Hi folks! Thanks to everyone who responded to my previous post(s).

I have now spent the past week on Etsy Wholesale and have completed all of my summer buying for the artifactual consumables section of my art materials store. Yes, almost entirely through Etsy wholesale (and Etsy you'll find as you read down through my post).

I noticed there are quite a number of people posting with an interest in statistics and trying to understand buyers, so I thought you might like to peruse some of mine.

Caveats: I tend to be an unusual (read weird) decision maker, so I don't think I'll be providing a crystal ball or magic formulae for most buyers. Oh, and you'll also have to remember how comfortable I am with the Etsy format (as revealed in my last post) and how much happier I am buying direct from the producer, which again may make me an unusual buyer. But there may be some insights that are useful to you, especially the stats, and the factoids might help too.

STATISTICS (you'll have to imagine the bullets)

I have made a total of 10 orders through Etsy wholesale in seven days.

The average purchase was $533.55 US (around $608 Canadian at current exchange rate). This includes shipping.

The smallest order was $291 US. The largest order was $1473 US (I was emboldened as the weeks wore on....) The largest order does not yet include shipping.

Of the 10 Etsy wholesale orders, eight were from American producers, one was a Canadian producer and one was a Dutch producer. It will cost somewhere between $500 and $750 IN ADDITION to shipping charges to bring all of the American and Dutch goods across the border.

Categories I purchased from: 3 (Home and Living; Stationery; Art and Photography).

Objects I purchased: DIY kits, greeting cards that can be made into something else, ceramic magnets and mini-vases and mini-decor items, notebooks, giftwrap, coasters, paper gifts.

Least expensive object at wholesale price: $2.25 (greeting card). Listed MSRP: $4.50US. Price I will have to ask to make up for shipping costs and brokerage and duty and currency loss: $6.00 CDN.
Most expensive object at wholesale price: $16.50 (small ceramic vase). List MSRP: $33.00. Price I will have to ask to make up for shipping costs and brokerage and duty and currency loss: $38.00 CDN.

Number of other Etsy producers who benefited from my nosing around the categories and searching thematically: 3 (two American, one Canadian). Such was my great experience with Etsy wholesale that I was brave and convo'd people to ask if they were selling wholesale even if not through Etsy (they were! they've already been paid too!)... this included screen-printed tea towels in two cases and greeting cards in the third case.

FACTOIDS
1) I have one cart saved for fall and/or Xmas orders from an Etsy wholesaler who responded judiciously and thoughtfully to my original post. I was indeed curious to see what everyone who commented had to offer, in addition to my searching through the main categories. I think this speaks to either (ahem) my susceptibility to intelligent communication, or to the fact that participating in the wholesale beta forum might offer an Etsy wholesaler some advantages! (Note that the same cannot be said for unjudicious comments; posting about lack of general buyer interest in your products is not a good idea because you are presenting the idea that ALL buyers are rejecting your products.This is a good way to repel a potential browsing buyer and I can't emphasize enough that it is problematic to do so.)

2) Two Etsy wholesalers lost out on orders which had to be cancelled after I submitted them. In the first case, the Etsy wholesaler had not updated their linesheet. Making sure your linesheet is current is very important because wholesale=professional. In the second case, the Etsy wholesaler was in the midst of moving across the country and had not hidden their linesheet and once I discovered this I could not wait to see how and when that producer might be able to fill the order because wholesale=available, or wholesale=can be reasonably produced in reasonable amount of time. Which gives us this statistic: 2 of the 12 potential Etsy wholesale orders were not prepared to wholesale, or 15%! This was unexpected. I do not think that a buyer on Etsy wholesale should need to convo you before ordering to make sure you are operational and equipped to produce!!!!! I do not think that you would want them to always have to convo you which is an extra step that the buyer does not necessarily have time to address and which might get in the way of their commitment to stay interested in your product, so please stay vigilant as to your currency and be at the ready to produce and be wholesale professional! Remember that these are much larger orders than a regular Etsy order, so any misstep can mean much greater losses and the loss of a repeat wholesale customer and wider distribution and recognition of your products! Ouch!

FINAL THOUGHTS...
This is so much better than a tradeshow.
It is possible to have a community of buyers and sellers in here who learn and earn together.
I cannot wait to see how Etsy Wholesale develops in the next year or so.

Cheerio,
shannon
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: First two weeks as a buyer on etsy wholesale!

Glad to read this post - always be: READY - AIM - FIRE!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing!
0 Likes

thank you very much!!!! it is and will be incredibly useful for me :-)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for the great input!
0 Likes

Thankyou for sharing your experience.I am new here and have learned so much already by reading your post.
0 Likes
HyssopArts
Registered Buyer

Thank you Shannon for this. Really helps. I am based in UK but most of my clients so far have been in the US and Canada so I converted my currency to compensate. Its all exciting to say the least.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thankyou Shannon!
I am curious to know how appealing it might be to purchase from OS designers/makers. Can you shed some light on your thought process, pros and cons of this kind of purchasing decision?
Regards, Daniella
0 Likes

Insightful. Thanks :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

This has been so wonderful to read :) Thanks so much for taking the time to write this. I am starting to sell wholesale to stores (four so far) although I am based in Australia. And it has been the most wonderful jump in my business success. I love the feeling I get when I send of another bulk order. It has been lovely to read a point of view from the other end of the process.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thank you so much for sharing this! This sort of insight is invaluable. We really appreciate it!
0 Likes

As a brand new Etsy wholesale seller, thank you for your insight!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thank you Shannon for sharing your experiences... I found it very insightful :-)
0 Likes

Thank you for a great post!
0 Likes

Thank you for posting this valuable feedback.
0 Likes

Thank you for your words will remember to keep all of these great points in mind :)
0 Likes

Thank you for sharing, Shannon! That was great, candid insight into what my international customers deal with in regards to keeping a profit after import duties.
0 Likes

Thank you for that valuable information Shannon!!!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I suprise there is wholesale etsy. I hv printing business for photos..I also can make customized watch n T-shirt also jewelery. Any ideas how I can offer this service
0 Likes

Hi Shannon - Really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience from the buyers point of view! Oh my goodness, I have so many questions now. Since we haven't worked together, I hope it's okay if I ask a few followup questions (things I'd like to know, but wouldn't feel comfortable asking my own customers)?

1. Do you seek out makers based on their locations, or are you mostly looking for quality / interesting products? It sounds like you ended up ordering from mostly non-Canadian makers this summer, but does that hurt you when it comes to your own prices since you have to factor in shipping and customs fees?

2. Did you find any of the sellers on Etsy Wholesale had policies that turned you off? For example, if a seller asks for payment up front, rather than net 30, and you prefer one over the other, will you still want to work with that seller?

3. You mentioned the price ranges for the items you recently purchased - is that typical for you? Do you find Etsy Wholesale sellers are lower or higher priced than your other sources? Just curious how we compare to the trade!

Thanks for your time!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi I'm Rhonda my shop Luxdelin and am new to Etsy Wholesale, 4 weeks ago, I have listed my products etc on wholesale, but to date no sales or enquiries, which is a bit disappointing, anyone got any tips for me I have set a minimum order of $500 and my products average around $75-$250.

Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much... rhonda.
0 Likes
soobeeart
Inspiration Seeker

Wow...thank you so much for your insights as a buyer. As a new wholesale seller, I soaked it all up and am taking your words to heart. Thanks again!
0 Likes

This is a great post-- very insightful to get the buyer's side of the Etsy Wholesale experience.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thumbs up.
0 Likes

Great post - since I'm new to EW this week, this was very helpful. From what you've said, I feel like I'm already on the right track as I prepare to launch.
0 Likes

I find myself referring to this thread repeatedly, thank you for all the insight and especially to the OP for starting this discussion. I had a representative selling my product for the past six years so this is all new to me but very exciting!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.