A brand new pop up to annoy me.

I have had my account since 2007.  But today for the first time ever, I’m getting a pop up dead center In the middle of my screen that says “complete your account by turning on e-mail notifications.”  I had been getting the one in the bottom right corner that asked somewhat politely that if I wanted to sign up for email notifications for sales of my favorite items, etc.   In the beginning I could click them to get rid of that one.  Then the x stopped working.  Now this.  On top of the annoying orange dot bugging me endlessly to leave feedback.  Having this new pop up asking me to complete my 15 year old account.  It doesn’t even give me the option to decline.  I close it and it just comes back later.  I’ve gotten it 3 times in two hours.  So Etsy are just trying to make people shop elsewhere?   Because this one truly is over and above acceptable.  

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
32 Replies

Re: A brand new pop up to annoy me.

Have you tried clearing your cache? Using another browser?

0 Likes

This pop up literally just started a few hours ago.  But doing those things never got rid of the one in the corner or the annoying orange dot wanting feedback.  Also it’s doing it on 3 devices.  

1 Like

Nope it's a new pop up for the e-mail that Etsy wants for favorites or notifications.  Fortunately it only happens once each sign in.  It follows to browsers and cleaning cache doesn't remove it.    

1 Like
anythinggoeshere
Conversation Maker

Is this pop up a deal breaker for you?  If not you will probably just have to get used to it.  This is how things work on world wide web sites.  They all have annoyances.

3 Likes

Probably one wouldn't be.  But here, I put something in my cart and a pop up INSTANTLY tells me to hurry because it's almost gone.  That one blocks other listings in the same shop I might be looking at so I have to stop and close it.  I have that ever present orange dot that you cannot get rid of, it says I need to leave feed back for 59 items.  I buy supplies.  Sometimes an order has 20 kinds of ribbon.  I am not going to leave 20 individual feedbacks for one order.  I have a life.  I also get a pop up across the top telling me to leave feedback.  Then I get the one in the bottom right that says please sign up for e-mails so we can bug you further to buy stuff when you aren't on the site and fill your inbox with garbage.  You can't make that one go away anymore.  Now I have one that is in the center, but it covers the entire screen until I close it.  So yeah it might be a deal breaker.  A seller lost out on a $50 sale this morning because I was annoyed over this and abandoned my cart.  And you can bet that there are lots of other people who are annoyed too.  How much junk does Etsy have to cover the screen with?  If you think it's not hurting sales, you would be wrong.

4 Likes
anythinggoeshere
Conversation Maker

I am not going to worry about it, but I can see you might stop buying here.  It might be one too many things to deal with for you.

0 Likes

You kind of make it sound like I’m exaggerating this issue.  How many pop ups do find acceptable? You have to understand every time someone shifts focus from shopping to close a pop up you are losing sales.  The one that pops up telling me something is almost gone and to hurry and buy it…well if that pops up and I’m looking at more items from that shop I usually quit and either just buy the one item, or abandon the purchase all together.  So it’s great if it doesn’t bother you, but it does bother other people because they don’t have the time and/or energy to deal with it.

10 Likes

Mine hasn’t reached the dead center yet, but I have been disabled from hitting the X to remove the pop up in the corner. 
I hope it’s not something all users get because, as a customer, I leave my cart and walk away when I get the constant pop up asking me to enter my email.  
Same when I’m trying to read a news article, I’ll just back out and find a more user friendly sight. 

10 Likes
anythinggoeshere
Conversation Maker

I just saw it and clicked the X to remove it.

0 Likes
anythinggoeshere
Conversation Maker

I won't leave Etsy over a pop up, but that is because this is the best site online for selling my products and I buy a lot here too.  

But I understand that people may leave because of it.  People don't shop on a variety of online shops for a variety of reasons.  We sellers can't fix all of those reasons.

0 Likes

Totally forgot to add, not only can I not use the X to click it off, but it won’t actually allow me to click and fill out my email either. 

On the upside, it’s partially covering the pop up reminders to leave reviews!

1 Like

@SmolThingsConsidered   not being able to use the x may be your computer or browser set up.  

I can easily x out of it. 

I can live with it even though a grrr each time it pops up which fortunately is only once each session I log on.

0 Likes

Same here, and that is exactly what I did this morning.  I was going to buy something and I left.  I have no desire to buy something from a site that bugs me non stop for my email.

3 Likes

@SmolThingsConsidered  - Maybe, just maybe, there is some sort of notification or banner shown in the Shop Manager? That if you click on it to read or confirm you've seen it, then the pop-up might go away?

0 Likes

Sadly, no.  
I even went so far as to delete all notifications in my shop manager thinking you might be on to something, but no luck.  
(Don’t know if it makes a difference but I’m using desktop not app)

1 Like

But I am just a customer.  I haven't used my shop in years on Etsy.

0 Likes
TBQSC
Community Maker

Could your computer settings need adjusting ... block pop ups, enable ad blocker, security scan, etc.?

1 Like

I have an ad blocker, this is coming up anyway.

0 Likes

I get that pop-up when I click my avatar (desktop) to view items & shops I've saved as favourites.  

I don't want their email notifications.  My current account settings only allows notification if someone messages me - this is the only notification I want and I should not be pestered by Etsy to sign up for their daily spamfest.

5 Likes

I have the same thing and also find it very annoying because it won't click off. I have all of the emails I want from Etsy. They do seem to want to make this site as aggravating as possible to do business on these days. Using a popup blocker takes it away, but interestingly enough, it also removes your "add to cart" button and the only thing you can do is add an item to a collection.

2 Likes

Very very much dislike pop ups of any kind and find them highly annoying. They don’t make me buy or act, they make me leave a site instantly. Really wish Etsy didn’t do this. 

7 Likes
leinweberstudio
Conversation Maker

I know.

On one hand, they say they want to increase buyer numbers and buyer retention, and on the other hand they do everything they can think of to annoy buyers and drive them away.

Make up your mind, Etsy, what do you REALLY want???

6 Likes
NanaLetha
Community Maker

I have it also and even though there is an X, it does not remove it. Very annoying.

4 Likes

Well thankfully this new one does have an X because the box is in the center of the screen but this one darkens the rest of the screen and you can't click anything until you close it.  So if it goes like the other one that you eventually can't close in the bottom corner, then you won't be able to do anything at all on the site and would have to exit out and return.  That would really kill sales.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.