KrissyEwinsArt
Inspiration Seeker

Bestseller wrongly removed for “violating handmade policy”. Just found the design stolen on Shein!

Hello all!

I was very disappointed yesterday to see an email that my bestseller had been take down. A big blow to my shop and super discouraging. I immediately contacted the help desk through the live chat for it to be reviewed and was told it was escalated and I’d receive an email when it had been looked at. However, after reading around about people with a similar issue, it seems that can be a very long process and sometimes ineffective.

I also read that apparently Etsy’s systems can flag listings as unoriginal/mass produced if they appear on other sites. So after a reverse image search I found it on Shein! Has anyone successfully dealt with this problem before? Whether it’s getting stolen work taken off sites like that, or proving to Etsy it’s indeed your own original handmade product?

Thank you for any help and insight to this!

Krissy

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
4 Replies

Re: Bestseller wrongly removed for “violating handmade policy”. Just found the design stolen on Shei

If it was posted on Shein the bots probably assumed it was mass produced and removed it.  You can file a DMCA with Shein and contact google about taking it out of search results.  Then alert Etsy to this and hope for the best.

3 Likes
KrissyEwinsArt
Inspiration Seeker

Re: Bestseller wrongly removed for “violating handmade policy”. Just found the design stolen on Shei

Thanks for your reply, I’ll give this a try!

0 Likes
KrissyEwinsArt
Inspiration Seeker

Update #1 for anyone else going through the same.

After the live chat saying they’d escalated it a few days ago I’d heard nothing so I contacted Etsy through their help centre this morning instead with a PDF showing the layers and steps of the illustration involved. I’ve just received a copy of the original email telling me about the handmade policy again. I then also received a reply saying amongst other things:

“ to clarify, your item(s) were removed for not meeting the criteria for what qualifies for sale on Etsy. Items listed as Handmade must be made or designed by you, the seller. The item(s) we removed from your shop appear to be commercially available. Sellers may not sell items which they have neither designed or created.”

Of course my product IS designed and created by me This just confirms to me it is because of one of the sites like Shein/Alibaba etc. I’ve managed to get it taken off Shein but Google wasn’t very helpful in removing the search result to it. I’m also not sure if I’ve actually managed to find everywhere that the product has been stolen. The Shein one was the only one I could find. 

I replied to the help ticket saying I still needed help so here’s hoping I can get an actual human to look at it. All while the “Keep Commerce Human” slogan sits staring at me in the corner of the help centre lol.

3 Likes

Great suggestions here for getting these issues resolved: https://www.reddit.com/r/Etsy/comments/1c0kpla/comment/kyysak7/

I hope you get this fixed soon! 

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.