Hi teammates,

You guys have some super creative shop names that I love, but I often find myself wondering what the story behind them is. What do you like about your shop name? How does it relate to your business? Is there a funny anecdote behind it? Is it a pun? Is it a tribute to someone special to you? Did you have a different name before switching to your current one? How do you think customers interpret your name?

I'll go first. I got the name Sassafras from a good friend of mine who always called me Sassafras when I said anything that was a little snarky. I also have a passion for botany, so a plant name just felt like a perfect fit for me.

Now it's your turn. Share your stories and thoughts in this thread!
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: What's the story behind your shop name?

When I started thinking of names I knew I wanted it to reflect my customer and my relationship with them. I also wanted it to reflect me. People are always telling me that I do so much for others and I got to thinking who are the others I do things for. Anything for You Creations popped into my head but the name was too long for an Etsy shop name. I shortened it to Anthing4UCreations and it is all about the special U ' s in my life.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

My shop name is a play on my last name which rhymes with "warm" (the e is silent) and the fact that I craft with wool. So, it reads as "warm wool" which embodies what I create, and the letters of my name are included.

People often think it says Wormy Wooly, so then I have to explain... :)
0 Likes

My name came from my passion for archaeology (Artifacts) and what I make (mostly dealing with the human face). The ART is capitalized to distinguish that I am making art :) I make sculpted art jewelry inspired by archaeology, anthropology, and mythology.
0 Likes
mblayers
Inspiration Seeker

I wanted to use a name that represented all the passions that I have for artistic disciplines. When I studied graphic design, interior design, and art in general looks like I always had to work in layers in order to consider all the principles and elements of design. Or, if I was working in an artwork I had to work in layers to achieve depth, texture, light and so forth.
In addition when I am editing designs or photos with my computer software I work in layers too.
So, I used my name and last name initials (MB) and the word layers that represents the several aspects of my artistic passions and the sum of the step by step art process I apply to most of my pieces.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Like others, every name I came up with was taken. Since I made things for dogs and cats and I was tired of trying to be imaginative, that became my first shop name...4DOGSNCATS... Then I added little girl's dresses and aprons and had Etsy change my name to 4DOGSNKIDS. I'm Still limited because now I also make aprons for women......hmmm....should have thought it all out better, huh???
0 Likes

I'm a young mother and like many young mothers I was struggling with my work-life balance. After fighting this battle for over two years I followed a course: ‘Getting things done by an optimal workFLOW’. This course provided me with tips and tricks to manage my time better, to get my priorities straight and as a result I started to get more things done in a shorter period of time. Which means more time to spend behind my workbench.

During the day I’m a part-time learning & development officer. In the evenings you can find me behind my bench. I chose WOLF as the name of my shop because like the animal I start making noise when the sun sets. WOLF is also a reference to the course I took (FLOW – WOLF).
0 Likes

well

8 is my favorite number. I see it as
"8 is great" but also
infinity,
balance and
yin & yang.

I am a printmaker so editions came natural.

I just feel like you can't say 88 without a skip in your step. It's upbeat and memorable to me.
0 Likes

Since my shop deals with concrete I wanted something that emulated it's weight/stature. 'Solid' came to mind as it's simple and I thought also conveyed a sense of quality. If something is solid it must be well built, right?

The 'Processing' came from my manufacturing background. At our facility we work hard on the process, not the part. By working on the process we try to minimize any unforeseen circumstances before they even have a chance to propagate.

Hence... Solid Processing.
0 Likes
FreshPie
Conversation Maker

I started a blog which I called Piewacket, after the cat in the movie "Bell, Book & Candle" but spelled it
Pie" instead of "Pye" the movie spelling cause I like Pie. :)

My blog became pretty popular and I opened my etsy shop about the same time, slowly it evolved to Fresh Pie and I like to think it's because I offer such tasty items!
0 Likes

My shop name is the address of our home in London, where my husband and I were expats. While living in London, I became very interested in antiques, popping into shops and visiting museums and castles whenever time allowed. I loved the history behind the every day objects we saw.

So when time came to open my antiques shop on Etsy, our home address at One Fairfax Road came to mind. I also thought it is easy to remember and portrayed the atmosphere I try to create in my shop.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I love this thread and reading everyone's creative stories!

My shop is named after our daughter because I started seriously crocheting and thinking about opening shop when she was tiny. We call her "DoodleBug". "Sweetness" because crocheting is like my de-stressing "drug".

:)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

NOLAtique....there is a special feeling about New Orleans, especially to those of us that were born here, raised here and refuse to leave here! New Orleans is a special town, with lots of unique (to say the least) sort of people. Finding vintage jewelry in NOLA is easy, since vintage is our middle name! I thought for a very long time about my shop name, and all of a sudden NOLAtique came to mind! New Orleans is loaded with small local mom and pop shops, and boutiques are a specialty...so NOLAtique only made sense to me! :)
0 Likes

My shop's name comes my city "Baltimore's" nick name" Charm City I went with outfitters because, well, I don't know most because when I looking for domain names. CharmCityOutfitters.com wasn't taken and I snagged it up because I thought it sounded cool.
0 Likes

We are vintage shop. There are three discoveries involved in our items. The first one comes from when we discover something we like at flea markets or auctions. The second discovery is when I research the item to find out who, what, when, and where an item was made. This becomes part of the listing title. The third discovery happens when a buyer finds the item they have been wanting for a long time and buys it.

Fred is actually a nickname for a grandchild who is daily making new discoveries.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I brainstormed on shop names, and ran them by friends & family to see what they liked. It was a favorite.
0 Likes

I had creative help from a copywriter at my work (lucky!). My middle name is Rose and I wanted that incorporated. When he said GluGunsandRoses... I was sold!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

This is a great thread!

My shop is named after my two Italian grandmothers. It represents an abbreviation of both of their names. I'm very proud of my heritage as an Italian American and with my grandparents immigrating from Italy to the US with very little to their name and no education, I always admired the strength, drive, and creativity they had to find better opportunities for themselves with very little.

My shop is all about sewing with repurposed burlap, and I felt that naming it after my grandmothers, who embodied resourcefulness and vision to make something out of nothing, was a perfect fit.
0 Likes

My shop name came from when my husband was in school and I was on maternity leave. We had no money at the time, so when Christmas came along I made up homemade star ornaments for Christmas gifts. (Lots and lots of them). haha They were inexpensive so being at home all day with a newborn I found myself surrounded by stars drying on every flat surface in our apartment.

My husband wanted me to continue with my photography and decided to set up a website and wanted to know a name. I told him that I couldn't think of a name because all I could see was stars.
This went on for months and eventually my answer was simply 'seeing stars'. My husband thinking he was being funny set up a page for my under that name. That was 13 years ago and I seriously still have about a hundred stars left from that year :) And the name hasn't changed.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

My shop name is to do with 'all things art on the computer', that's why it says 'mode' as I can relate to seeing this word on computer programs.

Thank you
0 Likes

Altha Ann was my mother's name. If she was still here, she would be right in the middle of it all helping make things. Sometimes I think she still is...lol.
0 Likes

It is actually the first paragraph in our About page and talks about all three of our shops:

Our passion is creating beautiful things to make the world a more beautiful place. We were married in 2003, and I (Barb) started making Victorian Ornaments to be with Dave while he made stained glass. They were a hit and we changed the name from Odyssey Stained Glass to Odyssey Creations, LLC to incorporate my new lines. Together it has become a growing passion of creativity and a journey of growing our business together with the goal in mind that this business would be our retirement business. We started this shop with Etsy in 2006 and about a year later branched in our other shops: BZ Originals for Barb's jewelry line, and Odyssey Cache for supplies.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Awesome thread. My first name begins with a K and my father's last name begins with a K as well. I like potting K King together and had the idea that I would have items galore. Still working on that part. :)
0 Likes

I wanted something catchy, that people would easily remember. I knew I would start with boy headbands and expand at some point, hence the "baby gear" part. I like the alliteration of the BoyBandz and Baby.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Wonderful idea:) my shop name is Mesmerize Garden.
Story behind is is mixture of my childhood memories of my grandmother old garden. When I was little girl I was spending lots of time in very small but sort of enchanting village and connecting with nature and wild as well as farm animals. I do remember those sunny lazy summers laying on the meadow and watching clouds passing by and imagining or trying to look for unusual shapes of clouds and see some mesmerizing unicorns and so on :)
I do also love dressing up (who doesn't right?) and I am considering myself as cross between mad hatter and Alice in Wonderland . Love childhood books from Andersen as well as classics like Secret garden just to name it few.
So that's me always little girl in my heart and my Mesmerize Garden story.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

thanks for inspiration Tess,
I did enjoyed all the stories but now after reading and posting about it I have decided that I should add this story to my Etsy profile as this will help potential customers to understand my products Still need to probably work on it but that's how if looks now:

HELLO and WELCOME.

..One day someone asked me : Where are you coming from ?
I've said : try to guess..well, all answers were incorrect...
eventually one of my Etsian friends said :" Anna is coming from land of the unicorns and eternal youth" ..
From that day it was clear to me that is definitely where I am coming from :)

Little story behind Mesmerize Garden.
Story behind name of my little shop is mixture of my childhood memories and my grandmother old garden & orchard. When I was little girl I was spending lots of time in very small but sort of enchanting village and connecting with nature and wild as well as farm animals. Loved looking and them , cuddling if possible and look into their eyes .Walking in the forest with my grandfather seeing reindeers and picking up wild mushrooms and blueberries... Cooking and baking with my grandma ... I do remember those sunny, lazy summers when I was laying on the meadow and watching clouds passing by and imagining or trying to look for unusual shapes of clouds and see some mesmerizing unicorns and so on ...Time is passing by so fast, and I wish I could get back there, but this place does not exist any more, all have changed, my grandparents passed away and I am missing them dearly, but I am still cherishing this wonderful memories and Mesmerize Garden is my escape to this place .

Oh and I do also love dressing up (who doesn't right?) and I am considering myself as cross between Mad Hatter and Alice in Wonderland . Love childhood books from Andersen as well as classics like Secret garden just to name it few.
So that's me, always little girl in my heart and my Mesmerize Garden story.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.