Read Here! Donating, Volunteering, and Ways to Get Involved.

Hello All!

I wanted to let you know that while I choose to donate proceeds from my shop to World Vision, you are certainly not required to do so. Membership or participation on the team is not contingent upon any sort of commitment to do that either.

I am here first and foremost for fellowship and friendship. I do hope that you share a mutual interest in the goals of the team though. That's why you're here, right? :)

It is great to give financial support, and I encourage you to consider it if you think it's something you can do. Of course it isn't possible for everyone though. And that is why I have created this thread. There are many other great ways to get involved!

It's more important that your heart is in the right place, rather than your wallet. Anyone who gives from the heart - no matter how they do it - gives something valuable.

***On that note, if you have particular talents or interests, you can share those with others too. There are many different outlets you can consider:

- Are you are a runner? Bicycler? World Vision hosts events where you can compete to help communities in Africa get access to clean water, sanitation, and hygiene.

- Are you a great planner? You can plan an event with a large group to assemble different kinds of kits. There are kits made for vulnerable school children in the U.S., kits for caregivers of people with AIDS in various countries, hygiene kits for children and families in the U.S. affected by poverty and natural disasters, and also kits for vulnerable and orphaned children affected by extreme poverty and AIDS.

- Are you a great leader that works with kids? You can plan a 30 hour famine event for your students that will open everybody's eyes about hunger and how they can help save the lives of hungry children. There are also other ways to empower youth in your community to help make a change.

- Are you a music lover? World Vision hosts concerts and events where you can attend or volunteer your time. If you are a performer yourself, you can also partner with World Vision to use your talents in a beneficial way.

- Are you a convincing speaker? You can become a Child Ambassador (like me!) connecting sponsors with children who need their help, or urge lawmakers to take action, or perhaps engage your church in service events or fundraising.

- Are you a great organizer? You can organize a product drive to collect items that help children and families in need.

- Are you a woman interested in educating yourself and advocating for the unique challenges women and girls face around the world? The 'Women of Vision' group gets together to do just that in various locations.

- Are you a person that lives in any of these areas: Appalachia, Chicago, greater New York, North Texas, Pacific Northwest, Pittsburgh, or Denver? World Vision has warehouses in these locations where you can just volunteer your time doing helpful tasks like assembling backpacks of supplies, assembling kits, stocking shelves, or assisting with product distribution.

- Are you a person that likes to get together with your friends for movie nights? You can choose to screen 'Journey to Jamaa' in your house or a friend's house one night. It's informative way to raise awareness about child sponsorship, how it helps, and to have fun while trying out African recipes if you feel adventurous!

- Are you a person that likes to work directly with people? You can do just that on a week long mission trip to help others in Florida, Texas, or Appalachia. It can be done as an individual, as a family, or as a group.

- Are you a person with great office skills? You can volunteer at a World Vision office if there is one in your area.

- Are you a knitter or crocheter (also like me!)? You can knit and crochet items for the children helped by World Vision all over the world.

- Are you a person involved in social media and internet groups? You can create your own gift catalog to share with your friends and family to help support communities around the world in achieving a sustainable future.

- Are you a person with a passion for prayer? The 'Hope Prayer Team' prays for those most in need of it.

Thanks to everyone for reading. It is amazing what can happen in your own life when giving to others.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
6 Replies

Re: Read Here! Donating, Volunteering, and Ways to Get Involved.

We donate several times a year to both the Crazy Horse Foundation in SD and also the American Indian College Fund in CO.
Great organizations with that speak to us personally.
Thanks for the invite---love being part of this giviing Team!
0 Likes

Welcome Nola! You can introduce yourself more if you like in the Welcome to the Team thread :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks so much for the invite. I have a Girl's Club at church where we teach young girls to sew (usually a make and take project), have devotions and provide a lunch for them. They don't have to go to our church in order to be a member. We try to make it fun and something they can use throughout their life time. We also feel it is important to teach them giving. We have made blankets for Birthright, made pillowcase dresses for Africa, made blanket dolls for Operation Shoebox, cinnamon ornaments and Christmas cards for nursing home residents, etc. I am glad to support any worthy cause. I believe in using the talents God gave me for the good of mankind.
0 Likes

That is really wonderful Linda. There is a Birthright down the street a bit from me, which my mother and I have been donating items to for years. It is nice to know a fellow volunteer for that organization. You sound like a very caring and giving person, the kind of person this world can never have too many of. I appreciate you joining the team and welcome!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thank you, Katy. Sometimes it's hard to tell if I am the teacher or the pupil. The girls who are in and who were in have taught me so much. We have such a dedicated group of volunteers. Our core group are original to the startup of the club 12 years ago. We have some new volunteers this year that makes it so exciting for this worthwhile club.
0 Likes

It's funny that you would say that. I often wonder if it's kids that are being taught or is it them teaching us. I am earning my Master's to teach at the K-6 level, and over time I have definitely been the one who has been taught something now and then.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.