Hi Team!

As some of you are aware there is a new development with regard to our app where some members have had their twitter accounts locked. After taking certain steps they were able to unclock there accounts, however, I have just become aware of an account that may have been temporarily restricted in relation to what's happening.

I believe I have identified what in our retweeting triggered this response from twitter and I have our developer working on resolving the issue!

I expect to hear from him in the next few hours. I'm hoping for good news that this will be an easy fix!

***PLEASE NOTE:****
Those who are getting locked, as a precautionary measure, you may want to deactivate your Auto-Retweets for now. In your EtsySocial Dashboard - on the Auto Retweet Tab - uncheck the "Activate" box.

Please post below if you are encountering any problems.

We will get through this and back on track! Thanks Team!

Clarissa

Re: EtsySocial Retweets & Twitter - Important Please Read!

1. Your Shop Name- Sew Delightful Pillows
2. Have your been locked out any time in the last 2 days? Yes some 7x
3. Have you used the Etsy Twitter Button in the last 2 days? Yes, I use the Etsy Twitter short links within etsy social for automated tweets.

Right now etsy social is off. I am tweeting manually.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

1. Amoreinvitations
2. Yes - about 5 times +
3. Yes - I think I used the twitter button once since the button was restored
0 Likes

1.AluraCrafts
2. locked out 3 times.
3. yes I used etsy twitter button
0 Likes

1. BoyGirlBoyGirlDesign
2. yes 2x
3. no, only have used the etsysocial app
0 Likes

1. JKCMurano
2. locked out 2x
3. Yes
0 Likes

1. JKCJewelry
2. No
3.No, just the etsysocial app
0 Likes

Ok, I just got locked out again (this is the 4th time). Luckily I'm back in, but I haven't Tweeted anything or followed or unfollowed since this started happening. The only apps I have connected are Hootsuite and Twitter for Windows. I have no tweets scheduled on Hootsuite, and I have not added any lists (or added or taken off anyone from my lists. Plus, I only have 3 lists anyway). I have changed my password also.

If anyone figures this out, please let us know what you did. I will keep you all updated as well. I'm losing followers every time Twitter locks me out.....
0 Likes

1. DeegeeMariegifts
2. Three so far
3. I use TweetDeck to schedule my tweets
0 Likes

Hello everyone,

If the information serves them.
In this case I have no problems, if I had at the beginning with round team. I blocked the account for doing many RT, twitter has a daily RT quota.
It is to cancel the accounts bots, solve it by giving favs every time, which for twitter happens to be an account managed by a human.

I do not know if it also goes in the amount of followers that have each account, which allows more followers to raise the number of RT, or has nothing to do.

1. Digital Draft
2. No
3. No, I program from hootsuite, and space tweet every half hour.
0 Likes

I haven't figured anything out definitively. I know we are not the only ones experiencing this issue. I am convinced it's not our app per se, nor the Etsy tweet button.

My theory is that twitter created a new Model which defines certain behaviors as a spamming account. The model may be a good fit indeed identifing many spamming accounts but may also be generating some false positives. Those of us who got caught in this "sting" have done "something" or failed to do "something" thereby triggering their algorithm.

The only thing that may make sense since many of us use auto tweet and auto RTs those behaviors may be triggered the Model. BUT I also use tweetdeck to schedule tweets and our EtsySocial app to automatically tweet. I also use our App here plus another service to auto RT, Yet, I did not get caught in this "sting". I tweet about 40 times a day and get about 900+ RTs per day. Why am I not shut down? (I hope I am not jinxing myself.) What am I doing or not doing to evade their dragnet?

The only thing I can think of that may apply, is that I do tend to log into Twitter almost daily, certainly every few days. When I add a new item I like to create the first tweet in twitter. This allows me to add multiple photos per post which tweetdeck does not allow. Once I have a tweet I like, I copy it and reuse it in Tweetdeck and our EtsySocial auto tweet service.

Do the rest of you actually log into Twitter as a user? Is it possible that you are active via auto tweets and auto RTs but don't actually log into twitter very often?
0 Likes
MadamCoyote
Inspiration Seeker

Yona, it's possible you may be onto something. I've been logging into Hootsuite daily, but I rarely log directly into Twitter.
0 Likes

1. CLaraRuthScarves

2. Have not been locked out at all

3. I auto tweet through Etsy-fu / Twitter-fu. I'm logged into Twitter and Tweet Deck all the time and manually tweet through Tweet Deck occasionally. I am activated to auto tweet through Etsy Social.
0 Likes

I need to clarify #3.

I manually RE-tweet through Tweet Deck occasionally. I am activated to auto RE-tweet through Etsy Social. I always manually tweet on the Etsy page tweet button and auto tweet with Twitter-Fu.

Sorry - it was too early in the morning when I replied! ;-)
0 Likes
SwirlingOrange11
Conversation Maker

@paula what is space tweet?
0 Likes
LMcreation
Registered Buyer

@SwirlingOrange11 I think @paula means she spaces her tweets every half hour.

1. LMcreation
2. Locked out 3 times
3. Yes I use Etsy tweet button
0 Likes
SwirlingOrange11
Conversation Maker

@lisa Thank you kindly :) was hoping it might be a tweak LOL

0 Likes

Hi: Bonnie checking in here.

1. BonnieLouLane, ART, Cards & More
2. No, I've never been locked out ... just checked on TweetDeck now.
3. No, I never use the Etsy Tweet Button except when I do a new listing, which I haven't done recently.

All seems to be fine with me ... and I have 89 visits already today.
0 Likes

Just an update, I got an automated email from Twitter 2 nights ago (after I filed a report with them) telling me to change my password (which I had already done that night). I responded to that email yesterday after I went through the steps to get my account back again (which is what I read online to do), since it didn't really address my issue (it was for people who could not login). I have not heard anything back, but it has been over 24 hours and I have not been locked out since. So, if some of you are still having problems, it might be worth it to file a report, and then respond to the automated email that they will send you.

I leave Twitter logged in every day on my desktop computer. I often do my Tweets right on Twitter (although I use the button on the Etsy listings when it's available too). I use Hootsuite to schedule Tweets about 70 minutes apart (it sounds weird, but I like them to be at different times, so I don't put them exactly an hour apart). Up until a few weeks ago, I was retweeting people who retweeted me using Hootsuite (not automated, just going in, seeing who retweeted while in Hootsuite, and going to their Twitter and retweeting something from them). It certainly wasn't a fast enough process to look like any sort of automation. I haven't even been doing that lately because I have been out of town much of the past 2 months.

ETA, I'm a little nervous to start tweeting again. I guess I will dip my toe in the water again tonight if all is still well.
0 Likes
ManAndStone
Community Maker

1. PrayLoveYoga
2. locked out twice...couple days ago and then today (and side note: the twitter page kept looping my around locked unlocked locked unlocked until I was finally back in)
3. no, i never use the button

Thank you everyone for following/researching this!

I've been reading through the automation rules and our retweeting and don't see that we are in violation so hoping whatever this is, clears up soon! But all the more reason to start figuring out our next move!

Please check out this new thread:
https://www.etsy.com/teams/15782/etsy-meet-n-tweet/discuss/18506654/

Thanks Team!
0 Likes

Turned off auto tweeting 3 days ago but still got locked out of my account.
Any news on what we should do?
0 Likes

Here are the steps to get back in:
Your account is locked and we need to confirm you are the valid owner

If your account appears to have exhibited automated behavior that violates the Twitter Rules, we may lock it and request that you confirm you are the valid owner of the account.

To unlock the account:

Look for the message letting you know Your account has been locked.
Click or tap Start.
Enter your phone number. Please note that we will associate this phone number with your account.
We will send you a text message, or you will receive a phone call, with a verification code. It may take a few minutes for the code to be delivered to your phone.
Once you’ve entered the verification code, click or tap Submit to unlock your account.

If you have an email address associated with your account, we also sent instructions to that address. If you don’t see an email from us, please check your spam, junk and social folders.

https://support.twitter.com/articles/20171312#
0 Likes
SwirlingOrange11
Conversation Maker

I wrote twitter, I got a response 24 hours later, they said all is well, it has been since they wrote but there was no explanation as to why I kept getting locked out ... As Clarissa said, I think it was a "twitter" glitch not the new team retweet thingie. Seems to be resolved for at least a few days for me.
0 Likes

As far as I can tell I haven’t been locked out .
0 Likes

SwirlingOrange11 I post a tweet every half hour, only.
0 Likes

1. Lari's Jewelry Designs
2. No
3. No
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.