Former_Member
Not applicable

Shop Critique and Advice

Recently I have done a total overhaul of my shop. I took better pictures, worked on my own profile, edited descriptions, and worked on my SEO with titles and tags. I have been trying to do more promoting by posting on Pinterest and creating a Shopify for buyable pins. Still after multiple weeks I have had no sales and fewer views than expected. I have also been renewing items daily as suggested.

I am mostly looking for advice on things that I could improve on. I am in the process of adding more pictures that show the bracelets being worn, adding more bracelets that I've been making, and getting more photos to add to the Photography section. Is there anything else noticeable that needs to be worked on? Thanks in advance!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
8 Replies

Re: Shop Critique and Advice

Hi Hannah,
Renewing daily used to have a significant impact back when recency had more weight in search results, but these days it's not really very effective. You can sometimes get a tiny boost from it, but you'll have to decide for yourself whether that's worth the extra money. You'd probably be much better off simply adding a new listing every day or two, though.

Your photos look fantastic, and I'm sure getting some modelled shots will only help.

Your SEO still needs some work. It's far from terrible, but there's definitely room for improvement. First, remove all single-word tags. Seriously, just get rid of them. They're useless. If you have "handmade bracelet", "handmade", and "bracelet", then two of these tags are redundant. A phrase tag is relevant for a search for any single word within that tag. So that's step one. Step two is getting rid of tags that match the category you've posted the item in. If you posted in "beaded bracelets", you already get a freebie "beaded bracelets" tag, so you don't need to add a tag for "beaded bracelet". Incidentally, plural and singular forms of words are treated as identical by the search engine, so bracelet = bracelets.

Now that you've freed up a few tag slots, you can get creative. You've covered the more general searches, but what about the specific, refined searches? Sure, "beaded wrap bracelet" might get a HUGE number of searches, but it also has a HUGE number of results, so a savvy (or picky) shopper will refine it further with modifiers. Maybe a small percent will search for "beaded leather wrap bracelet", and a different small percent searches for "blue beaded wrap bracelet", and another small percent goes with "minimalist beaded wrap bracelet", and another small percent tries out "blue ombré bead and leather wrap bracelet" (whew!). All of these small percentages add up to a lot of eyeballs, so you want to try to capture as many of those as possible. Most of those refined searches won't fit in the available tag space, so you break up the phrases in clever ways to cover as many combinations as possible.

Once you've made some tag changes in some of your listings, you can wait a few weeks and see what your stats page tells you. You can get a sense of which kinds of tags are performing best for you, and then start adding those kinds of tags to other listings while removing the less effective tags.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thank you so much! That is really helpful and I will definitely change my tags up!
0 Likes

First, I love your bracelets. I also enjoy making wrap bracelets but haven't put them on my site because mine is focused more on silver jewelry. You need to have more items...about 50 jumped my views and where I actually started getting sales. Your titles should try to use all 140 characters. Your tags have a good start but never use a single word because that single word is also counts when you have it in a keyword phrase. I am new and still learning but this is what I've learned so far: Everyone says to use all 140 characters of the title. Use keyword phrases not just single words. Those are up to you to figure out the best phrases for your product. Best thing to do is make a list describing your product and how people would type in search box to look for it. Then type those keyword phrases in etsy search box and see results. Google will only take the first 70 so you should put the stronger phrases first. Then they say to take that title with the keyword phrases and paste into tags and make them keyword phrases tags. They say to never use single words-try to use up the 20 character limit for each tag and use all tags. From what I understand if you put something like "beaded bracelet" you don't need "bracelet" too. You are covered for "beaded", "bracelet" and "beaded bracelet". Hope this helps!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks! I am working on adding more items so hopefully that makes a difference, and now have a better idea for how to use tags. Thanks again.
0 Likes

You really don't need to use all the characters in your titles - Google finds that spammy, and Etsy doesn't care. It's more about having titles that are a) easy for people to read, b) contain a description of the item, and c) include some of your tag phrases. Extensive testing has shown that longer titles are not necessarily better.
0 Likes

Hi Hannah,

I love your shop
You have really great pictures.

I would suggest more photos try using all 5, with real model.

You should have more listings.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I thank you for your critique of my shop awhile ago. I've done so much and made changes and I'd like a critique again. This is the 3rd time I"m asking so maybe my request will be seen. Maybe my shop is ok?

I am worried about the photos. I want to frame each print and show it that way in a vignette on a table but I need to know if that would make a difference.

Can someone please critique my shop? Thank you so much. I know every one is very busy but a quick look
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

yes....i completely agree with first reply message of Peggy Muddles..

great suggestion..
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.