Former_Member
They have re-arranged some of the guidelines for soap and cosmetics. Here's a link if you'd like to check it out.

http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/ucm074201.htm

For the most part soap is ok, just make sure you market it properly.....
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: FDA Guidelines for Soap and Cosmetics

.....grr
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

marking to read later, too.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

drugs have to be approved, in the specific formulation. full stop. spf claims fall under that too.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

marking
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

If you eat your soap, you will lose weight!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

lmao @ Lizannasonthelake..
has that statement been approved by the FDA?
0 Likes

OsayinHolistics says:
lmao @ Lizannasonthelake..
has that statement been approved by the FDA?

Sounds good to me. If I eat soap, I think I would puke. Too much puking and I would lose weight. There, no FDA needed, I just proved it :P
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

lol KBShimmer! :)
*runs off to eat all my soap*
0 Likes

Thank you for posting that. I read the FDA regs before I ever started selling my makeup, and have known about the SPF claims- I have a blurb in my profile or policies about that. A lot, if not most, cosmetic sellers on Etsy claim an SPF number on their products.

Just know they cannot do that without lab testing and certification, and yes, then the product becomes a drug and is subject to a ton of labeling, ingredients, etc. regulations, as well as batch testing and a ton of expenses that unless you are a large mfg. are completely outrageous.

I really wish Etsy would make sure personal product sellers complied with at the very least, packaging and ingredients labels- and also claims made about products that are not able to be made as KB quoted "Remember the FDA states drugs are things that: diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treat, or prevent disease or affect the structure or any function of the body of man or other animals"

It's all a part of being knowledgeable about the rules, regs and laws regarding what you are selling, whatever it may be.
0 Likes

Good Grief! I think I'll just stand out in the rain to get clean. Too much government!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

All the regs are definitely keeping me from selling my soap on-line so far. (And the liability issues).
0 Likes

I wouldn't let their rules stop you from selling. Just stay clear from making claims that your soap will help eczema or calm your nerves.
0 Likes

Marking, thanks.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I wouldn't let it stop you LizAnna. Just label everything properly and get product liability insurance.
Go for it! :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for the encouragement, tgurley!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

marking
0 Likes

Marking.
0 Likes

tgurleybathandbody says:
I wouldn't let it stop you LizAnna. Just label everything properly and get product liability insurance.
Go for it! :)

Exactly my thoughts tgurley! And having a great policy is soooo important!
0 Likes

Beep beep!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Gah so much to running a business...
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I'm trying to think of a way to rename my lavender tea tree cleanser.. that helps customers with their acne..

I don't know if I should say..our combination of lavender and tea tree essential oils deep clean,washing away dirt and other impurities..
The skin type is for oily but I do NOT want to get in trouble with the fda...Should I just say formulated for oily skin but not say it's to help with acne? like my fountain of youth bar..
This bar is especially designed for mature skin. Using the secret of Cleopatra of using whole fat goat milk and honey for beautiful skin and face. I added calendula, rosewater,geranium essential oil, rose hip oil and lavender essential oil to this luxurious secret to create Fountain of Youth

Ingredients: Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Castor Oil, Safflower Oil, Glycerine, Goat’s Milk, Purified Water, Sodium Hydroxide, Sorbitol, Sorbitan Oleate, Soybean Protein, Titanium Dioxide, Calendula,Rosewater, Geranium Essential Oil,Lavender Essential Oil, Rose Hip Oil,Honey

This listing is for ONE four ounce soap bar
0 Likes

maybe say that its been known to be affective on oily skin? I dont know, its such a fine line.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Osay, I wouldn't write it so that it reads about YOUR soap doing those things---I think that's where you can cross the line---but rather just talk about the benefits of Tea Tree/Lavender oil in general.

For example, I have this as part of my description for my Tea Tree Lemon soap:

Much like regular Tea Tree, Tea Tree Lemon is said to have antiseptic, anti-microbial (praised to be good for acne problems), carminative and sedative properties. It has also grown into a premiere ingredient in bug-repellent products – in other words, Tea Tree Lemon oil is said to help ward off those pesky mosquitoes and other bugs, so among other times, it's also perfect for use at the cottage or during camping trips.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Marking
0 Likes

KreatedbyKarina says:
Osay, I wouldn't write it so that it reads about YOUR soap doing those things---I think that's where you can cross the line---but rather just talk about the benefits of Tea Tree/Lavender oil in general.

For example, I have this as part of my description for my Tea Tree Lemon soap:

Much like regular Tea Tree, Tea Tree Lemon is said to have antiseptic, anti-microbial (praised to be good for acne problems), carminative and sedative properties. It has also grown into a premiere ingredient in bug-repellent products – in other words, Tea Tree Lemon oil is said to help ward off those pesky mosquitoes and other bugs, so among other times, it's also perfect for use at the cottage or during camping trips.

That is exactly what you can NOT do. Even if just making claims as to ingredients, the FDA sees it as making a claim as to the product.

This I have learned, not only from selling B&B, but from working at a drug mfg plant. There I completed and gave training on FDA regulations.

And mentioning about repelling bug will get us in trouble with the EPA, who regulates repellents. It is a fine line we walk with so many overseeing our products.

Say what is in the soap and let the buyer figure out why you added it, smart buyers will know without use making claims.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.