Re: Post Everything Here

Jump to solution

As an NPA registered voter I have from time to time voted for Republicans. But as the GOP becomes more "radical" or "trumped" one has to wonder if the Party realizes they are losing people like me who are so against the direction they're taking, that it will take ages for me to ever vote for any Republican again. 
Yes, Rep. Gonzalez describing his party as "toxic" & then having security concerns for his family. 
Things are getting out of hand but at least the GOP has shown its true colors - "Party over Country".

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes

Jump to solution

Last month Marjorie Taylor  Greene was invited to a GOP fundraiser in my county.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Yes, Idaho is in a dire situation. Today a Spokane hospital released a statement that they are having to turn away many people coming from Idaho since they are having trouble keeping up with their State's citizens health issues.

And this from CBS News:

"Seven states — Alabama, Florida, Texas, Mississippi, Tennessee, Georgia, and Louisiana — made up 70% of orders for monoclonal antibodies in recent weeks, according to the spokesperson for the Department of Health and Human Services, which manages supplies of the treatments purchased by the federal government. Overall, orders for the drugs since mid-July have climbed 20-fold.

Of those states, only Florida has fully vaccinated more than half of its total population, according to the CDC."...

And to say that Florida is the best out of these seven isn't saying too much - only about 55% of Florida's population is fully vaccinated.

But DeSantis is all upset the the Biden Admin. is now dividing up the monoclonal treatments differently. Yet to me, I think Idaho may be in desperate need of more than "their share". And really, some of the Governors need to get their act together, encourage mask wearing & vaccinations. Quit being so foolish & act like a human being who also happens to be a Governor.

Florida is finally showing some improvement. The past 7 days saw an average of 10,844 cases per day and the positivity % has dropped to a less scary 12.3%. Yeah, getting excited about these numbers is odd, but then, it is Florida.

A local news station is going to be airing a story on outdoor sporting events, from pro to college, and whether it could lead to spikes. Yeah, I know, I want normal again, but sometimes you have to wade in & not dive in head first.

Thankfully the "January 6th" rally held yesterday was mostly a gathering and didn't lead to any violence. It was reported that about 450 to 500 people in attendance. 

The Texas border is being flooded with Haitian immigrants who have apparently been living in South & Central America for the past ten years or so (some less) due to the earthquake in 2010. 

The WSJ is reporting that Trump is looking to groom someone to run against McConnell. Oh and apparently today Trump released a statement that the USA is turning into a "cesspool of humanity" due to the current number of Haitians at the border.

A friend sent a link to one of the Daily Show's filming by Jordan Klepper. That got us into viewing more clips. There are times when you hope & pray that some of the folks filmed are acting & not literally being themselves.

Everyone stay safe & healthy. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

More news out of Florida:

"Republican Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis named a UCLA doctor and health policy researcher who shares his approach to managing the coronavirus pandemic to serve as the state's surgeon general Tuesday.

Like DeSantis, Dr. Jospeh Ladapo said he doesn't believe in school closures, lockdowns or vaccine mandates.

“Florida will completely reject fear as a way of making policies in public health. So we're done with fear,” Ladapo said. "That's been something that's been, unfortunately, a centerpiece of health policy in the United States ever since the beginning of the pandemic and it's over here. Expiration date. It's done."

He said approaching health policy with fear leads to bad decisions.

“We're going to be very explicit about the differences between the science and our opinions,” he said. “What's been happening over the past year is that people have been taking the science and they've been mispresenting it ... it's been unclear when the discussion about science ends and discussion about how you feel about the science and what you want people to do with the science begins."

DeSantis agreed there's been misinformation spread about COVID-19 to control personal behavior.

“No more noble lies. You tell the truth on what the data's saying,” DeSantis said.

He used monoclonal antibody treatment as an example. While he's been advocating it for months, he said others haven't been pushing it as vocally. Doctors agree with DeSantis that the treatment, when delivered soon after infection, is effective. DeSantis said prevention and treatment need to work hand in hand.

“I do think that one of the reasons why this was not something that was put out there very publicly by the experts and by the powers that be in D.C. is because they feared that if you tell people there's an effective treatment ... some people would say, ‘Well, you know, maybe I won’t get vaccinated, I'll just get the treatment.'”...

Lapado said vaccines aren't the only way to combat COVID-19 and getting one is a personal choice.

“Vaccines are up to the person. There's nothing special about them compared to any other preventive measure,” he said. “The state should be promoting good health, and vaccination isn't the only path to that. It's been treated almost like a religion. It's just senseless. There's lots of good pathways to health.”

He said in addition to vaccines, people should be encouraged to lose weight, exercise more and eat healthier.

And Lapado spoke out against lockdowns.

“After lockdowns, overall mortality increased. Lockdowns are bad. Lots of reasons why they're bad, that's just one really good one,” he said."

Myself, I didn't know that having a "healthy respect" for what the Virus can and has been doing is "living in fear"; that encouraging responsible social gathering; recommending masks when entering a building (is it really that difficult to don a mask before entering a grocery store?); or really getting out there & promoting vaccinations was a doomed endeavor. To realize that in the USA Deaths have reached over 675,000 people. Those people left grieving family, friends, so many lives have been touched. Seriously, I need to think about the State I'm living in.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Florida's Numbers from last week: 3,539,218 Cases;   53,116 Deaths;  8.6% Positivity. Today it is reported that the State's Hospitalizations have finally fallen below 7K for covid.
Florida's new surgeon general decided that children exposed to covid Do Not have to quarantine - they can continue coming to school - as long as they are not showing symptoms. 
The new surgeon general also issued a ruling saying it was the parent's sole discretion as to whether their children should wear a mask. So all prior law suits by parents challenging DeSantis' order on mask were thrown out. 

Then yesterday, DeSantis & Company filed a lawsuit against the Biden Administration regarding the relocation of migrants into the State. In his press conference, DeSantis had the nerve to mention that some of the migrants might have covid. He also signed "Executive Order 21-223 to prohibit all Florida agencies under the purview of the Governor from facilitating illegal immigration into Florida, unless otherwise required by federal or state law, and require the collection of information from state officials on the scope and costs of illegal immigration in Florida."
Wait, when local LE Agencies were saying they couldn't, by law, hold an undocumented individual who was say arrested for DUI & made bail because they were possibly "illegals", that was considered to be a "Sanctuary City" policy? But now it's apparently okay to not help the Federal Government? Collect the info. on the cost of illegal immigration in Florida? But if the Federal Gov. has allowed the people entry due to an asylum claim, how are the people "illegal"? 

Canadians reelected Justin Trudeau though it sounds as if the entire body has no real majority.
Germany has apparently elected a "moderate liberal" to replace Angela Merkel as Chancellor but that the results of other elections are still not confirmed. Though maybe the ultra-right lost a seat or two?
Australia is keeping up the battle against Covid. Apparently NSW (& others?) will have new regulations next month on activities & of the unvaccinated?

Last night one of Faux News' night time "entertainers" congratulated Utah Sen. Mike Lee for persisting in introducing a new Senate Bill every day (?) against mandatory vaccinations. But ask him, or any GOP member, why they are blocking a vote on raising the US Debt Limit &/or getting the budget together to avoid a government shutdown? Why of course not. Does the GOP really think that if the economy tanks (& that might be putting it mildly) that retirees suddenly do not receive their social security payments, etc. etc., the blame will automatically be passed on to President Biden? 

And to think it's only Wednesday.  Everyone stay safe & healthy.

1 Like

Jump to solution

Crazy covid numbers in Florida, I can't believe some still aren't waking up that it is a real thing. We have two provinces with crazy cases, both run by Conservatives, and similar decision making. I've heard Alberta called 'Florida north' and they are making poor choices too. Our hospital was supposed to take patients from there, three provinces away! I feel for citizens who believe there is a pandemic and live in hot zones, it must be very frustrating. I am frustrated enough with low or no cases here but some still have the attitude that their 'freedumbs' are being stomped on and won't get vaccinated. I stay home most of the time either way.

Yes Trudeau won another minority, that is two in a row after a majority the first time. He was lucky to get that because it was essentially 5 candidates, the media, protestors screaming, throwing rocks etc all against him. I'm glad it was only 36 days long because I can't stand the lying and mudslinging. I normally vote NDP but their leader kinda turned and I was really disappointed in his direction so I basically voted against the Conservative candidate. In my riding it is between Liberal and Conservative and it was so close it took a couple days to count and only a few hundred vote difference. Anything to not give Conservatives power is my voting strategy.

I haven't been watching much tv and very little US news so have no idea what is going on. The bits I do see on social media are that some still think trump is running things and will be back any day. Wonder how long some will hang on to that, and why lol.

It is getting cold here already so another winter cozied up indoors except for our walks after dinner. We are still doing that. I hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy. 

2 Likes
OwlTalk
Crafty Poster

Jump to solution

The numbers are getting a little better here in Los Angeles regarding COVID 19, but there's now a mask mandate for super sized outdoor events. Which is fine with me because I really am not interested in hanging out with a bunch of Angelenos who may or may not be spreading the virus. I did tell my boyfriend that when Dune comes to theaters, I'd like to go a matinee when there's usually less people, although I may end up with a lot of budget minded movie goers instead, lol!

1 Like

Jump to solution

The USA has officially had over 700,00 Covid Deaths. I just did a google search. As of Feb. 2020 Wyoming only had 585,501 residents; Vermont had 624,594; Alaska 741,894; North Dakota 755,393; South Dakota 865.454. 

The Death Total in the USA could have wiped out one of two States' entire population & then some. The way some people in this Country seem to treat the pandemic, we'll quite possibly reach the point where there would be 4 plus States to choose from. 

News about Florida (population about 21 Million) includes the "up side" that with 57% fully vaccinated, almost 3.6 Million Confirmed Cases, add in the Asymptomatic Cases, we should all be able to breathe easier soon - we'll have reached "herd immunity". Why do I not feel all "warm & fuzzy" about this tidbit?

0 Likes

Jump to solution

This is the link if interested, though not that informative: https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-mom-virginia-mass-exodus-public-schools

It wasn't hard for me to find the story since the Mom in question is a Floridian. I not surprised she's turned into a Faux Hero:
"I really think at this point the only thing to do is have a mass exodus from the public school system – that's it," King said. In response, she received prolonged applause, and many in the audience rose to their feet at the Leesburg, Virginia, event. King previously drew national attention in June for her speech opposing critical race theory (CRT). She works with the group Moms for Liberty, which is one of many battling CRT and other ideas across the nation."...

"Her comments came amid an uproar over the Justice Department's announcement that the FBI would investigate potential violence at school board meetings. Attorney General Merrick Garland's memo on the issue raised concerns as it appeared to be in response to a National School Boards Association (NSBA) letter suggesting that officials were encountering a form of "domestic terrorism."

"While spirited debate about policy matters is protected under our Constitution, that protection does not extend to threats of violence or efforts to intimidate individuals based on their views," Garland's memo states. "

There's the CRT discussion but here in Florida (don't know how it is in other places) the School Board Meetings on Covid Mitigation including masks has generated some rather, well let's just say "rowdy" meetings. It wouldn't surprise me if there have been threats - thru calls, emails, on social media - made towards School Board Members, etc. To say that all Law Enforcement Agencies are taking the matter seriously may be quite inaccurate.

That said, the Mom was on Martha MacCallum afternoon show yesterday. Both appeared to advocate for parents taking their kids out of Public Schools. But it was something that Martha said while exiting the interview that caught my attention. She told the Mom that she hoped she'd get the taxes she paid to keep public schools going back. Yep, she'll need that money to pay for private schooling.

Well, "Wow", I am so happy to hear Faux News - or at least one of their "stars" -  get the ball rolling on that idea. For all the years I've paid taxes into Florida's various City/County/State Public Education Coffers, yet never had children use any part of those funds I've spent. You mean now there may be a chance that as a Non-Parent I'll get to voice my displeasure with what Public Schools are teaching & get my money back? Or at least not have to pay any future school assessments? I'll settle for just not having to pay in the future, though a refund - maybe even with interest? - would be really, really, wonderful.

Everyone stay safe and healthy.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I am happy that PMJT won the election. NDP Singh & Flip Flop O’Toole will never get my vote. To make NDP viable again, they need to dump Singh. He knows nothing about politics & thinks weird TikTok videos will appeal to older voters.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Just back from Vacation (oh, such a nice, chilly climate, a welcome change!) and trying to catch up on too much. 
This is absolutely hilarious - https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/580867-mark-ruffalo-other-stars-featured-in-electi...

1 Like
OwlTalk
Crafty Poster

Jump to solution

Very funny. I just saw him in "Dark Waters" and and as usual, he was pretty good in it. After I'd seen it, I was feeling for those people and thinking that I'm glad I don't live in West Virginia--- not that California is much better for environmental issues all the time, either. *Sigh*

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Since returning I've had tons of little projects to keep me busy. Florida is now having decent weather - you can sit outside & not break out in a sweat while simply sitting in the shade of a tree! 
Florida news is to the point of scary. Governor DeSantis wants to spend over $3 Million dollars to have a Volunteer State Guard that would be solely under his control & not combined with the Federal Government like the National Guard. Florida did away with this "group" ages ago.
Next, he wants to use some of the Federal Covid $$ to pay for unemployment for any individuals who are fired due to their resistance to getting vaccinated. 
While not yet in full session until next year, Florida's Senate has apparently agreed upon a Bill that would allow Businesses to sue their local Government if anything they mandate/pass/institute causes them to lose at least 15% in revenue. Yes, Florida will become so "business friendly" that businesses will be able to sue a Government Entity. I guess DeSantis will soon allow the restaurants we used to frequent about once a week or so to sue us. Our County/City Government had issued NO covid rules or regulations but since we haven't contributed to their revenue in over a year & a half, well, how can we be so cruel?!?!

Hope everyone is staying safe & healthy. Enjoy the Holiday Season. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Looking back at my post from the end of September, I'd posted these #'s on Florida Covid:  3,539,218 Cases, 53,116 Deaths.
Sunday morning report: 3,686,860 cases,   61,701 Deaths. In two months time over 8,000 additional deaths reported in Florida.
DeSantis had a press conference yesterday, touting other things, but he had to get in his snide comments about "if people decide to close themselves off & hunker down" kind of stuff to mentioning "Faucism & him wanting to shut down everything". 
I am so tired of DeSantis' lies & insinuations.

Michigan now having a record surge in cases & hospitalizations - the highest since the pandemic started. Other States seeing rises too. Then NYC going with mandatory vaccinations. 

The new omicron variant has been detected in 19 States now. Reports at the moment say it may not cause as severe disease but is just much more transmissible. Vaccination & vaccination + booster seems to show an ability to fit the variant. Hopefully future scientific reports will be as positive.

Speaking of boosters - we received ours - Moderna. First Shots weren't bad, second ones had more side effects, but the booster knocked me back for a day. Not complaining at all, this is just a heads-up so you don't schedule something for the day after your booster. I felt like a damp dish rag all day, with no appetite or energy to do anything. Back to normal the next day. Maybe think of the "day after" as a good excuse to do nothing but watch old classic movies or start clearing off the dvr.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Despite this year still being full of "blursdays" it certainly has sped by.
Merry Christmas to all.
Have a safe, healthy & happy New Year.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Everyone, please do stay safe & healthy in 2022.   Happy New Year!

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Hi @JMOldeVintage   Looks like I'm not the only one that dropped off posting here.

Happy New Year to all, and stay healthy!

Just wanted to share that a loved one had a cancer biopsy today, and the Doctor said to call him if anything comes up - to not go to the ER unless absolutely necessary - due to Covid and low staffing causing long waits.  So damned scary.  

1 Like

Jump to solution

@PillowDetails  - From a Politics standpoint, it seems that the Federal Government has become an Us versus Them mentality. No one can work together to try & do anything. I won't say I've given up up at some point you decide to stay aware & at the same time ignore it. 

Yes, the current Covid surge is scary. The entire State of Florida is "high transmission". The past 2 weeks has Florida at a 948% increase in positive cases. The positivity last week was at 26.5% and the State set a record for the entire pandemic with 75,692 cases reported on the 31st for the date of Dec. 30th results. In the meantime our Governor & his new Surgeon General are busy attacking mask wearing & advising people that may have the virus, but are at low-risk themselves for getting seriously ill, to not worry about getting tested. Their tests are of "low value" & they're apparently the ones causing the long lines at testing sites. Of course, who they may come in contact with & that person's risk factors is of no concern to the Governor??? And of course he's still beating the drum about monoclonal treatments & how the State isn't getting enough of them. Yes, they have a value, but shouldn't trying to avoid getting sick be the number one thing to do. 

Then my sad news. The Monday after Christmas we had to bring our kitty - my Avatar - to the Vet to enable a gentle goodbye. She was almost 16, a diabetic with arthritis, who was diagnosed with kidney failure & a heart murmur at the beginning of last year. Over the holiday it's as if someone began to dim the lights. We didn't want her to be in pain or feel like she had to "keep up the good fight". Our minds have been elsewhere since Christmas & now we have to dote on her brother. He has known her for his entire 11 1/2 years & was very attached.

I do hope you family member has a good outcome on their test. Sending good 'vibes' to you and your family.

1 Like
kaslkaos
Crafty Poster

Jump to solution

I went away, but I might be back, I could use a bit of chatter, and am still obsessed about politics/news cycle.  It's impossible to grow a community now, though, isn't it?  I miss the people who could actually manage to discuss between differing points of view.

Just to drop something here: Munk Debates, CBC recently had a 4 member panel on Main Stream Media.  It was  interesting,  with a panel of four, and a mix of debating styles, the question was vague though, because my thought, vs what? "Be it resolved, don't trust mainstream media."  https://munkdebates.com/debates/mainstream-media 

Me, I imbibe heaps of mainstream media, right now it's Globe and Mail, Toronto Star & the Independant (British), plus some substacks I've gotten to know through twitter.  

Anyway, another thought, at least for canucks, Reddit r/canada and r/canadianpolitics

Well, Hi! and I miss you all.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.