust every single individual photo for hundreds of listings.

There's so much wrong here that they simply refuse to acknowledge or fix. Long term ongoing issues they just choose to ignore, while dangling shiny new useless crap in front of us to distract us.

3 Likes

Jump to solution

Has anyone tried printing out their orders. As I've been getting those black boxes on my order invoice slips too

2 Likes

Jump to solution

@LylaSupplies yes I printed out my order receipts and they're also showing black square in some items 

0 Likes
LanaLuckyFinds
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Same.  printed out one order and it was a black square.

0 Likes
DragoninKnots
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Was this resolved?

I have one listing that is showing as a red-orange rectangle in my shop and a white rectangle in the Shop Manager. I can't figure out why this listing was singled out. I batch resize my photos, so they should all be a similar file size.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.