Former_Member
Not applicable

Customization's for Retailers in Wholesale?

How many of you designers and sellers out there are open to custom orders in wholesale? I know I am but I feel like it's really a niche thing. Maybe I'm wrong? Would love to hear everyones thoughts!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
5 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Customization's for Retailers in Wholesale?

I'm open to custom to an extent - I don't mind changing ink colors, or even changing a city name on something that says "Nashville," to another town. Occasionally a retailer might not realize what that means when it comes to screenprinting - it means I have to create an entirely new screen. It's not as simple as "just changing the city" sounds. I don't mind the process at all, but sometimes retailers are surprised when I charge a design/set up fee for this and impose a larger minimum quantity.

Custom gets dicey for me when it becomes entirely their design instead of mine. It kind of bothers me when someone says "Oh I just need someone to do the printing for me." It's not always easy to then extricate myself from a situation like that. Has anyone else run into that? How do you handle it?

From everything I've read about wholesale though retailers like the exclusivity of a custom design, so I try to be flexible!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Oh and just to clarify, I do let a retailer know up front that custom will incur additional charges and don't move ahead till they've agreed to that. I don't just surprise them with the charges at the end!
0 Likes

Almost all of our wholesale work is custom. It's really why stores purchase from us. Both our cufflinks and necklaces are customized by location depending on were the shop is located and who the customer is.
0 Likes

Like Hummingbird Factory, I also have state items that I customize for any city or state. For the paper items, the price and minimums are the same although my production times are higher since I don't have any backstock ready to ship. For screenprinted items, I also require a higher minimum at first, but I don't charge a set up fee because I can keep the screen and reuse it for other shops in the same city. The next time they order, my minimums are the same as my non custom items. I also try to customize colors for state items because shops sometimes like to match their sports team's colors. I think it definitely makes you stand out among other sellers if you are willing to "customize" something for a retailer. However, I don't do completely custom designs for anyone. It's very hard for me to price a custom design because the amount of time I spend designing can vary so much from one project to another, and as soon I accept a custom order, I get a large wholesale order and suddenly don't have time to invest in a custom order anymore. Never fails.

I've looked at your jewelry several times, Natalie, and I love it! Do you only customize your state items for wholesale buyers, or do you customize other items as well?
0 Likes

We do Wholesale/Resale through our regular website.  Do you know if there is a way to do wholesale/resale on Etsy?

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.