Does anyone sell printables on their pattern site

Jump to solution

Does anyone have any experience selling printables on a pattern site? I sell instant downloadable editable pdf files in my Etsy shop. Most my sales are from within the United States. but I do occasionally get an international order. I like that Etsy collects VAT for those orders. I know if I manually email the file to a customer I can probably avoid having to collect VAT for the order. But also means I would have to set up all my listings for emailing the files to customers. What a pain!

And if I create and host my own web site I have to worry about collecting VAT and submitting it to the proper channels. 

So that why I am even considering signing up for a pattern site. But at the same time I don't know what Etsy's long term plans for Pattern are.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
BeadCrumbs
Inspiration Seeker

Re: Does anyone sell printables on their pattern site

Jump to solution

Hi, Yes, since Jan 2017, I've been selling printable digital downloads on Etsy's Pattern site and since 2010 on Etsy's main site. I sell bead patterns (cannot be edited) but I'm in the process of phasing out my digital items to sell only finished pieces. The flat monthly fee and VAT collections work for me. A frequent problem I run into is that unregistered "guest" buyers often need assistance with downloading their patterns. 

View solution in original post

2 Likes

Jump to solution

@WrappersPlus 

The back end of Pattern is Etsy.  And by that I mean, yes, you get the cha-ching sound on your phone with Pattern orders.  Yes, you can use Convos to contact your buyers.  

Pattern sales act just like Etsy sales, except they say they are from Pattern.  

I don't sell digital items, but my *guess* would be that Guests just aren't used to the process?  I'm sure sometimes registered Etsy users need help, too, but often, they know what they are doing and how it works on Etsy.  

View solution in original post

1 Like
7 Replies
BeadCrumbs
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Hi, Yes, since Jan 2017, I've been selling printable digital downloads on Etsy's Pattern site and since 2010 on Etsy's main site. I sell bead patterns (cannot be edited) but I'm in the process of phasing out my digital items to sell only finished pieces. The flat monthly fee and VAT collections work for me. A frequent problem I run into is that unregistered "guest" buyers often need assistance with downloading their patterns. 

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my post. May I ask you a couple questions?

When something sells on your pattern site, do you hear a cha-ching sound on your phone like when you make a sale on your regular Etsy shop site?

You state that a frequent problem you run into is that unregistered "guest" buyers often need assistance with downloading their patterns. Why do you think this is? Do they receive an email with a link to their download from Etsy? I guess what I am asking, is it because it's not a simple process or is it more the customer not being tech savvy. And when this happens does the customer contact you? Can you see in the completed orders page wither or not a file has been downloaded?

My editable pdf files that I currently sell in my shop are meant to be diy files. But on occasion a customer will include the information they want inserted in the design with their order. Which I don't mine doing sense it's a very simple process. (Just highlight the sample text and paste in their information) The only way I know a customer has included their information with their order, is through the Etsy phone app or if I manually check my completed orders page in the store manager. Which I usually do a couple times a day. I send them a personalized standard non editable pdf file through a conversation. So far I haven't had any issues doing it this way. But through pattern it might not be that simple. a process.

I appreciate any insight you can give me. Thank you in advance.

Syl

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@WrappersPlus 

The back end of Pattern is Etsy.  And by that I mean, yes, you get the cha-ching sound on your phone with Pattern orders.  Yes, you can use Convos to contact your buyers.  

Pattern sales act just like Etsy sales, except they say they are from Pattern.  

I don't sell digital items, but my *guess* would be that Guests just aren't used to the process?  I'm sure sometimes registered Etsy users need help, too, but often, they know what they are doing and how it works on Etsy.  

1 Like

Jump to solution

BTW I just placed an order through your Pattern web site. I used my gmail account rather than my regular Etsy accounts. On your end, am I shown as an unregistered "guest" buyer?  The whole process of downloading my file from the email I received was simple and didn't require much tech savvy on my part.

I didn't mind spending a couple bucks to see the check out process in action. Money well spent. And who knows I might just make that cute doggie head someday.

Syl

1 Like

Jump to solution

@funkydreamsmosaics

Thank you very much for your reply. You always go out of your way to help folks on this board.  It really is appreciated!

You totally rock!

Syl

1 Like
BeadCrumbs
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Hi

@WrappersPlus 

I just realized that I no longer hear the cha-ching. Hmmm, I did like that sound 🙂 

When unregistered buyers purchase the pattern, according to Etsy, the receipt is emailed to the customer with a link to download the file. Sometimes I think there is a short delay in the email with the link. Customers also seem to run into a problem when trying to download the PDF file through a phone, tablet, or ipad, but I'm not sure if this is a general problem (Etsy & Pattern). Have you encountered that problem with your customers?

I find Pattern purchase process much the same as the Etsy site. I do need to check the customer "notes" by doing a manual check like you do.

Thank you for your pattern purchase 🙂 Your order is linked to an account and not marked as "guest". 

Hope this info is helpful

1 Like

Jump to solution

@BeadCrumbs 

Thank you again for your reply.

Customers also seem to run into a problem when trying to download the PDF file through a phone, tablet, or ipad, but I'm not sure if this is a general problem (Etsy & Pattern). Have you encountered that problem with your customers?

My editable pdf files only work properly in adobe reader and I clearly state this in my listings. Plus I include an instruction sheet with all my orders. But of course some folks still have issues (luckily for me not a lot of folks) until I explain why the file not working properly on their web browser or phone.

When I first started selling wrapper printables on Etsy, my listing weren't for instant download. I would actually personalized the files and then email them to the customer within 24 hours. A standard non-editable pdf file. Which made it easier to offer multi-color chooses in a single listing. And not have to create a listing for each color and/or design selection like I have to do now for the instant downloads. So while there are many benefits to offering instant downloads, I sometimes have considered reverting back to regular printables sense it's now easier to request from a customer the information they want placed on a design. Will at least through regular etsy. And if I manually email or conversation customers their files then it's my understanding I can avoid having to submit Vat fees. Which I guess means I wouldn't have to necessarily use Pattern.

I guess everything has it's pro and cons.

I hope everyone has a great day! Smiley Happy

Syl

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.