Former_Member
Not applicable

Has anyone tested copper wire for lead?

I buy copper wire from my hardware store and I use it to make jewelry. Has anyone tested or know if copper wire has lead.

I have mailed the company asking about lead, but I have not heard back yet. I may have to mail them another letter again.

Is stainless steel the same thing as surgical steel. Does anyone know if memory wire has lead.

Sorry for asking so may questions, but I really like to make things with wire, But I have put using wire on hold till I know that they are safe from the CPSC.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
20 Replies
bobbinalong
Registered Buyer

Re: Has anyone tested copper wire for lead?

I am confused. Wire in products for kids?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jewelry, Young kids like jewelry.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I think stainless steel is accepted.
For content in wire, if you know the manufacturer, you can request the MSDS sheet. I haven't done this yet but it's worth a try. I don't make jewelry for small children.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

A lot of kids for the ages of 7 to 12 years old love jewelry. I sell lots of kid jewelry during craft fairs.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Copper sold at hardware store are meant for electricity, there is no lead in them, we use those at work all the time.
0 Likes
bobbinalong
Registered Buyer

We have copper pennies.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Pennies are pewter/lead plated with copper..
Unless they are prior 1960...
Well in Canada...
0 Likes

nellyvansee says:
Well in Canada...

It was about 1982 when the USA went to a copper plated zinc penny.

Don't suck on coins! Lots of weird metals, alloys, and coated with germs!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

i don't know about copper wire but some wires have lead in them.... i'm not 100% positive but pretty sure.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Even if we don't make jewelry for kids, still I think we have to warn the buyers the policy and be cautious because we don't know who that was for they're buying?!
0 Likes

i had a friend who checked out her hardware store copper wire and 2 out of 3 brands did have lead. children or no i wouldn't buy it. scary. i wore her jewelry for years.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

rpfeikgraphics
rpfeikgraphics says:
nellyvansee says:
Well in Canada...

It was about 1982 when the USA went to a copper plated zinc penny.

Don't suck on coins! Lots of weird metals, alloys, and coated with germs!
------
My brother ran over some coins with a car once, just to see what they'd look like when they got smushed. Kind of interesting the shapes that they turned into....
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

A car? Oh, train tracks give much more fun results for smooshing pennies.

I am following this thread, though. One never knows what one's children will ask one to help them make and with what....
0 Likes

Copper is just that copper,brass is copper and zinc,bronze is copper and tin.There are some copper wires that have lead insulation but these are used for industrial purposes. One thing you can do to be more sure of what you are working with buy US made products. It's sometimes very hard to tell what might be in imported items.
0 Likes

copper from electrical cable wire is best to use for jewellery, as it is completely pure+uncoated - even the recycling chain is completely separate unlike other alloys that can be used for jwlry, (like brass with its tin+zinc varying content).

Copper wire that is produced for jewellery, (and other hardware uses but not in electrical wire) and is coated maybe has to be checked for this other content (though it wouldn't be lead)?
0 Likes

ok, i guess it could be lead...

In my experience (Europe) the normal electrical cables for house installations are completely free of any impurities to comply with quality standards.

Maybe this could vary depending on the country you are buying in.
0 Likes

etincelledesign, I can say with confidence that the copper and brass produced in this country (the US) for jewelry is safe to use. I used to work in the commercial jewelry trade and I have been in the factories I now buy my supplies from. That's why I don't stock import items in my shop. The only things I have in my shop not made in the US are some glass and some vintage glass.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

If you are buying copper wire, request a copy of MSDS (material saftety data sheet) so you know the content of the alloy. If you are buying from a hardware store, the copper wire is probably intended for use in the home and the requirements are different than for copper intended to be used in jewelry. Lead and cadmium (also, not healthy) are common additives in industrial alloys as they make metal easier to pour in its molten state and more malleable for stamping/ extrusion.

Bottom line, don't rely on advice from the internets. Demand information & certification in writing from the manufacturer.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

If you get your wire from a dedicated supplier who knows exactly what alloy of wire you're buying - because they buy it in bulk and have the data on what each individual alloy contains mineral wise - you're safer as far as knowing the material content.

While yes - copper wire is 'pure copper' no not always - especially if its wire that's been salvaged and has been melted down & remade into wire - there's going to be trace minerals in the alloy. dealing with good wire distributor who knows the alloys will be able to tell you what is in the wire you're buying.

for every metal there's at least a dozen if not more different alloys - for steel there's over a thousand different alloys.

"Surgical stainless steel" more often than not contains nickel - the element known to cause most allergic reactions to jewelry. Unless you're buying wire that has a known content for being #%of x and #% of y - then its a guessing game.

My supplier for wire sells copper that is per them - pure copper. Most of the bronze i use is phosphor bronze which means its copper, tin & phosphorous; though there's also a pretty sulfur bronze (copper, tin & sulfur); then I also use nickel silver (copper, nickel & zinc - no silver)...for aluminum I use alloy 5356 which contains: silicon, iron, copper, beryllium, zinc, manganese, titanium, magnesium, chromium and most importantly Aluminum. All of those 'other' components in 5356 alloy Aluminum add up to less than 1% but they're still included in the mixture.

Knowing the alloy of the specific wire you're using in any given piece will help you determine its metal content.

Shopping from a good wire distributor who knows the alloys they sell -will be able to point you to the mfg and probably will hand you the MSDS and or the ASTM-testing paperwork for little to no hassle some of these are even available online through the various associations whose job it is to work with these metals in more original purposes (welding/construction) because workers are around the wire in dust, heat, etc they know what's in their metals so they know what precautions if any their workers need to take.

Unfortunately craft stores/suppliers like blue moon beads/fire mountain gems simply don't care about anything but their own bottom line.

KNOW your product - inside & out - that's what it boils down to. if you'd like info on the supplier i use - feel free to send me a convo
-frawggie-
0 Likes

If you are making jewelry for children, the MSDS sheet will not be sufficient. You must have testing done by a CPSC certified lab for lead in PPM.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.