We love to hear how seller got started selling on Etsy. Here is your chance to get featured on Handmadeology and get some exposure for your shop.

Handmadeology is currently seeing over 50k visitors per month and over 100k page views.

Rules:

Answer the following 3 questions right here in this thread.

1. Tell us your Etsy story.. how you got started in your craft and how you started selling on Etsy.
2. What have you learned about business since you launched your Etsy shop?
3. Tell us one piece of advice for new sellers.
4. When a new story is published help spread the word via Twitter, Facebook , bookmarking, or blogging.

The easiest way to know when a new "My Etsy Story " is published is to subscribe to Handmadeology's RSS feed.
http://www.handmadeology.com/free-handmade-blogging-blueprint/

Oh and you will get my Handmade Blogging Blueprint for subscribing as well!

To start things off here is my Etsy story!!

http://www.handmadeology.com/my-etsy-story-timothy-adam-designs/

Remember there is strength in numbers. Handmadeology will do the featuring and publishing, but with the sharing is up to the team!

Go HMET!!!

Timothy
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: New Blog Topic - My Etsy Story - Get Featured on Handmadeology

Jump to solution

It was a dark and stormy night....no wait, that's a different story!

I started working with miniatures years ago with my father. He would build scale doll houses and donate them for fundraisers. He also made two very special houses for my twin sister and me one Christmas and I am happy to say I still have that house and my children enjoyed playing with it when they were young.

My father continued this hobby and began building a special house for each grandchild when they reached the great age of 10 (or double-digit midget). Unfortunately, my father became ill and passed away before all the houses were complete. My sisters and I decided we would carry on this tradition. Now I had been making many miniatures to fill these houses and helping and watching for years but had never built one myself.

I was designated "General Contractor and Electrician" My twin was hired on as "Chief roofer" and my oldest sister was our "Sander/Painter" We decided to make a house for our mother first since she had been waiting the longest :0) The house she had been eyeing for years was "The Harbor Side Mansion" complete with gazebo and glass sunroom.....oh my.

I am very proud to say that we have completed the remaining houses along with our Mother's help as additional Painter/Sander, etc. Since I have retired as a builder, I have returned to my love of making scale miniatures.

Right now my passion is with one inch scale Putz houses and original punch needle rugs. I have been gifting these treasures to family and friends for years. Joining Etsy is the first time I have gone public with my creations and I am loving it!

The biggest things I have learned since joining Etsy is that there are so many interesting artists willing to help anyone needing help and when setting up a shop, if you make a mistake it can be fixed. I have joined teams and connected with great people. I think that's the part of Etsy I didn't expect and am enjoying the most.

When setting up a shop, read as much as you can get your hands on. There is so much good information available. I am still learning as I am still new to Etsy. I try to improve one major thing a week. Last week I researched photography and built a light box to improve my photos. I believe they look much better and I now know more about photography. Next I am finding information on how to make a shop banner and I will. hopefully, have that in place this coming week.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
How it al began.... good question. My story in the beginning is like many others, my mother is a sewer she also does needle point, a dying are that requires massive amounts of patients and focus. It is still amazing to me the way she paints with thread, anyway enough about that. I started sewing because the "fashions" if you can call it that, that were available were dismal unexciting togs.

In my mid twenties I studied fashion at night school, took drawing classes and dabbled in the arts. At 24 I decided to commit to a full time education and enrolled in art school with every intention of studying textiles. Now I would like to mention at this point that this decision to go to arts school was more because I was following a boy, the school was were he lived, so long story short bad man good decision. Art school is where I found jewellery making and I was BLOWN away, I found my craft.

So fast forward to my early 30's after failed attempt at starting a fashion label I found my self in Vietnam and this time there was a MAN and a good one. So I stayed in Saigon, madly in love, broke and with out equipment. My studio packed in boxes in a dark basement in Canada i needed something to do with my hands, so I started doing the markets here in the city selling feather jewellery and thought, etsy, why not! The feathers didn't fly, sorry bad pun. But one day I found my medium, vibrant bundles of faux suede, so inspiring and requires very little equipment. I love working with it, I love wearing it, it's perfect!

What I have learned about business, one day at a time, breath and be patient. Learning how to market efficiently is super important.

New sellers, join teams right away, I didn't and probably have lost a lot of business and exposer because of it.

0 Likes
DressMeDoll
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution
I began collecting dolls about 40 years ago. But not until my daughter was born 1980's my interest in making doll dress came to light. I began designing her clothes, she was my doll and best dressed kid in town. as a child I made my own dolls and their costumes. My passion were Billy (German doll) and Barbie. I collected 100's of Barbie dolls which I kept boxed up until two years ago that I became disabled.

I heard of Etsy through my daughter (owns Where The Moon Goes on Etsy). I helped with loom beading to increase her inventory. While helping her i would check out other shops on Etsy and slowly brcame antsy to open a shop. I new what I was going to sell, my doll costumes, designed and created my by me!

I have learn a lot since I started. The most important one is my tremendous talent given to me. I surprise myself every day with visions popping out into my creative compartment of my brain.

With Esty I don't feel disable any more!

Thank You All

0 Likes
DressMeDoll
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution
I have a surprise for my viewers beginning in March. Be on the look out for my new line of costumes, and millinery items.

I love research, and today I learned only after the 1900 trousers became part of women's style and has remain so until today.

I'm very happy for that!!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Check out my latest blog. Thanks for taking the time.
http://upcycledpetals.wordpress.com/2013/02/27/hope/
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
1. Tell us your Etsy story.. how you got started in your craft and how you started selling on Etsy.

I have always loved photography but never realized how much until I received my camera as a birthday present from my husband a few years ago. I immediately began taking pictures. I learned how to use the camera pretty much on my own, taking only a few classes and reading tutorials online. I would bring my camera with me everywhere we went (and I still do), and took pictures of everything. I started to post some on Facebook of vacations, excursions, etc and received a ton of compliments on them. I was told constantly that I should be selling my work. Finally, after being told for months that I should give Etsy a try , I decided to take the plunge and put up some prints.

Well, I have learned that I know very little about business! I work full time as a Speech Language Pathologist for preschoolers, which means that business is way off of my radar. Having just started Etsy about a month ago, I have realized that I need to market my work extensively. I have made a Facebook page for my work, have joined Twitter and have made a Pinterest account as well. Business is hard to get into, especially with no background in it at all, but I am learning as I go- getting advice from others who have been successful, and reading online A LOT. Overall, that it's not that easy to sell and it takes time to get yourself out there.

Once piece of advice for new sellers would be to read about SEO and familiarize yourself with it before putting up work on Etsy. I have had to go back and change so many of my titles and tags so many times because I didn't know what I was doing, and figured I could just fake it. I know that there is a learning curve, and you need to actually try different tags, terms, etc and find out what works best, but i could have saved myself HOURS had I known what I should be focusing on at first.

4. When a new story is published help spread the word via Twitter, Facebook , bookmarking, or blogging.

Happily! :)
0 Likes
Apopsis
Crafty Poster

Jump to solution
The Story
I am a self- taught crafter. The art was always part of our family tradition and I think that a small portion has been passed to me! My passion for crafting has started many years ago as a way of diffusing my creativity and energy. Yet, it is only during the last years that I have realized the need to focus on creative ventures. I spend most of my spare time experimenting by making things by hand, sewing, embroidering, beading, painting, decoupage, collage, rag rugs, jewellery making and whatever inspires me. The wealth of nature is the ultimate gift and inspiration to me !
I am fascinated turning used and new fabrics or raw materials to artistic creations. Finding the potential of each material and turning it in a unique piece of art is my driving force and inspiration. In other words I am expressing “my apopsis”; my point of view in my native language, Greek. I was keeping everything I was making for me or offer them to my friends as a gift of heart until I discovered ETSY. I admit that was quiet an experience! I wanted so much to join ETSY and share my creations but I had no experience at all about selling, promoting, anything! So I took things from the very beginning! Studying, searching and reading e marketing, sale and promote, a lot !

The experience
My experience with ETSY is impressive. It is the safety net for me. Their advises and support are valuable.They opened the door to me and my bags to the world. What was the lesson? Joining teams, sharing ideas, experience, promoting, making tags, outstanding photo shooting (still a lot to do), keep my eyes wide open to the new ideas and work a lot. Nothing is easy and nothing is given without hard work

The advice
Respect your buyers and treat them they way you would like to be treated! Mind the package.
To research everything up front.
Promote, share, keep up with new ideas. Watch online lab videos.
Joint valuable and helpful teams/blogs and exchange ideas like HANDMADEOLOGY
And moreover follow your instinct and passion !!
My desire is that my work makes people happy. It is pure joy to me when something I have made is cherished as someone’s favorite thing. I believe that in using it, the owner will have more joy and radiate this to those they come in contact with, and that the magic of the deep woods will continue
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Hi! My name is Samantha and I'm a wife and stay at home mother. I started my Etsy account because I make handcrafted jewelry and organic supplies. I am also an artist and graphic designer and will soon be posting those things as well. I started off simply selling person to person but I am not making the income I need to take care of my business or my family. I have heard wonderful things about Etsy and decided to join on and see what the fuss was about!

I learned that promoting and networking were very important things to business when I started this shop. The more people you meet the more your talents will be shared. So be nice to those around you at all times! I have seen businesses treat customers like they meant nothing! It is very sad to see because those people who visit your shop are the ones who are putting food on your table. We all have to help each other and show love. Don't be stingy either! Give away things when you can and be grateful at all times...you will be blessed!

One piece of advise is to learn good keywords for your products. Having the background I do in SEO and web development has helped a lot. It doesn't take a fortune to learn these things either! Just network and talk with people, there are a lot who want to help without asking for a dollar!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
1. My husband and I started our store when we were engaged. We decided that everything we did for our wedding needed to be personal, simple, and something that we could keep forever. Being from Texas, we decided to have a rustic rehearsal dinner theme out at my parents ranch. We had a work weekend with both of our families, and we made a lot of signs. We had so much fun doing it, and we decided we would try ETSY to see if we could sell any. (And we needed some more money for our honeymoon) Once we started listing on ETSY, we began doing great! It has been so great and a constant adventure, and we love it! I am so glad that I was able to find a business that both my husband and I love to do together! :)

2. I have learned how important it is to communicate with your customers constantly! I have also learned different ways to hang our signs, and different screws to use that make making the signs easier and more durable for our customs forever. We want to create an item that will last a lifetime, so we are always changing how we are doing things to make sure we hold up to our own standards!

3. I would say the most important thing for new sellers is to make sure that you stay optimistic- you're first sale WILL come! Also, when do you get a sale, go above and beyond to make sure that customer is happy-word of mouth can quickly spread, and you want to start off with 100% positive customer satisfaction! If you are wanting to open an ETSY shop, but you need motivation to do it, please contact me, and I would LOVE to help you get started! :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
What a great idea!

1. Tell your Etsy story-how you got started, etc.
I've always loved making crafts since I was a little girl. I much preferred the craft classes at camp to the more traditional activities of swimming, etc. So, crafts have always been a part of my life.

Fast forward to the present. Two things happened: I fell in love with genealogy and I became the recipient of many family photos, letters, postcards from the generations past. I desperately wanted to share what I had with my family and encourage others to get their ancestors "out of the box".

Making scrabble tile Christmas ornaments with my ancestors' images just seemed logical (and fun!). Oh the conversations that were sparked from displaying my ancestors' images in a variety of ways.

I wanted to help others discover and share their ancestors, too. That's how Esther's Place came to be on Etsy. [My shop is named for my great grandmother Esther Richardson Talbott.

2. What have you learned about the Etsy business since you launched your shop?
I've learned how much I don't know! Seriously, there has been a learning curve and I have more to learn. I think one of the biggest lessons I've learned is to not be shy promoting myself and my shop.

Take time to educate yourself. Etsy provides many great resources on their site to assist the new (and experienced) seller.

That's my story - What's yours?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I'm a S.O.U.L ~ SPIRIT Of Unconditional LOVE..Aspiring to INSPIRE before I expire :-) (-:

Hi,
I am Meena Krishna from Northern Minnesota .. a spiritual Seeker who believes in giving back to the society as much as I can n I donate part of every sale either to Red Cross, Care for children or Disaster Relief Fund.
I am mother of two b'ful Teens. Me n my husband have relocated quite a few times after marriage from India to Dubai, Canada and from last 4 years settled in Northern Minnesota. With every move I have changed my profession from Sales Admin to Software (Oracle DBA), Stock Market to Health n Dental Insurance. Few years ago finally quit corporate world n started volunteering/counselling for a NGO.
Jewelry designing is one of my many passions which turned in to business :-) Not too long ago (last spring break) my daughter wanted us to make some dresses n Jewelry. We bought quite a few beads / findings and designed some matching jewelry for the dresses I stitched her ..
when I put up pix of the dresses n jewelry some of my friends wanted to buy jewelry .. so I started taking custom orders where i had to make 20-25 sets for my friends n family .. As it grew bigger some of them wanted to see the designs n buy online so started Facebook Page n ETSY shop in a hurry .. As it all happened out of blue I wanted to learn Jewelry designing traditionally and joined Diploma in Jewelry designing ..currently learning soldering n Metalsmithing ..
I am Indian who grew up wearing Jewelry for every occasion .. so I find great inspiration from ethnic designs of Indian Adornments. Most of my jewelry are created using Gold plated, sterling silver, copper n brass often embellished with semi precious gemstones.
My other passions include Photography, Yoga, Meditation, Cooking (vegetarian Indian cuisine) .. Love to travel with my family .. especially long Road trips .. talking abt travelling .. I also love to Astral Travel n Time travel tho' its way beyond normalcy :-)
Past 5 yrs was into counselling n sharing spiritual knowledge .. but lately have been concentrating more on studying as am juggling with my jewelry designing exams n designing jewelry.

2. What have you learned about the Etsy business since you launched your shop?
I have learned true meaning of multitasking and being a superwoman :) .. i was ETSY challenged for a while ..now i have some spare time to checkout all the help i can get from ETSY.

check out all the resources, learn and dont b shy to ask for help .. Invest as much time as you can on ur etsy shop.. improvise and for sure orders will flow in ..
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
1. I've been making jewelry since 7th grade, thanks to my crafty mother. I gave all my jewelry to my family members for holiday gifts and one day my aunt told me about Etsy. My grandfather loaned me some money and I started up my Etsy shop.
2. Since opening my Etsy shop I learned how challenging keeping a business open was. My ideas didn't always match my budget and sometimes I had o deal with that. I don't sell things on Etsy to make money. I don't make enough to do that. I sell things on Etsy so I can make more things to sell on Etsy. Jewelry making is something I enjoy doing. I love knowing that someone in the world some one is wearing a piece of art that I made!
3. Advice to new sellers is don't give up! If you don't immediately get a sale wait for it. Also, it helps if you start up your store during a holiday season when everyone is buying.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Get Away the J Way Blog
http://www.jaylidesigns.com/1/archives/03-2013/1.html
I hope you’ll enjoy! :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I have loved art ever since I was a child, drawing (okay, tracing) pictures of animals and totally ruining all of my father’s bills and documents. Although I never dreamed of making a career out of art (mostly because of the “starving artist” stereotype), I still loved seeking creative pathways as forms of stress relief. I went from drawing/cartooning, to anime/manga, to CG, to pencil portraits, and finally, to polymer clay.

Working with polymer clay has been such a…different experience. It is such a tactile material, and the spatial element makes everything so frustrating but fascinating at the same time! I was inspired to work with it after seeing so many miniature food items on Deviantart, and thought about making them myself. It was such a learning curve; because the cost of materials is higher than what I’m used to, I bought very cheap products. Sculpey Original, while great for beginners, is very soft and breaks fairly easily. I’m glad that I ran out of it, and have upgraded to Sculpey III and Premo!Sculpey, both of which are much stronger when baked (though they hurt to condition).

Maybe it was the fact that the materials cost so much, or maybe it was because I saw other users do it, or maybe it was because a friend of mine suggested it, but I decided to sell the charms and jewelry that I was making. Being the naive person that I was, my original prices were $1.50-$2.50 for a pair of earrings! That was insane! I think all I did was double the cost of materials. I did not take into account an hourly wage, or baking times/electricity costs, or profit. Nope nope. I clearly remember thinking to myself,”If Forever 21, a retail store, sells earrings for only $1.99, how am I, with my handmade earrings, going to compare and possibly attract customers?”I can’t believe that I thought handmade products are of worse quality than the manufactured stuff! I’m pretty sure my family made fun of me for being such a poor businesswoman, but all I remembered was being estatic when a classmate would order a pair. I think I got around 5-6 orders at the time?

I began raising my prices to around $3.50-$7.50 a pair, I think…and then no one bought HAHA. So I stopped working on it for a while. Re-focused on schoolwork. I would be inspired once a blue moon by designs that other artists come up with, or with the food I see at bakeries, but it was all so…time-consuming, and I really wasn’t a business person.

And well, to sell online, I needed a credit card and Paypal account. Which meant waiting till I was 18 years old. I applied for a card the month of my 18th birthday, and told myself, “What the heck. Why not?” and began making plans to seriously open up an Etsy shop. It sounded more fun than a typical part-time position.

Which mean coming up with a title.

Now, I know that my title, Tofu’s Trinket Shop, sounds weird. Child-like. It was a risk because I know that some shoppers probably won’t take me seriously. But that’s okay with me, but Tofu’s Trinket Shop has personal significance. Believe it or not, Tofu is a mispronunciation of my birth name (I wasn’t born Pauline!). My best friend couldn’t pronounce it, and Tofu was the closest she came to. And it stuck. So now I use it—partly because it does refer to me, and partly because it’s a token to one of my closest friendships.

It’s a trinket shop because I feel that the stuff I make is ornamental, has some value, yet isn’t exactly grandiose. It’s something that I feel that preteens and young women can both wear—fun, casual, yet (hopefully) playfully and elegantly feminine. I know the words “cute” and “kawaii” pop up when one thinks of my style, but I really do try to stray from that; there’s a level of realism that I want to capture in my pieces that “cute” and “kawaii” just refuse to cover.

And well, I’m lazy, and being able to use acronyms would be cool. TTS has a ring to it that I like, so I guess it works?

Over the first few weeks, I ended up doing more research than I thought I would, learning about jewelry allergies (hence the reason why I use hypoallergenic surgical steel hooks), shipping policies, packaging ideas, SEOs and relevancy…just a lot of marketing and logistical stuff that I didn’t even think about. I learn something new pretty much every day.

I try to design and create new products when I have the time (usually on weekends). We'll see how things go!

Keep doing what you're doing. The first few weeks (or even months) will suck, and you will wonder if it's worth it. But if you enjoy it, isn't that all that matters?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
1.I have always made things,from paintings and writing,to pop up
books and comics , to multimedia paintings and photography. I have been making jewellery for about three years now, I started off with feathers and beads but then bought some leather scraps and fell in love with it, it is very soft and light and comes in so many shades and finishes. I began to sell on Etsy because a friend told me about it and I found so many beautiful shops I just had to join in on the fun.

2.I have learned a lot about running an online store, from SEO to photography, mainly from reading the forums and learning from the community at Etsy. I have learnt to be patient and keep working on things, nothing is ever perfect and you should not give up if you don't make sales straight away.

3. New sellers should read the forums, there are some amazing teams where people have shared great tips and knowledge, as well as offering support and advice to specific problems. I would also invest in an editing program for photographs, gimp is a great free alternative to Photoshop.
0 Likes
BoChicca
Registered Buyer

Jump to solution
1. Today I can't believe that I lived to 35 and did not even think and try to make jewelry. Oh no, of course I did a lot of things just around it. In my family it was impossible not to start to create just anything. Because all my relatives (women) were and are talented in something hand making. My mom was knitting amazing sweaters all my childhood for me and my two sisters.

One of my grannies, my dad mom, she was a pediatrician. She embroidered fantastic tablecloths, napkins, collars also. Violets and pansies were her favorites. She also made fabulous laces (I use some of them in my brooches and necklaces sometimes). She died before I was born but my dad has kept the shelly box with her creatures, bright blue beret with two broken ostrich feathers and small green bone hand fan. As far as I remember now I loved to scrutinize and put on all this treasures for hours.

Another granny was unique in sewing. Just after war she sewed for all fashion women of our town. She made magical things from very simple and not even bright soviet fabrics. It wasn't her main job, just for her soul. She managed directors of shops during the day. And sewed dresses, jackets, coats, skirts at night... She taught me to sew. And she taught me to be perfectly accurate. Even if no one will see the backside and inside it should always be faultless.

Some years ago I've found very old document confirmed that my great-grandmother in 1918 got the gratitude for "talent in making dolls" for charity foundation in Ukrain and also that "she not only highly qualitatively created dolls but also invented new techniques in this process". Marvelous!

So you see this luggage gave me no any chance to pass by the handmaking. But it seems to me now I was a bit like a sleeping Beauty from very strange fairytale. I did not make jewelry until my husband has gone. Even as hobby. He was my prince vice versa :) he awaked me by his leaving. After divorce I went to live and work in Moscow as a business trainer. It was my main job for 12 years before.

But Moscow first of all became the place of my start as a master of small and beautiful things. I was very lucky! My boss, colleagues-trainers and friends helped me to believe and gave a great support! They admired, praised, encouraged and bought my first things.

Then I became pregnant :) it was amazing because my elder son at that moment was thirteen and all feelings became very sensitive. I came back to my native town to born our child. At the same moment my friend and partner in BoChicca brand (we’ve founded it together) became also pregnant! And we started to make jewelry together teaching each other new techniques and sharing ideas. We made plans and at that moment started to think about Etsy. I even registered the shop… But was it scary for us or we had no time, I don’t even know why. Was it high responsibility? Year ago she decided to work alone. It was very sad for me but we’ve kept our friendship and still sharing ideas.

Then my small son was born. Child if differ at 39 than at 25. It is a lot of feelings and happiness and a lot of sleepless nights and very busy days. Thanks to my husband, mom and mom-in-low! They gave me possibility to make my jewelry further. And one day I remembered my decision to sell at Etsy.

It was not scary anymore! My husband said: “Sure! Just start!” and I’ve started! I’ve read advices at etsy-ru.livejournal.com and in some team discussions at Etsy. I wrote to some active etsy-sellers and asked for some advice what to start first. I’ve made special closed group at vk.com and start to collect there all systematized advices, useful links, texts and inspiring pictures. I’ve made bright pictures and start to study to write correct titles, testy descriptions and tags. I’ve started to make treasures and use instruments that help to make them faster. I’m still studying :)

2. I’ve learned at Etsy that if you don’t move you can forget about sales :) And the phrase by the Red Queen that she said to Alice: "in this place it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!" is absolutely correct describing your Etsy business :)

3. Use ALL your talents and resources here: talent to write inspiring texts, making amazing pictures, combining colors (and train this skill through making treasures). If you have no some of this talents just find anyone around you who can help. And don’t stop ;) especially to ask and study new.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
My Etsy Story by Kate Hopkins
It’s easy to fall in love with handmade natural soaps: the wonderful scents, the creamy luxurious lather, and how your skin feels after washing -squeaky clean, but soft, supple and moisturized. I was a natural soap customer and soap lover long before I began making them. I began making soap five years ago, when a dear friend, who is an Acupuncturist and Doctor of Herbal Medicine, taught me all about soap making and essential oils. I learned the healing properties and benefits of herbs and flowers. A hobby grew into a small business and I sold my soaps at farmers markets. Working directly face to face with customers, I learned what was important to them and what they wanted in their soaps. I loved the markets and it was valuable experience, but after spinal surgery I could no longer haul all the soaps and set-up tables, etc. As fate had it, my dear friend, Liz, joined me and we became SoapBunny. We knew that on-line selling was where we wanted to be and Etsy had an incredible reputation as a marketplace for artisans. We launched our store in November 2012.
I have learned so much about my business since I launched my Etsy shop. I’ve learned that you have to love what you make and sell. It is evident as I look at the stores on Etsy when they love their craft. Having a cohesive vision (called branding) is something I am still developing and it is much a process of self-discovery as it is a business strategy. I know I want to make soaps with essential oils, botanicals and natural additives that improve the look and feel of skin and aid the spirit through aromatherapy. Until I could clearly articulate my vision, I was all over the place. Excellent photography and writing skills are paramount to having a quality store and I have worked very hard to keep honing these abilities. Lastly, I learned more (than I ever wanted to know) about search engines and how information is assimilated on line. Like most artisans, I like the creative side of my business more than research and statistics, so this is a stretch for me.
My advice for new sellers would be that you have to be a constant learner. Talk to other shop keepers online and read the wonderful information people have shared. Look at other shops to see what are pleasing layouts, color schemes, and photography. Keep improving your craft and your shop - there are so many resources available to you to be successful and you need to take full advantage of them to reach your potential. And although the SEO (search engine optimization) is very foreign to many of us, you have to learn about it. Even if you have the best products in a beautiful store – no one will ever find you without SEO. “If you love what you do – you’ll never work a day in your life.” Confucius
0 Likes
hipposdream
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution
Thanks for the opportunity to share our story!
I have definitely subscribed now the the Handmadeology's RSS feed.
Here is the story behind “Hippo’s Dream”.

I am a true flea market lover; or better said addict…
My favorite pastime was and is to visit thrift stores or local flea markets in summer.
And nothing gives me more joy then finding a little hidden treasure in a box or to see some peculiar object on a small stall.

My shop is called “Hippo’s Dream” for a special reason...
Years and years ago, when I was a young teenager, I bought on a flea market a mother and baby hippo from the seventies. They were handmade and the mother was truly a big, big animal...I loved them!!!
Years later when I moved house I decided that my little brother could sell my hippos on a local flea market....and now 20 years later I still miss them and I regret that I have sold them. I still have a few blurry pictures that remind me of them.
On every flea market I still look and I hope one day that I find them back....

So I hope that some of the vintage items that I sell in my shop will also give the owner as much joy as my hippos or even better that they find back the treasure that they are searching for, for many years....

I have learned that it is hard work and that you need to dream big.
I started my Etsy shop as a bit of a trial. I was selling on eBay and on a certain evening I stumbled upon Etsy. I decided to open a shop and list 2 items. The shop was nit nice at all.
Big was my surprise to see the next day that I had sold an item.... so I was hooked.
In the beginning I mainly focused on selling very small collectibles, toys and a lot of postcards.
Then I gradually changed my offer and decided it was time to change my pictures, from a dark carpet background to a bright white one.
And now I have adapted my shop look and created a new avatar and banner that fits with my shop name and my story behind my shop.

It think you must have heard a lot of tips through the great teams and forums that Etsy has: good title and description, SEO, shop look, pictures, ...
For me it is all about pictures.
This is the first thing a potential customer sees: a great pictures or an awful one.
Which one will draw him or her into your shop you think?
It is also a lesson that I have learned with time and now I am practicing to have much better pictures then in the past. And I see a difference... not necessary immediately more sales bit more views, favorites and treasury list. And that alone is a good start!

0 Likes
modestly
Crafty Poster

Jump to solution
Well, how did I get started? It has been quite an organic journey for me, I have always loved history and art, philosophy and nature. I have always created since being young, drawings, paintings, poems. Then I created two wonderful boys, got divorced , remarried, three more stepsons and suddenly time didn't allow for my crafts. I did do things, but they were boy based, like Warhammer painting and making scenery for them. Then they grew up , I became more housebound because of suffering from fibromyalgia, and I needed a purpose. Crafting gave meaning back to me. I love making my books, thinking about the themes, researching them, drawing on photography, or art works from collections, considering words that work with them. All those processes drive me to keep curious and interested in reading more, observing more, feeling alive to new things. I like the handcraft of putting the books together.

When I first joined Etsy, I didn't know anything. I listed and hoped. Nothing happened.
Then I went to a local meeting of Etsy crafters and was inspired and encouraged to look at my listings, learn about tags, learn about taking good photos, learned about teams.
I had a mentor who has held my hand, she has been wonderful. She looked at my listings and advised me, and encouraged me to join her team.
Teams are great. I love reading what everyone else is up to. and the support is amazing.
One piece of advice I would give, is buy something. See how it is sent, and think like a customer.
I bought my first purchase, a card, and it came in a beautiful envelope, promptly, with a message. I looked at how I would deliver to my first customer.

Oh and be patient. It is overwhelming to begin with, but it;s like driving, once you know the mechanics, the driving starts to feel easier.
Good luck!!
0 Likes
TheSilverPendant
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

My management level "day job" took 50 to 60 hours a week, and I began working with metal clay on Sundays, just to be able to s..l..o..w.....d..o..w..n. I don't want to use the word therapy. I got hooked on the stuff. I began selling my work word of mouth. Then at a certification class I heard about Etsy, but I dismissed it for months. Then one day I visited the site, and BOOM, hooked again.

If you open a physically located store, you need to invest a good amount o' money to make money. To make money here at Etsy, you only need to invest positive thoughts, a little computer savvy, ability to use a camera and edit shots, and time.

Add one new item in your shop every day for the first year.

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I started working in my current medium about 15 yrs ago. I have always been a sewer - making my own clothes since I was in high school. My husband worked the graveyard shift and slept at odd hours, so I had to find a 'quiet-time' activity. I had been given a kit in plastic canvas so I got it out and started it - the haunted house. Well, it has at least 30 pieces and since I have never worked with plastic canvas I was lost. It took me about a month to finish it - about 3 weeks later I sold it to a neighbors friend. From then on I was hooked.

With a collection of items I had made gathering dust, I decided to built a website a few years back. I sent the website to a few friends asking for opinions on content, appearance, etc. The feed back was good and bad but also the came the introduction to Etsy. So here I am for the last 2 years. I am still fine tuning the shop but have been growing in exposure and inventory. The inventory building is a slow process since some items can take over a week to make.

Advise to anyone new - keep reading what you can on opening and running a shop, join teams - even ones that do not seem to 'fit' your product and have patience. Things will happen!!

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution

My Etsy story starts off like most Etsy Seller stories; friends and family encouraging me to sell my products online. At the time (2007) I knew of Etsy and had even visited a few times. But, if I’m being honest, I didn’t really like it. So, I decided I was going to have a website built. What a mistake! The years went by. Thousands of dollars went up in smoke and I still had no website of my own. So, I stopped the madness. I took a little time to reflect on what I had done up to that point. Should I forget about this little dream of mine? Should I establish a brick and mortar store? I couldn’t decide what to do when one day, by chance, I landed on Etsy’s site once again. The first thing I noticed was the look and feel was quite different than what I had remembered. I poked around and saw some great items. I decided to read the Seller’s handbook. I couldn’t believe how easy it was to set up a shop. From the management tools to establishing my inventory to the advice and forums.. I could go on and on. I’ve never once been sorry I joined the Etsy community of Sellers. Great, great people.

The biggest lesson I’ve learned is to start small and build from there. Not only to I get satisfaction in watching my business grow, I also get to be involved every step of the way.

Read the Seller’s Handbook and follow it to the letter. Etsy has an impressive repository of tips, articles, FAQs, training etc.

Thank you for reading.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
When I was a little girl, my older sister sewed all of her own clothing and taught me to sew as well. I was in 4H and made my clothes all the time. I really loved sewing and being creative. My sister taught me short cuts and how to make my items more unique. As the years went on, and I had less time to sew, my sister still made me my clothes for school. She then opened her own quilt and gift shop business and continued to make handmade gifts and quilts. I helped her with her business as much as I could and then started attending craft shows with her. Then after I graduated from High School and went on to college, I made my own handmade items and sold them at craft shows and craft stores. I continued to do this after college and really enjoyed making items and seeing the expressions from customer's who just loved my creations. I have made yarn coasters, painted various wood miniatures to now making wreaths.

I was at a craft show selling my creations and saw the pip berry wreaths, I told my girlfriend that I wished I could make those too, but didn't know how to. She sold handmade painted items and she was good at constructing and designing. She explained to me how to make the wreaths, and since then, I have been making pip berry or floral wreaths. For many years I have sold at craft shows in my area or local craft stores. It wasn't until all of the craft stores closed down that I decided to go on line to sell my creations. I started with Ebay and then created my own online web store. I was interested in Etsy, but always thought my items were not good enough so I opened an account but never sold here. Until last year when a customer told me about Etsy and how she loved it, I then decided to try and sell on Etsy. It has been my best decision yet.

I have learned so much about my business since I have joined Etsy. I really love the Etsy community and how they support each other. We may sell similar items, but I have found that other wreath designers are willing to help me if they can. I have ventured out and asked them questions on how to promote my store, to get better sales and they have helped in many ways. I like that selling on Etsy also includes the treasuries and teams, so that you build more friendships and not just concerned over sales.

My one piece of advice for new sellers is to learn to promote your Etsy store through the teams, Facebook, Pinterest and anywhere else that you can. It does really make a difference in how many views your store receives and how many treasuries you are included in.

I can't wait for the Fall season to begin, that was when I became very busy last year and that was my first Fall season on Etsy....I will be much better prepared this year!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I started making candles a few years ago and found I had more candles than I could burn or give away! About that same time, I was looking for additional sources of revenue, so I took the leap and opened my shop on Etsy!

I sell a variety of container candles, including votives and tea lights, and have expanded into home fragrances such as room sprays and diffuser oils.

My candles are a custom blend of paraffin and soy waxes. Paraffin is used to hold the strong colors you see and scents you smell. Soy is used to create a product more eco-friendly to our environment. Together, a quality product is created and tested to be the best possible for you and your home.

2. What have you learned about business since you launched your Etsy hop?

This takes work! It isn't for the faint of heart. You can't rely on just having a good product, you have to market your product, your store, and most importantly, yourself!

Build your store inventory. Think about it - when you go to a bricks and mortar store, you tend to stay and shop the store who has a lot of products. The same is true for an online environment. Don't be afraid to have multiple listings of the same product, perhaps with different photos. You just don't know what is going to grab a new customer!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I steadily believe in following your heart, in spite of what anyone else may think. It was a leap of faith for me to follow mine, but I’ve learned that it’s the only way to live life. I opened up my shop with no expectations. I just thought “it is what it is and it will be what it will.” I was actually quite anxious to jump in, but I’m so glad I did. I love connecting with my customers, whether it be online or in person and seeing people enjoy something that I’ve made. It’s mind-boggling to be able to make money at something that I love to do. I try to make things that I love, and then return hope that others will love them too.

My favorite part of running my shop is the hands on portion of doing what I love. It’s another whole world of creativity that I’m just getting into. I’ve learned a great deal and have much to go, but I truly am enjoying the journey. I also enjoy hunting for fabric, supplies, and inspiration where ever I can find it. I often have an idea of what I’m looking for, but love to keep an open mind and search for those unanticipated treasures. Those treasures usually end up getting me totally diverted, dreaming about their potential, but I guess that’s all part of the creative process.

There is a real sense of gratification and ownership that comes along with running my own business. It’s actually really hard for me to not work. I’ve learned that balance is important, and breaks are essential. Family and friends are priceless and I’m so blessed to be encircled by them. I’ve also learned to develop a thicker skin. You realize that life isn’t perfect, and you can’t please everyone. I try to do my best, learn from my mistakes, and treat people how I want to be treated.

To avoid getting overwhelmed, I head to my store first thing so I can get a full day in, and save the emails and packing orders for the later in the day. I feel like I can shut all of my worries out when I’m in my store. I tend to get lost in the course of making pieces, and hours can go by in the blink of an eye. I run my entire business on my own, from making authentic pieces, to packing and shipping, to running my shop. It definitely helps to have another place I can go to create rather than just working from home where it’s easy to find an abundance of distractions.

I never thought of it other than as a hobby and something to break the monotony of my job, also never imagined I would be making a living from my creativity, and now I can’t imagine it any other way. My day never really ends and I’ve never worked harder in my life, but I’ve also never felt more satisfied. There are definitely days when you want to give it all up –but I clean myself off and start again, because it’s so very worth it. I still have to pinch myself every now and again that I am able to do what I love for a living.

I think there’s never been a more important time to be a mindful consumer. With more and more products being bulk-produced, it’s getting much harder to find a product that is not made in a industrial unit overseas – even high-end designer goods. While I cannot compete with low-cost, bulk-produced items, I feel like the advantage I do have is a personal touch. I think that is something people are craving, the more in-touch and tuned-out we become.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.