romaarellano
Conversation Maker

Linking Pattern listings to Facebook Page

I've really been having trouble posting Pattern listings to my Facebook page. The photo doesn't show up, and it appears that the URL is to my overall domain and the listing itself. Same issue regardless of whether I use the Share on Facebook Button or the cut-and-paste method. I've tried a few different browsers, and I've opened a ticket with Etsy Support but just wanted to see if any of you have had this issue or if it's just me. Thanks.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
14 Replies

Re: Linking Pattern listings to Facebook Page

I can't for the life of me understand this new Facebook Business Manager program. They will approve me to add items only to revoke them an hour later with no explanation. I think the issue is more with Facebook than Etsy.

0 Likes
romaarellano
Conversation Maker

That may be the case. It is a clunky interface and has been since they implemented it. But the share button works fine with Pinterest and it has worked fine with FB for months but not now. That tells me it is Etsy/Pattern. Anyone else out there using it regularly?

0 Likes

I'm having the same problem when I go to Facebook Debugger I get a number of warnings telling me that my ssl certificate isn't set up or is self signed, but its been months since I set up the site and it's still a problem. One would think etsy/pattern would jump on here and tell us how to resolve it even if the issue is with someone else's technology. I'm paying monthly, but if people are getting an unsecure message paying etsy appears to be a waste of my time. Nobody is going to buy something from a site that throwsninsecure messages.

1 Like

0 Likes
romaarellano
Conversation Maker

Yes, I need to check on my ticket. I'll do that tomorrow. I did open one with Etsy Support, so I will follow up on that. Been doing a clunky workaround which is to publish from within FB and just add my own photos plus the link. There is always a workaround; just means a bit more work. But darned if I'll pay for a so-called "standalone" and not get all the benefits of a standalone, which means promoting your own website instead of your Etsy shop. You might want to also try the standalone. I keep working on my Squarespace website. Just so hard to do that as a one-person show.

2 Likes
romaarellano
Conversation Maker

BTW, @TheSocialCatholic I don't think this is a problem on our side. I think Etsy has not dedicated much support to Pattern since the launch, and so this is an instance of a glitch on their side that they're just not prioritizing.

1 Like

I've been having this same issue, too.  While I'm glad it's not just me, I am worried it won't be fixed.  😞 

0 Likes

I just put one of my links into this:

https://clickwp.com/p/fix-facebook-broken-link-preview/ 

And as @TheSocialCatholic found, it thinks my SSL certificate is bad.  I'm off to report this to Etsy.  Please do the same.

0 Likes

I contacted Etsy about this.  They basically said I needed to contact Facebook.  But then I tried posting a link in FB and it seems to be working.  If it isn't working for you, I would suggest you still contact Etsy, just because.  And then maybe contact FB.  

0 Likes

Is everyone else still seeing this?  I can get my links to work about 20% of the time.  And I can't figure out why certain ones work and others don't, though I'm starting to lean toward older links working? So maybe it's an indexing type issue?  But I thought I'd see if everyone else is still seeing it, too. 

1 Like

I'm with you. My Pattern site is new and my first blog worked fine with a piccy and the next one didn't. No idea why. I'll keep piggling and if I come up with something, I'll let you know.

1 Like

It seems you can only link your Etsy url (shopname.etsy.com) not your business url (shopname.com)

Etsy does not have it set up to show that your private url is not a re-direct, which is what Facebook is reading it as. 

It is definitely an indexing issue on Etsy's end, and Facebook's new security protocol to crack down on third-party fraud accounts. Facebook doesn't recognize the re-directed Etsy link as a standard url on their end. Pattern is appearing as a re-direct site to Facebook. That's the explanation I got from Facebook when they took down my website from their business marketplace page.

1 Like
romaarellano
Conversation Maker

Mine are still not working, and so my workaround is to use photos on my iphone, cut and paste the first paragraph of each listing, then put a link to the listing at the end. It's more work, but it's at least a way to post my listings. I'm surprised you are getting it to work 20% of the time! On Monday I'll use my chat feature to see if I can get some support. Maybe between several of us, they'll fix the issue.

0 Likes

@romaarellano  I do pretty much the same thing:  post a photo and then manually include the link in the post.  It's not as efficient, but it works.  

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.