Former_Member
I've been a casual beader for quite some time now, specializing in jewelry for my daughter and friends (specifically, those crafted with swarovski crystals). I recently decided to start my own business, but upon my research I discovered that no more than 1 gram can be used in jewelry for children under 6. (Please correct me if I understood this wrong).

Armed and ready to resize or repurpose the jewelry I already have on hand, I am at a loss as to any alternative that may be used in place of the swarovski crystals. Does anyone know of any products that are considered a safe replacement? I love the look and sparkle, so I am interested in something that looks the same (a girl needs her bling ;)). Are Czech glass beads ok?

Lasty, on to the debate. :D I've recently admired several listings for children's jewelry crafted with swarovski crystals. In these I have noticed that there are no warnings or disclosure about possible lead in the products. Is there are requirement to disclose this? Is it safe to assume that these products have been tested and are safe for wear by children? What does CPSIA mean for those who are selling children's jewelry? What is Etsy's stance on this?

My apologies for the novel and the million questions. Not only do I want to be a responsible seller, but I'd like to be a better informed consumer as well.

Your thoughts and responses are greatly appreciated. :D

Re: Alternatives and the Great Swarovski Debate

about leaded crystal for decanters

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_glass#Safety

It has been proposed that the historic association of gout with the upper classes in Europe and America was, in part, caused by their extensive use of lead crystal decanters to store fortified wines and whisky.[8] Lin, et al. have statistical evidence linking gout to lead poisoning.[9]

Items made of lead glass may leach lead into the food and beverages contained.[10][11] In a study performed at North Carolina State University[12], the amount of lead migration was measured for port wine stored in lead crystal decanters. After two days, lead levels were 89 µg/L (micrograms per liter). After four months, lead levels were between 2,000 and 5,000 µg/L. White wine doubled its lead content within an hour of storage and tripled it within four hours. Some brandy stored in lead crystal for over five years had lead levels around 20,000 µg/L.[13][14] To put this into perspective, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's lead standard for drinking water is 15 µg/L = 15ppb.[15] Citrus juices and infant formula leach lead from crystal just as effectively as alcoholic beverages. Several companies do make lead crystal baby bottles and it is suspected they may present a health danger to infants.[13]

It has been proposed that the historic association of gout with the upper classes in Europe and America was, in part, caused by their extensive use of lead crystal decanters to store fortified wines and whisky.[8] Lin, et al. have statistical evidence linking gout to lead poisoning.[9]

Items made of lead glass may leach lead into the food and beverages contained.[10][11] In a study performed at North Carolina State University[12], the amount of lead migration was measured for port wine stored in lead crystal decanters. After two days, lead levels were 89 µg/L (micrograms per liter). After four months, lead levels were between 2,000 and 5,000 µg/L. White wine doubled its lead content within an hour of storage and tripled it within four hours. Some brandy stored in lead crystal for over five years had lead levels around 20,000 µg/L.[13][14] To put this into perspective, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's lead standard for drinking water is 15 µg/L = 15ppb.[15] Citrus juices and infant formula leach lead from crystal just as effectively as alcoholic beverages. Several companies do make lead crystal baby bottles and it is suspected they may present a health danger to infants.[13]

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

whoops...sorry....double copy and paste
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

jlyndesigns says:
whoops...sorry....double copy and paste

lol! More like triple copy and paste. It's still early, drink more coffee.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

"If anyone can prove to me that a leaded crystal or decanter has lost any weight from exposure to normal food/drink/mouth acids, I'll eat my hat."

With lead enough to cause serious neurological problems you are talking about minute amounts from the crystal but still enough to poison you. Don't be like the guys that drink DDT to show its harmless. Lead is a problem in food ware.

Full stop.

It is toxic, it causes nerve damage. For THIS thread, simply don't suck beads for hours on end. In general though this denial of science, proven for over a century, is really silly.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.