2,300 visits at 3am this morning

Hey everybody

Was checking my stats today, saw I had a nearly 0.1% conversion rate for the day. Very odd, my normal rate is around 4.5%, lowest this year is around 2% for a single day.

Looking into the "stats" tab on my dashboard I can see there were 2,324 visits (not views) that occurred at 3am this morning. The rest of the day, (15 hours in total at this time) I have seen about 40 move visits the rest of the day.

Looking further, all of these came as a result of "direct & other traffic"

When I click on that tab, of course, there is no data to be displayed. All subsets of data say "no data available"

Anyone else experiencing similar issues at the moment?

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
16 Replies

Re: 2,300 visits at 3am this morning

Sus! Bot action?

0 Likes

@YinVivoWeddings

I am thinking. These are supposed to get "corrected" and stats adjusted if/when this behavior is caught.

That however has not been true over the last 12+ months the cpl times this has happened.

Thankfully ads were just turned off yesterday as I am getting 70-80cent CPC's for items that are incredibly niche, very easy to show up in search w/o ads.

0 Likes

The last 7 days I've had 3,892 visits (including the 2,300 from this morning at 3am)

During the timeframe this occured there were no favorites, ad clicks, etc

0 Likes
nineteen27
Community Maker

i was innocently sleeping.

at 3am.

so the views were not from me.

11 Likes
Amaradorn
Community Maker

Sounds like bots. In the past Etsy has filtered those out. Maybe they are not doing that now or maybe there is a delay. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

0 Likes
UptownYvette
Conversation Maker

Mine is the opposite.  Almost no views which is unusual. 

0 Likes

After the webpage problems last week, my traffic is nil.

0 Likes

I've had some weird spikes in visits before, but not as high as you. I think we all hope that somehow, one of our listings "went viral" - like maybe Taylor Swift was chilling by her pool with Travis and posted a picture of something on her Instagram, and then 2300 Swifties across the globe descended on your shop in the next 5 minutes.

But back to reality, maybe it was some automation somewhere that was looking for a picture match and found your listing(s). Who knows, we can't drill down enough to see who was visiting. 

2 Likes

the 2,300 visits from yesterday, still are there from yesterday's stats. When I go to view the traffic sources, there are only 3 total direct visits

Curious if anyone else is seeing spikes like this

0 Likes

I always had a daily issue with bots, then it seems they went away with all of my views back in October.  Then 5am Saturday I had a spike of almost 600 all direct traffic.

Etsy will never explain it, but it does hurt your conversion rate, which is a part of the secret sauce of our shops ranking…..

0 Likes

I've had some crazy spikes ... and then later that data is gone.

I've also had some spikes ... notable but not as dramatic as bot spikes ... that stick ... I've always imagined that happens when someone or maybe a group (like a beading club) is sharing likes and it causes a flurry of traffic.

These days I would worry about someone or something scraping data ... perhaps for sale on AliExpress or Temu.

0 Likes

The same happened to our shop a few times as well: we saw hundreds of views more than usual while the actual visits and other stats stayed in the trend. 

Unfortunately this didn't brought any kind of lucky events to the shop... ;(((

On the same page with @GlassyFields and @BeaconwoodDettman about what this can mean and can be generated from.

Cheers!

2 Likes

I’ve had a spike in visits for the past couple of weeks, then poof, they are gone. Very little views. 

0 Likes

We have been seeing an uptick in our visits and views since the beginning of March.  They were slightly higher initially, but since then have steadily climbed.  The last couple of days we had 200 - 300+ visits and views.  In the past we have had a fluke day once or twice a year, but this activity recently has never happened before.  Did Etsy change their algorithm or something?  My son has an Etsy shop and he's seeing an uptick also, although not near as high as ours the last couple of days.  I noticed that most of the visits have been from Etsy Marketing and Direct.  One of our products had 50 views at 1am and another product had around that number a few hours later.   We are really confused.  It hasn't resulted in any more sales regardless.  I wish someone could explain this.  I'd love to be excited about reaching more potential customers, but am worried this is only due to bots or something.  Just thought I'd reach out and share.  We're looking for answers also.

0 Likes

Check around to make sure that your shop has not been scraped and replicated elsewhere. I think there is a site that can check for duplicate photos and listings.

0 Likes

Been getting 2,000-3,000 visits every morning at 6am for the last 5 days now. Every day like clockwork. Conversion rate is now 0.1% over the last 7 days , while week before I had 4.7% conversion rate.

Days later, I can go back on those days, and Etsy has not corrected the 2,000+ visits that occur at 6am on the dot. When I look into the sources for the direct & other traffic, it's the usual "erank, salesamurai, etc" but over the last 7 days, these only add up to about 20 clicks total. Google analytics is not showing these spikes at all, just the clicks from people on erank, salesamurai, etc.

This all started the day I turned ads off. 

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.