Does anyone else have a Bad request pop up while browsing on Etsy?  This started happening a few days ago. It only happens when I am looking through Etsy.  Clearing my cache doesn't help.

Chrysalism
Conversation Maker

Re: Bad Request while browsing on Etsy

Is this increasing in frequency for anyone else? I have to clear my cache 4-5 times a day the last few days, it's driving me batty! It's only on Etsy, no other websites.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like

Yes - I have to constantly reboot.  Clearing the cache does nothing. 

1 Like
FrenchPaperMoon
Inspiration Seeker

I cannot access my shop and Etsy in general at all, this started a few days ago but now I am completely locked out--I have cleared my cache and restarted my computer and nothing works, I have never had this problem and have been on Etsy for close to 10 years!

0 Likes

@FrenchPaperMoon: "I cannot access my shop and Etsy in general" Exactly what "error" are you getting?

0 Likes

it keeps happening to me as well.  once again already today, so far.  for the last couple weeks it's been doing it, constantly.  

0 Likes

400 bad request 

Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
Size of a request header field exceeds server limit.

that's what mine shows. I can't click to my shop, dashboard, search, or any other shop.  a moment ago, I couldn't access forums either.

3 Likes

This happened to me once last week and clearing my cookies solved the problem. Today it’s happening constantly and I can’t even access my dashboard unless I get on my phone…

1 Like

Also want to note this only seems to be happening when I use Chrome on my laptop. Not having an issue with Chrome on my phone or when I use Firefox on my laptop…

0 Likes

It's happening to me using Microsoft Edge - I also have no problem using the phone app

0 Likes

This error message seems to be happening to a lot of us - using all different browsers.

Is it possible the problem is on Etsy's end and not all of us?  And if it is - what can we do?  

Customer support said it was on my end - I replied that it is happening to a lot of us - haven't heard back from that. 

2 Likes

@CindyLBoutique it is not on your end. It is on the Etsy server end.

1 Like

Same here same problem when I click on Etsy stores..

2 Likes
ShellysSweets
Community Curator

I too am experiencing this 400 server error, have been for days.  And I checked on the site "Down detector" where others have reported the same issue for THREE weeks, at least!!  So, I don't believe for a minute that the problem isn't on Etsy's side!!!!  I too cleared cache, etc...that did nothing.  The site will work for a few minutes, sometimes a few hours, then I'll get the error again?!  Today I switched browsers (I typically use Chrome) to Firefox and before long, I experienced the same issue on THAT browser.  If Etsy won't even acknowledge that this is a wide-spread issue, then apparently we cannot expect them to FIX IT.  There are other current issues as well.......try to create a new listing and you'll find the item weight field is POOF, GONE.  There is literally nowhere on the listing template to enter the item weight.  So the system flags the listing when you try to submit.  This has also been reported here in the forums.  Etsy is tinkering around with all these ridiculous "improvements" and creating havoc on the site!  

3 Likes

again for the time being, just go to check messages and navigate to the dashboard from there.

0 Likes
ShellysSweets
Community Curator

I should also say that I'm working from a desktop computer.  Mobile seems to be fine, but I don't/won't create listings from my phone.  I do 95% of my business tasks on a desktop.  

2 Likes

Most important the way it is damaging my sales shop and brand. 

I too have been reporting this issue to etsy for at least three weeks now and maybe more. The online support they offer to etsy star shop owners is NO help as they are in another country and know nothing about the tech behind etsy.

Further they really know very little about etsy at all. For example, today I again signed into the etsy chat support and explained as simply as possible the urgency of the problem I was having. Not being able to get into my shop without getting the bad request message. Having a vast background in online communications and this technology I know that I am talking about and understand that I am chatting with a lovely person who English is not his or her first language I attempt to be as considerate as possible while attempting to explain the seriousness of the issues from my perspective. Aug and Sept are the biggest months for my shop and so far instead of the usual 3000 minimum in sales I have 0 sales for the past month.  Unheard of for my shop.

The person at the other end after my explaining that I can't edit or add new listings sent me this..."So just to confirm that a potential buyer can't add or purchase an item from your shop?" so I have to spend another 10 minutes explaining that no customer can add product to my shop that the issue is I cannot update add or access my shop etc. Then they ask if I have emptied my cache. I explain that I have several computers and am currently using a brand new beefed-up custom-built Mac Mini Pro and there is really nothing in the cache to empty.

I try so hard to make my statements simple as I know that English is not the persons first language, but this is really becoming so discouraging and so very frustrating. My sales are not just down they are at 0 and my other shops are seeing the same thing.  I checked sales for the past four years for the same time period in each shop and it is the same on all of them.  I attempted to explain that this is having a profound effect on my band, my income etc.  That I am not only deeply disappointed with what feels like etsys lack of care for the shop owners and I get the following response.

“Sorry for the inconvenient, Katherine. It's just our team need more time to check this more deeper since a lot of member are having this kind of issue. So they need to verify thoroughly where and what is the main reason of this”

I respond that I have saved all the chats I have been having with them over the past month and that is what they say every time. It is actually a word for word copy paste response.  So far to date I have not received one single email from anyone at etsy regarding this problem.

If anyone has any idea how to reach someone in the tech area at Etsy I am confident that if they really knew what was going on they could and would fix it in a very short time.  At least that is what happened back when we had a number to call and report these sorts of problems.

Don’t get me wrong I love etsy and all that they stand for.  I understand their issues with regard to running a system of this size.  I am however worried that they either are taking a very different direction from what they have shared in the past to shop owners or they don’t know the suffering they are causing or what the problems really are.  At any rate I hope to find a way to get the message to some tech people at etsy and then if they can’t help I guess I will need to explore moving on.  Which will make me very sad indeed.

1 Like
UppNorthCo
Community Maker

wow, a grammatically incorrect response is copy/pasted.  that speaks volumes right there.

0 Likes

It's driving me crazy - and I've had 3 Etsy Customer Service people - each time a new one replies they say they are taking over my case. 

I keep linking them to the page showing all of us having this same problem.

They told me to try getting to Etsy thru private window - that works but I can't use my everbee tool and they have to constantly send me a code to prove I'm me. 

Sometimes I am signed in and just going to orders or new listings I get the error. So I can't even move on the website. 

0 Likes

Every time I respond to Etsy I get a new person replying back.  They have no clue what is going on and are useless to help so far.  They say they are from tech support at Etsy but they really have no clue.  And I constantly get a new person saying they are taking over my "case" I have never had a reply from the same person twice. 

Not sure what to do - I am constantly having to reboot throughout the day. 

0 Likes

well for some reason etsy allowed the above post but would not allow me to edit my copy paste as I typed it in word.  Etsy did however send me a message while attempting to respond to this post from two other shops in a big red banner "Reply Sorry, unable to complete the action you requested"  I honestly have no idea what is going on at their end but they really MUST get if fixed fast!

0 Likes
Chrysalism
Conversation Maker

I am stuck clearing my cache 20+ times a day now, I can barely use the site at this point. Etsy this problem is clearly happening to a large number of users, please do something to resolve it.

2 Likes

it is also happening in search which is broken. When you type a query into search you go to that bad request page. I assume this will affect customers searching for products too. I did talk to online support - they ask me "have you been on vacation mode" which if I had they would be able to see that and no, I have not. Right now, whatever the problem is, support is not providing answers.

1 Like
UppNorthCo
Community Maker

adding my voice to say how freaking annoying this is.  it has been ongoing intermittently for days in my other shop which I run in Chrome.  this shop in Firefox has never happened.

2 Likes

i did find on Microsoft Help that if you go into your command prompt and clear your DNS the problem seems to go away - at least for the moment. It is a headache though because you will need to sign into all websites again including your social media accounts to cross post. I would say, then, this problem is a Microsoft issue not necessarily an Etsy issue.

0 Likes

I had this happen a few months ago, someone suggested checking if I had a security update which had not been installed. 

Even though I know that it is set to update and install automatically, I checked anyway and noticed one of the security updates from my internet security had not updated, so I instantly updated and installed rebooted and have not had the problem since. (mostly using chrome)

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.