I have, ever since its inception, been looking at Pattern with great suspicion. For more reasons than can post here, but I think we all understand that sellers come from various backgrounds, interests, experiences, personality traits, socio-economic status, etc. So, what works for one, may not work for others. With the new tax laws etc., I just do not know whether it makes any sense to pump in so much energy and time into improving my own website; although I kind of like what I have already created. But it seems like a time-saver to have Etsy collect the taxes as needed, and instead of spending lots of time to customize my website, I thought I would at least explore how this Pattern thing works. 

So, I decided to give it a try but nerveous. I never had any addictions, but I will surround myself with Klondike bars to get through the - I am certain to be experienced - anxiety while setting it up. If the first 30 days are free to try, then there is not much to lose...Will probably do it next week. 

If you know of ANY reason why it is NOT a good idea to have a Pattern site, especially, in comparison with having your own website, so speaketh now! 

On the other hand, if you love Pattern (including its software and features) what was the most difficult part to set up - and what is the biggest benefit of having it (besides the ease of tax collection, which I mentioned above)? 

Thanks and have a nice weekend

BB

Re: O.K. Decided to take the plunge and check out Pattern

No it is simple.  What I suggest is that you get your own domain (which you purchase).  You can do this through Etsy.  This way you can set up your own email for your domain.  You can go to your Pattern dashboard and click on Marketing.  There you can get your own domain and set up a custom email address.  Then you can go back to Marketing again and go to the Mail Chimp box to set up a mail chimp account.

Mail Chimp is pretty amazing and its free.  They have templates you use to create an email that you can send to those who sign up for your email.  I would suggest going to youtube.com and search for "how to use mail chimp" and click on one of the tutorials that have 2019 in the title.  There is a learning curve with everything, but don't be overwhelmed because you can do it.  

People can then sign up for your email through your website and you will find those in your mail chimp account.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like

Thanks, Funky and Sharon. I already do have three domains, so I do not need to purchase it via Etsy. 

However, I do appreciate the tips both of you gave me (and the link to setting up Mailchimp). Happy July 4th

BB

0 Likes
romaarellano
Conversation Maker

@funkydreamsmosaics I have a mailchimp account (new) and have tried to connect per the link. Doesn't seem to work for me. Just keeps taking me back to the Marketing page where I'm guided to log in. Once I log in to MailChimp, I get the same page to log in. Hmmmm...Did you have issues when you first tried to connect?

1 Like

I don't recall  having issues in that part.  I had issues where people would get an error when they tried to sign up, but they were actually signed up.

I went looking through the forums and found this:

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Bugs-and-Technical-Issues/MailChimp-amp-Pattern/m-p/126443115

So you're not the only one having the problem.  Unfortunately, I haven't found a solution.  You may want to contact Etsy directly.  

1 Like
romaarellano
Conversation Maker

Thanks for the link @funkydreamsmosaics ... Yep, looks like a known problem. I'm having another one but will start a new thread for it.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.