So I just got off the phone with a Joann's Fabric rep and explained my concerns because I buy 95% of my supplies from there and they stated that they already test for lead in their craft items and will have lists ready after Feb 10 to give to consumers.

Again I ask why do I have to retest items that have already been tested? It's ludicrous.

Re: Talked to a Joann's Fabric rep...

Agru:
One would think that since it has already been tested they would think that was well enough to leave us alone.

Past Perfect:
In Congressman Salazar's defense, he probably didn't read the whole bill. I asked this very question and the gentleman I talked to said that the law in itself was so broad that they didn't even consider us. Let's be honest here, it's not unheard of. How many other people contacted their reps and they had no idea that the law as written was so vague.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
agru
Inspiration Seeker

Even though I'm not directly affected in any way (until they start coming after even more of us), I raised my children on thrift shop/garage sale/private crafter furniture, clothing, and toys. In fact, my grandmother instructed me in how to remove milk stains from the necklines of baby undershirts (Clorox 2 made into a paste and left on for 10 minutes before washing).

It infuriates me to no end that this short-sighted law by small-minded politicians could affect so many people!

Just letting you know I'm doing what little I can to get the word out. I even sent several emails to the Good Morning America show and staff. They had a segment of thrift shop clothing, so I took it as an opportunity to comment how CPSIA might eliminate that option to parents of young children. I also added a dig about how the mass media, with the exception of the Wall Street Journal and Forbes, have been ignoring this story.
0 Likes

Here is the email for the component testing comments un Jan 30:

Sec102ComponentPartsTesting@cpsc.gov

OP you should send then exactly what the person you talked to from Joanns said.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thank you so much for letting us know this. I as well get my fabric and crafting supplies from jo-Ann's....

But now I am confused.....

I still have to test even if I can say where I got the fabric and can prove they have already tested for lead?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

This may sound like a dumb question? But what sort of Federal 100,000 person task force will need to be put in place to keep all you folks in line. Is that even feasable? Could anyone really enforce this with the millions for crafters making and selling goods?
0 Likes

Yes sugarbeez. Until anything changes final products need to be tested in Aug. Until then it's a "reasonable testing program" which you can search on the forum and see what other people are doing.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I buy pretty much all of my supplies retail. It makes no sense for me to retest them. I think some people in Washington have lead between their ears.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I think some people in Washington have lead between their ears.
---------------------------------------------
BWUAH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
0 Likes

meredithdillman:

This is what I emailed that address earlier today.

"I just got off the phone with a rep from Joann's Fabrics. She informed me that Joann's already tests all of their products for lead. I purchase 95% of my supplies from Joann's. Also, as of Feb 10 they will have the test sheets for these products available to consumers. My question to you is: Why do I have to retest my one of a kind item if the supplies I used to make said item have already been tested? Doesn't make much sense does it? J**** B**** Colorado
0 Likes

Happy Cloud:

I agree. What the heck are they thinking?

I dont' think there is any way they can inforce this law. I mean there are a few a them and millions of us. How are they going to keep track?
0 Likes
SoCalHazeDesigns
Inspiration Seeker

marking
0 Likes

From what I've heard most testing centers will refuse to take products from small businesses because they're already overloaded and it's not worth their time to deal with us.

Nice, huh. Even if we possibly had the money to test, most of us wouldn't even be able to!

I think it's really encouraging that suppliers are having their items tested, gets us closer to getting the law amended to allow for component certification.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

maybe we should all put our money together and invest in lab that is just for lead testing. Then we would be in control of what it cost to test and we would make money off others that need testing (keeping it affordable)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

oh, that's great! thanks for posting!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.