Am i allowed to log-in from Egypt?

Jump to solution

Hello!
I'm going on vacation and will visit Egypt. Just for several days. Is it save to log-in from this country to manage my store and post listings? Can't find Egypt in any ETSY restriction list or USA finance-restriction list or smth. Thank you for any information in advance!

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Am i allowed to log-in from Egypt?

Jump to solution

Received information from Support. They are saying it is totally ok to log-in from Egypt. They monitor our IP, location, consistency and interval of the time we accessed our shop. So if the algorithm thinks that you have suspicions activity like new IP and instant change of banking info, they block you. But if you are doing your regular routine and don't log in from Russia, Iran and other RESTRICTED countries- you good to go! 

View solution in original post

5 Likes
11 Replies

Jump to solution

Since Egypt is not in the list of countries that sellers can have shops in, I personally wouldn't risk it. Using an IP address there can flag your shop, and using a VPN to hide your location is almost guaranteed to get you in trouble. You can always check with support, but from what I've seen they'll just send you here to ask other sellers, because we tend to be more knowledgeable than them. But unless someone here has personal experience, it's hard to say for sure what, if anything, would happen while logging in from there. 

2 Likes

Jump to solution

If you are logging in while travelling use the device you have used in the past i.e. your phone or pad, it should be logged as a trusted device. (also use the browser on your phone or pad when handling your shop, the app does not seem to be able to do everything)

2 Likes

Jump to solution

OP, before you endanger your shop, submit a request to Etsy about your plans to visit Egypt and create listings while there. Frankly, I would put my shop on vacation and check on it when I was back home.

4 Likes
IndustrialBlonde
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

I have no words of wisdom. I just want to say - EGYPT!  How wonderful!

0 Likes
jaenshi
Crafty Poster

Jump to solution

Don't listen to misinformation about VPNs. Using a VPN if you are worried about an Egyptian IP is perfectly fine and there will be no issues with it, other than maybe you'll get few more "are you a human" verification prompts. Your presumably American carrier two-factor number is not something an Egyptian resident would have anyways, for example. You can keep the old Merican-baked cookies so the browser will be identifiable if you're that worried. Furthermore, your Egyptian IP concerns aside, you should absolutely use a VPN when handling anything potentially sensitive, like financial info. Do you trust Etsy's encryption and data security alone? On a random mystery network in Egypt, like a hotel room network? Again, do not take advice from people who clearly think the internet is like a series of tubes and that neural networks are demons turning Frogger gay.

0 Likes
TastefulArtisan
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

If you are going to Egypt, put your shop on vacation and enjoy yourself! Never been but it's on my bucket list. The very last thing on my mind while gazing upon the pyramids would be Etsy. 

Put the shop aside and have a blast!

7 Likes

Jump to solution

I was there for 2 weeks between 2004-2005, spent New Year's on a boat on the Nile. I think my favorite part of the whole trip was the street food. And my boss at the time was super worried about me travelling there, so he gave me a phone that would work (because remember, this was still years before smart phones) and I had to call into work every day and check in to let them know i was ok. It would be nice to go back and not have to think about work this time. 

1 Like

Jump to solution

Received information from Support. They are saying it is totally ok to log-in from Egypt. They monitor our IP, location, consistency and interval of the time we accessed our shop. So if the algorithm thinks that you have suspicions activity like new IP and instant change of banking info, they block you. But if you are doing your regular routine and don't log in from Russia, Iran and other RESTRICTED countries- you good to go! 

5 Likes

Jump to solution

That's great! I'm actually even more happy they gave you a real answer and not a vague run around. Enjoy your trip! Have some koshary for me.(:

3 Likes

Jump to solution

Thank you! That is basically magic that they answer me and provide some detailed information. Loved it. Cause my friends store was suspended few weeks ago and still he hasn't received any information from support:/ So i guess sometimes you are lucky to receive answers and sometimes not

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Hey curious did you end up getting to Egypt and logging in fine? I’m looking to do the same soon. Thanks!

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.