Former_Member
Not applicable

What would you charge?

I am looking for some advice from great Etsy seller experts on here :).

I have sold a pearl necklace to someone who wants to add a stone to it every birthday. I am having trouble pricing it. Would you charge them for the amount you paid for the stone plus a fixed price every year for adding the stone to the necklace?

Any help on this would be great - thanks!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
6 Replies

Re: What would you charge?

You are going to be sending this necklace back and forth every year? Sounds like you need to charge for more than just the stones, all your time should be paid for. And would you be charging again each year? What if the customer changes their mind? Lots of questions, not sure I've seen such a scenario.
0 Likes

So the customer is planning on having you add a new stone every year? If so, then I wouldn't make this a fixed price. I would charge for the necklace you are making RIGHT NOW for the customer, then if she wants to add stones next year then she would pay the price to ship to you, stone, shipping back to her. Don't charge on what she may or may not want in the coming years.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Congrats on the unique sale! Sounds like the buyer loves your product and has, essentially, invested in a relationship with you.

I would do as you suggest and make a listing for this year's stone addition. You can re-list it yearly. Charge as you do for your other items -- materials, labor, profit, etc. If you haven't sent the necklace/stone yet, I would enclose with it a small birthday card (or at least a note) with a business card and invitation to visit your shop next year to add to her necklace. If there are any special instructions around the stone addition to add (how to ship, etc), include them there and save a copy for both of your reference. That way, the burden to return lies on her and you don't have to keep track of this customer in a year.

Another option is to do like flower companies and other subscription services do and have the buyer purchase a few years' worth at a time. Then, the burden lies on you to remember to send the item for the next few years.

Personally, I would sell for the "now" (as Casi suggested) and encourage the customer to return, with a complete explanation of how things would proceed.
0 Likes
SpangGangDesigns
Inspiration Seeker

100% agree with Casi!
0 Likes

I would never charge prices for the future.
Only for her current purchase.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thank you so much everyone. It's always great to hear feedback from others and to have guidance to keep on track.

Thanks again for taking the time! :)
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.