HuggableBears
Inspiration Seeker

Auto translator problem

Hello, I sell pdf downloads in English only. When customers read my page in another language the word “English” gets translated into whatever language they are reading. I then get complaints that I state on listings that the pattern is written in German, Italian, French or whatever. 

I’ve tried everything I can think of to stop this happen, even typing ing caps THIS PATTERN IS WRITTEN IN ENGLISH. But it still seems to be translating into the local language. Any advice or tips please. 

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
4 Replies
SmudgePlant
Community Maker

Re: Auto translator problem

Since your patterns are only written in English, maybe you should turn off the Auto Translator in your shop:

https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000343048?segment=selling

Sign in to Etsy.com and go to Shop Manager.
Go to Settings and then Options.
Scroll down to the Automatic Listing Translation box and select Disabled.
Select Save.

1 Like
OwlAlwaysKnit
Conversation Maker

In the translator the word English would translate to whatever the word English would be in their language eg English would translate to Anglaise in French

I would suggest maybe use up one of the photo slots possibly the 2nd slot with THIS PATTERN IS WRITTEN IN ENGLISH in each listing.

Hope that makes sense and helps a bit

0 Likes

This is also happening to me. I was recently left a 1 star review by a French Lady who accused me of scamming her. I've tried to contact Etsy but only got a canned response with links to their generic help pages

0 Likes
Vintorious
Community Maker

You could rephrase to say "THIS PATTERN DOES NOT TRANSLATE TO OTHER LANGUAGES THAN MY OWN" or similar, so that buyers know it is only going to come in one language.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.