Getting the best weight estimate for int'l shipping

I am getting ready to up my game and ship internationally. I think it is the only way to start making some real sales. Since I do vintage,every item is unique, and many need to be double boxed since they are breakable. For my big 2 domestic sales, I did priority flat rate, by the time I double boxed and added packing material, the cost was basically the same, and I say in my policies that I ship priority domestically unless the buyer requests otherwise (those boxes USPS gives you are just too easy).

My question is, since I do not wrap and package stuff until it is sold, is there a good formula or method I can use to determine shipping rate after I weigh my item? I would rather over estimate weight than under. Also, if the item is over 4 lbs, should I still do international? It sounds like it may be cost prohibitive. I do not not want want to spend alot of time figuring shipping costs that no one will pay. On the other hand, in some countries, they will be getting a deal because what they are buying is not available there, or is much more expensive there, so they do not mind paying megabucks to ship it. Any thoughts please.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
2 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Getting the best weight estimate for int'l shipping

Since shipping costs are based on weight you will be much better off if you can at least get an idea of what the items weigh.

For example, a brooch that weighs less than about 3 oz can be shipped within the USA for about $1.70. To ship that same package to Canada would be about $8 and to anywhere else would be about $10.

You can use the rate table at USPS.com to put together a table for yourself for 1 lb, 2 lb, increasing in 1lb increments to give you some sort of idea.

For items over 4 lbs that ship USPS Priority International you can still list the shipping prices and let the buyer decide whether or not they wish to pay them.

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Getting the best weight estimate for int'l shipping

How do you ship your packages? You say they are double boxed, but what else goes in them? Styrofoam peanuts? Bubble wrap? Newspaper?

If it's something like styrofoam peanuts, i would fill the inner box with peanuts, and then package that box inside the larger box by whatever other method you do (peanuts/bubblewrap in the outer box?)

Essentially, what you have done is created your package minus the actual product. Weigh it. That is your "base weight". Then, you can weigh an individual item, add it to the "base weight" and arrive at your full shipping weight.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.