Former_Member
Not applicable

I'm confused....

Ok, I know this has been talked about an awful lot, but I'm still confused. I'm in Australia - do I have to stop selling to America? What can I do to make sure my items are "safe"? Is this applicable right now? I thought I saw something about postponing a year, but don't quote me on that. Please answer simply as I'm very confused :)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
7 Replies

Re: I'm confused....

Looking forward for replies too. Confusion reigns :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi! Unless this Law is implemented as originally designed, you will be unable to sell items for children under 12 that have not been tested for Lead content by the date set forward. We are hoping that it will be changed ...
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

If you are selling to the US right now you must know that your items meet all lead requirements. If you can know this without testing then you do not have to test - but you could be asked to document the components of your products. As of Feb. 10, 2010 you must have each finished "lot" of items tested by an Approved Lab - many of which are outside the US in the Far East. This is about as simply as it can be put.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

thanks for the help so far - is there anyone else?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

At this time there is a stay for the required 3rd party accredited CPSC lab testing for most, but not all children's products and you still must be sure that your products fall below the current lead and phthalate levels. Also as of right now there are exemptions of certain "raw materials" and a list of strict testing deadlines for products that are not made entirerly of exempt materials. Best thing to do is start with this http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/smbus/cpsiasbguide.html you might have to click around to find all the info you need. The guide is written in everday english & will help you make your own decissions about what can and can't be sold to the USA.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I'm not worrying about CPSIA right now. These people in Washington are so busy throwing each other under the bus about the AIG bonus situation, they don't have time for anything else! I never saw such entertaining T.V. as I did today w/that hearing. Mr. Liddy should have told them to stuff it!!!
Helene
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

ashleyfs
ashleyfs says:
I am a Canadian manufactuer that is dumfounded by this!
This makes absolutely no sense to me why if you have certificates from the companies that say make the metal clip that I use on a soother holder why that wouldn't be sufficient enough but no I would then have to send it once I sew the ribbon onto it to have the ribbon, the thread and the clip tested so that it includes the complete finished product. Why? There is no lead in the ribbon or thread for gods sakes!
So now I can't sell into the US?
Am I understanding this properly?
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.