Been here since 2010. Not a robot then, not a robot now

This "click on every photo that's a motorcycle/crosswalk/bus" login crap has got to stop. Yesterday, I did it 12 times before just abandoning Etsy. I've been a seller for 13 years using the same IP address. Etsy should know by now that I'm not a freaking bot.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
9 Likes
23 Replies

Re: Been here since 2010. Not a robot then, not a robot now

Etsy has had the captcha in place for several years now.

I have found to look carefully at all photos, If even a smidge appears in another photo click on that photo.

Do you clear out cache and cookies often?  One reason to get captcha a great deal.  Also if using muliple devices or a new device can trigger.  So can any update that is considerable.

Those are about the only times I get recaptcha.

And Etsy doesn't know you just like it doesn't know me.  We have to employ some leniency with security measures 

2 Likes

Captchas, although essential for security, can be frustrating, I get it. Regardless of your long-standing seller status and consistent IP address, captchas will continue to pop up for various reasons…they aren’t solely IP-based. They consider multiple factors like browsing behavior, location, device, etc. I get it’s annoying, but Etsy is extremely unlikely to change this. The result of not have robust captchas would be far more annoying

3 Likes

@LilyWhitepad: "Etsy should know by now that I'm not a freaking bot." Actually it is Google that is questioning your humanism. Every time you go to a page protected by reCaptcha it calculates a score - if that score is below the threshold set by the hosting site (in this case Etsy) it starts the reCaptcha image cycle until Google is satisfied that you are a human.

0 Likes

OK, I'll be POd with Google then, which also should know. Etsy must have a very low threshold for me, thank them very much.

1 Like

@LilyWhitepad: I do not believe that the threshold can be adapted based on who is accessing the page or target a specific user. While Google does not share its magic recipe for how it calculates you score there are some known factors: the reputation of your IP address, if you are using a VPN, what browser you are using, if your browser is blocking tracking, what extensions are on your browser, whether or not you are currently logged into Google, viruses or malware on your computer or modem, if you are using a proxy server, your search history, your cookies, etc etc etc.

1 Like

bleep bleep - Etsy itself is a bot

3 Likes

Are you SURE? Lol. I get that on chrome more than MSEdge. Try a different browser. 

0 Likes

Etsy states:

Here are some browsers that work well with Etsy and may update automatically:

I use an Etsy approved browser. Why would I change?

0 Likes

Number 1 I was talking to the OP but yes I didn't tag her. 2.Well..it is up to you if you want to continue banging your head against the wall instead of trying a possible fix ..that is your choice.. But for me Chrome has always had issues with Etsy. And note that use of Etsy's favorite word "may".

0 Likes

I can't reply to SurmanPro, but I use Firefox. And I still have to verify that I'm human for the sixth day now.

0 Likes

That and maybe try using a VPN? It keeps things more secure and private, the one I am using has been smooth with Etsy.

0 Likes

Am I the only one that finds it ironic that we must prove to a robot that we are not a robot, but a human?  I find that really amusing! 

And I use Firefox and have NEVER encountered the captcha.  But when I had an iPad (it finally died) and used it (Safari, I never used the app) I got it every single time.

2 Likes

I have Firefox and get it ALL the time.

1 Like

Hi - I think there might be a technical glitch here someone should look at-

I had to delete my cookies and clear my history due to an issue not related to etsy.  Ever since I have difficulty logging in.

I use Firefox - I'm on east coast of the USA - it is 5:07 PM - it is the first time I've been able to log in today. I've tried multiple times and I just seem to be in a captcha loop - I actually did it so many times the pictures started to repeat.  Something doesn't seem right.  I'm set up for security to send a code to my phone to make sure it's me but that didn't happen all day - just the captcha loop.

So I ran cccleaner on my machine and tried again.  After 4 or 5 captcha images it finally send a code to my phone so I can log in.

1 Like

So again this AM I had to run a cccleaner on my machine before it would send me my security code to login

0 Likes

I tried over 7 times to do that captcha thing,yesterday. Very annoying and time wasting.  It just appeared a few days ago. I hate trying to log in now.

2 Likes
heavyistheheart
Conversation Maker

Post made me laugh. I agree. Also AI can get past those anyway

1 Like
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

If it doesn't work the first time, I find if I close the window and start over, it goes smoothly.

I'm on Firefox.

0 Likes

I tried that it didn't work for me.  I use Firefox too.

0 Likes
BluKatDesign
Conversation Maker

I am on firefox and I got a ton of those yesterday! It is crazy!

0 Likes

I'm on Firefox and get it all the time. Then I won't get it for a while. I also would get the over and over and over clicking on the photos with a truck, fire hydrant, cross walk, whatever.

I found that if I click on the little headphones and type in what I hear that works the first time every time.

1 Like
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

I haven't received the Captcha in probably over a year. But I got it today upon Signing In.  Nothing has changed (same desktop computer, Chrome, Windows 10).  Prior to this, when my Shop was On Vacation last year, I would get the Red Error Banner every single time upon Sign In. I would do a Hard Refresh Ctrl+F5, and it would would get me in. When I opened Shop this year (Aug. 27), the Red Error Banner went away for my entire selling season (Fall). It has not returned since then.  But I get the Captcha today. Fortunately I had to do it once (with one screen of Bus photos). But still....BOO!

0 Likes

I've now had it everyday for weeks. This morning, I had to do it about a dozen times. Honestly, it makes me want to abandon the site.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.