Sop Question: Is it better to diversify my products or focus on one genre?

So I already asked for a shop critique and got some awesome input and feedback! (Thanks everyone).

Another question that's been bugging me is should I focus on my current products ( ie: pet beds and toys) or would it be worth it to try and branch out? For example, try listing other products made from the same fabrics. For example: Pet feeding mats, dinner place mats, fabric napkins, throw pillows, pillow cases, baby products (blankets, burp cloths, etc).

I've seen articles suggesting focus on a niche market but it seems like my particular niche has a lot of competition. I was thinking it may be beneficial to diversify to reach more buyers.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
14 Replies

Re: Sop Question: Is it better to diversify my products or focus on one genre?

*SHOP question. (That'll teach me to proof-read)
0 Likes

Great question :)

I am all for diverse products!

Usually this topic comes up because people wonder if they should open a whole new shop for a new product line... and I say "no!" I even have this whole ranty blog post about it: http://spacefem.blogspot.com/2012/07/why-would-you-split-up-your-etsy-shop.html

I say have as many different products as you can... it's like a wide net to catch more shoppers using the etsy search for different stuff!

I mean yes, find a niche, but don't let it limit you!
0 Likes

Yes,branch out, IMHO.....

More shoppers will find you (and many with overlapping requirements, ie every dog owner also has their own bed to cover along with a bed for Fido, some, may even want to match....). The sections will help shoppers to navigate around your store - if they just want to look a pet related products, they can just use that section.

I say all this as a very inexperienced and new seller, but with positively years as a shopper! :o)
0 Likes

Thank you both! That was my line of thinking too but it just seemed like seller articles discouraged a variety shop.

It seems like the products will be similar enough, all centering around a line of fabrics, all used in the home.

Thanks for the input!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I love your shop!! I'd say to branch out, but still in a doggy way. Dog bedrooms are something a lot of people with an unused room love. You could make wall art or other such decorations. That way, it would still be in your niche, but expanded! Bowl mats, beds, and wall art that all match would be adorable!
0 Likes

THAT is a good idea. I *wish* our dogs could have a bedroom. Now that you bring it up, if I had a spare room, that's exactly what I would end up doing. Good niche idea!
0 Likes

Dog bedroom or dog closet! When my pooch was little I decided to confine him at night w a baby gate across the closet door. Didnt want to put him in a cage! He just didnt understand it wasnt time to play!! Now he sleeps in his bed at the bottom corner of my bed and he never moves! Ahh sleep is good.
0 Likes

That's a good idea too. I think our crate is roomier than the closet unfortunately haha
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

This is a great question that I've actually been wondering about myself. I agree with the wider net theory, I'm still trying to find my spot....I love to create so many different things!! Definitely go with branching out in a pooch friendly way, pet lovers everywhere will go bonkers!!
0 Likes

Thanks for the input, Sarah!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I'm in the multiple-shops category, myself. I have a jewelry shop and a findings shop, and a fledgling graphics shop. What was a small part of my jewelry (the custom pieces) has grown so much it started making my other stuff look out of place, and it bugged me. I pulled all those listings and am in the slow process of setting up a second jewelry shop for my less-serious side.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

considering the last comment above, if one of your product lines is in the shade of another, consider a shop aside. However, I myself as starting seller, love the idea that you attract more buyers when your shop is diverse, with multiple buyer potential. I currently have 3 lines and will keep it that way for now. Multiple shops seem to me a lot of hassle, you have to copy all rules and policies, when postal rates (in Holland every year twice) are adjusted, you need to adjust multiple times. I personally don't like to adjust more than one time, it takes enough time already to be busy doing administrative things instead of working on products!
Hope you can move forward and decide what to do. And that you understand my crappy Dutchy English ^^
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I love these items! You seem to offer a lot of choice in terms of pattern and size and the photos are really clear as are your descriptions. It looks like you are doing well as you are so I wouldn't complicate things too much but you need a few more reviews. Perhaps you can chase up a couple of buyers and ask them to to write some nice feedback?

0 Likes

Brandy, That's a good point. At this stage, I don't think certain lines are getting overshadowed. Mostly because I don't really have multiple lines ;-) I was considering expanding the baby section and that may warrant a new shop. Not sure new mothers want to buy baby blankets and burp cloths from a shop specializing in dog beds ;-) If it ever comes to that, you're advice makes a lot of sense!

Lian, Your Dutchy English was perfectly understandable! I agree, it would be a lot of hassle. I'm still trying to figure out the postal rates here...not getting a lot of help from USPS and sometimes I low-ball shipping, other times it's perfect. I would hate to try and adjust all of that stuff for every listing in multiple shops *headache*

Charlotte, I've been trying with the reviews. However, I just learned yesterday that it is considered spam if you contact a buyer after they receive their item. I was actually completely shocked by this. Basically the only way you can ask for a review is in your receipt message or the message you send when the item ships. It's frustrating because etsy won't let the person review an item right away by the sounds of it. In some ways, this is protection for the seller. Ie they can't write a horrible review if they haven't even received the product. But at the same time, they may want to write a review but the review window hasn't opened yet and then they forget to go back and write one down the road. I've read a lot of forum discussions on it and basically the majority opinion is: If you get a review, great! but the majority of the time you don't get one and that's just how it is. Very frustrating because my customers always rave about the process and the beds when they arrive but don't take the time to review :-/

Again, thank you all for the feedback :-) Favorited your shops!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.