Hi folks! Thanks to everyone who responded to my previous post(s).

I have now spent the past week on Etsy Wholesale and have completed all of my summer buying for the artifactual consumables section of my art materials store. Yes, almost entirely through Etsy wholesale (and Etsy you'll find as you read down through my post).

I noticed there are quite a number of people posting with an interest in statistics and trying to understand buyers, so I thought you might like to peruse some of mine.

Caveats: I tend to be an unusual (read weird) decision maker, so I don't think I'll be providing a crystal ball or magic formulae for most buyers. Oh, and you'll also have to remember how comfortable I am with the Etsy format (as revealed in my last post) and how much happier I am buying direct from the producer, which again may make me an unusual buyer. But there may be some insights that are useful to you, especially the stats, and the factoids might help too.

STATISTICS (you'll have to imagine the bullets)

I have made a total of 10 orders through Etsy wholesale in seven days.

The average purchase was $533.55 US (around $608 Canadian at current exchange rate). This includes shipping.

The smallest order was $291 US. The largest order was $1473 US (I was emboldened as the weeks wore on....) The largest order does not yet include shipping.

Of the 10 Etsy wholesale orders, eight were from American producers, one was a Canadian producer and one was a Dutch producer. It will cost somewhere between $500 and $750 IN ADDITION to shipping charges to bring all of the American and Dutch goods across the border.

Categories I purchased from: 3 (Home and Living; Stationery; Art and Photography).

Objects I purchased: DIY kits, greeting cards that can be made into something else, ceramic magnets and mini-vases and mini-decor items, notebooks, giftwrap, coasters, paper gifts.

Least expensive object at wholesale price: $2.25 (greeting card). Listed MSRP: $4.50US. Price I will have to ask to make up for shipping costs and brokerage and duty and currency loss: $6.00 CDN.
Most expensive object at wholesale price: $16.50 (small ceramic vase). List MSRP: $33.00. Price I will have to ask to make up for shipping costs and brokerage and duty and currency loss: $38.00 CDN.

Number of other Etsy producers who benefited from my nosing around the categories and searching thematically: 3 (two American, one Canadian). Such was my great experience with Etsy wholesale that I was brave and convo'd people to ask if they were selling wholesale even if not through Etsy (they were! they've already been paid too!)... this included screen-printed tea towels in two cases and greeting cards in the third case.

FACTOIDS
1) I have one cart saved for fall and/or Xmas orders from an Etsy wholesaler who responded judiciously and thoughtfully to my original post. I was indeed curious to see what everyone who commented had to offer, in addition to my searching through the main categories. I think this speaks to either (ahem) my susceptibility to intelligent communication, or to the fact that participating in the wholesale beta forum might offer an Etsy wholesaler some advantages! (Note that the same cannot be said for unjudicious comments; posting about lack of general buyer interest in your products is not a good idea because you are presenting the idea that ALL buyers are rejecting your products.This is a good way to repel a potential browsing buyer and I can't emphasize enough that it is problematic to do so.)

2) Two Etsy wholesalers lost out on orders which had to be cancelled after I submitted them. In the first case, the Etsy wholesaler had not updated their linesheet. Making sure your linesheet is current is very important because wholesale=professional. In the second case, the Etsy wholesaler was in the midst of moving across the country and had not hidden their linesheet and once I discovered this I could not wait to see how and when that producer might be able to fill the order because wholesale=available, or wholesale=can be reasonably produced in reasonable amount of time. Which gives us this statistic: 2 of the 12 potential Etsy wholesale orders were not prepared to wholesale, or 15%! This was unexpected. I do not think that a buyer on Etsy wholesale should need to convo you before ordering to make sure you are operational and equipped to produce!!!!! I do not think that you would want them to always have to convo you which is an extra step that the buyer does not necessarily have time to address and which might get in the way of their commitment to stay interested in your product, so please stay vigilant as to your currency and be at the ready to produce and be wholesale professional! Remember that these are much larger orders than a regular Etsy order, so any misstep can mean much greater losses and the loss of a repeat wholesale customer and wider distribution and recognition of your products! Ouch!

FINAL THOUGHTS...
This is so much better than a tradeshow.
It is possible to have a community of buyers and sellers in here who learn and earn together.
I cannot wait to see how Etsy Wholesale develops in the next year or so.

Cheerio,
shannon

Re: First two weeks as a buyer on etsy wholesale!

Thank you for sharing!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Oh my gosh, Shannon - thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough and thoughtful post of your 'buyer's perspective' on the Etsy Wholesale experience! Lots of good & simple advice on what sellers can do to make it easier for buyers to buy. Best of luck with your shop - sounds like you'll have lots of unusual fantastic things for your customers!

Thanks again,
~ Jennifer
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

That was a great read. Thanks for Shannon!

0 Likes

Oooo great report! Thanks for sharing
0 Likes

This may be an older post originally, but still a great report - Thanks for taking the time!
0 Likes
katiedeanart
Inspiration Seeker

Thanks for the insights! I'm a very prepared and organized greeting card wholesaler with beautiful floral designs if you are looking for more reliable products. 😉
0 Likes

Thanks for your thoughts. This gives a little hope to those - like me - who feel a bit left behind.

I really appreciate you took so much time to write such a detailed report.

Thank you!

Rita
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

thanks you :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

thanks you
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

THANKS
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

thanks you
0 Likes
RonHinkleGlass
Inspiration Seeker

I'm trying to find out if there is a way to offer drop shipping through Etsy for a wholesale customer?
0 Likes

Hi Ron-

EW isn't set-up all that great for drop-shipping. There are always work-arounds, but nothing that makes it convenient for ordering one or two things at a time. I mean, if your buyer wanted to create a purchase order each time he wanted to order one or two items, and that works for you...they could do that. Another option is to create a custom listing on EW for the goods that have sold and the buyer can purchase the listing...but that sounds tedious (unless you kept a generic listing up all the time and the buyer just added what they wanted through the notes section). You can always change things or adjust the price to any purchase order after they submit the PO.

I wonder if you would do better on the retail side, providing your buyer a coupon code? But, then the shipping might need to be altered from what you usually do for retail.

Here's this thread, with a response and suggestion from Admin: https://www.etsy.com/teams/15647/etsy-wholesale/discuss/16544142/

You can type in drop shipping or consignment into the search bar for this group, and find additional info. Even though they are two separate things, there might be some tid-bits of helpful info in the consignment posts.
0 Likes
aiwsolutions
Inspiration Seeker

0 Likes

Please check out my private label & custom products made entirely by us. A great way to start a business.

all wholesale here! https://www.etsy.com/MoonPhaseCustoms

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.