Hi teammates,

You guys have some super creative shop names that I love, but I often find myself wondering what the story behind them is. What do you like about your shop name? How does it relate to your business? Is there a funny anecdote behind it? Is it a pun? Is it a tribute to someone special to you? Did you have a different name before switching to your current one? How do you think customers interpret your name?

I'll go first. I got the name Sassafras from a good friend of mine who always called me Sassafras when I said anything that was a little snarky. I also have a passion for botany, so a plant name just felt like a perfect fit for me.

Now it's your turn. Share your stories and thoughts in this thread!
HnossDesign
Inspiration Seeker

Re: What's the story behind your shop name?

In Norse mythology Hnoss was the daughter of Freya and Odin. She was so beautiful that her name became synonymous with everything beautiful and was used in referring to a treasure or a jewel.
I named my company Hnoss Design, because I design and make pretty jewels and while growing up in Norway I read norse tails.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I love this thread! So many interesting tales :)

I'm originally an East Coaster, (I *LOVE* the ocean) and I make clay fairy themed items.
I wanted a name that paid homage to where I came from and depict what I made as well. So, after a bit of deliberation and tossing a few names around I came up with By The Fae.....as a play on words of 'by the bay' :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi Tess, what a great post idea :)

My show name is actually a japanese word ''Kirameku'' that refers to the sparkle of a morning sun on water that ''shines likes diamonds''. I found it so poetic and so accurate since I love everything that sparkles, I fell in love with that word :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Come visit my shop, I give you special price n Free shipping 😉😉😉

https://www.etsy.com/shop/XJACKPETAKfashion
0 Likes
MINKARA
Inspiration Seeker

Hello Tess!

It's funny, the name of my shop is the name of a tree as well!
MINKARA is the native Australian name for the Silver Wattle tree ( also known as mimosa or Acacia dealbata).
The first thing I learned as a Jeweler was to make metalized leaves with the real leaf inside while I was living Down Under, so giving my shop a Native Australian name was my little tribute to the place that allowed me to quit my high paid job at a pharmaceutical company to pursue my dream.
Ins't that a nice story? :-)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

My shop name is AngelBeachBathArt, a combination of my name and the things i love, the beach bath bombs and art.
0 Likes

it's my lastname :D
0 Likes

I'm an environmental educator by day and a crafter all other times. Most of my free time is spent in gardens and green spaces and my last name is Beazer! ;) I wanted something that would tie into my family.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Come visit my shop, I give you special price n Free shipping 😉😉😉

https://www.etsy.com/shop/XJACKPETAKfashion
0 Likes

I'm inspired by water and ocean and live in San Francisco just a few blocks away from Ocean Beach which is where I walk and enjoy every day. I've always been a ocean advocate volunteering my time and donating part of my profits to environmental causes like Surfrider Foundation and Save the Bay and from this OceanBeachGlass.etsy.com was born

Visit my store and get free shipping GLASSLOVE is the code -
great reading your posts, it's fun to see what inspires you all too -family nicknames locations.. etc
0 Likes

Well im Eddie and my Life partner is Stu and we make glass so its Ed and Stus glass. when we first started out it was envision glass and then went to e&s glass but in teh end we just use our names now.
0 Likes

Our Shop is named after our two daughters, Feather and Keela. Feath & Kee are their nicknames. :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I've always been a fan of space and the idea that we're all made of 'stardust'. Since I was opening a digital graphics shop, I wanted to tie in the two. So StardustPixels was born.
0 Likes

I've always liked magic and fantasy and, as the name of my store indicates, "the Fairies". Within this world I try to make pendants inspired by the fantasy of these beautiful beings with butterfly wings.
0 Likes

I am always coming up with some new thing. From Photography to cooking, to curling iron rest. Pretty Neat Ideas is the perfect catch all name.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Well Oeyso is actually part of my name. But since I am selling a lot of Japanese kimono fabric button earrings so I decided to jumble the alphabet and make it sound like a Japanese store.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Nice to read the stories behind everyone's shop. Also funny that the TS was called Sassafras. In The Netherlands, Sassefras can be used as a nickname for someone with the name 'Saskia'!

The name of my shop, MINTMOD derives from the words MINT and MOD. MINT stands for a pre-owned item in perfect condition (something I always thrive to offer). MOD is a subculture of the 1960's. This subculture is characterized by a smart stylish appearance, mini dresses, and modernistic lifestyle. One of the greatest moments of fashion in my opinion :-))

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Derived from my love of cats and the Dr. Seuss character, Kathat has been a part of my life for more than 20 years. It is a simpler version of "CatInTheHat." In addition, "cat in the hat" and other variations were, or soon would be, taken.

As my first name begins with "k," I swapped out the "c" in the word "cat" and Kathat was born.

When I first opened my Etsy shop, I had intended to create and sell original watercolors, hence, the addition of "Kreations" as part of the name - again swapping out the "c" for a "k."

Life, however, then sent me in another direction. There was a stockpile of vintage items that belonged to my mother and grandmother that all needed to find a new home. I was delighted to find the format here easy to manage.

The fulfillment of the "Kreations" part of the name has yet to be...
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

As cheesy as it might sound, "love" was always a huge part of my purpose in life as a mother, wife, nurse, etc. So I wanted a name for my company that would express what lies behind my work. It sort of comes from cooking a new meal & my family asks "what's in this? I can't quite place it?" I always say "Oh that's love."

So I involved my (now) 12 year old in the start of my business. I was playing with names and he said "You make it with love. Loving Melts." Haha we had a good laugh about the thought of scent being released into a home and also "love" for other peoples' homes from ours. I really liked the idea, so I kept it and made him an honorary manager 💜

LovingMelts.etsy.com
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

"Samvydav" - it's ukrainian name of russian "samizdat", which means underground handmade publishing, the secret publication and distribution of government-banned literature and art. Me and my boyfriend are publishers and we like printing in a lot of ways, so we named our shop Samvydav.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

such an interesting stories above :)

story of mine goes like this...
many years ago...15or more, Penny Lane was my nickname i was using for forums and stuf as username.since i am the beatles fan. and when i was opening gmail acount i wanted to use that nick instead of my real name. cause it was taken, gmail offered me alternatives of which Pennylaneator was my favourite.idk why actually...but better than that random numbers. its there for 10+ yrs and im kinda used to it now.
almost all of my friends still call me Penny :)
0 Likes

Fun thread!

A once very close friend criticized me for being like a dragonfly, flitting around and not sticking to any one thing. After many tears and glasses of wine, lol, I thought about how dragonflies flit about like they're exploring wondrous things, returning again and again to the same rest stops along their circuitous paths. I can sit by a stream or a lake and become totally absorbed by their flight.

So I thought okay, that's not such a bad thing is it?! So I named my shop Dragonfly Heart Eclectic Jewelry, updated to Dragonfly Heart Jewelry Boutique.

Big problem: I fear shoppers might think all I have to offer is dragonfly jewelry, which isn't the case!

0 Likes
jtbmetaldesigns
Inspiration Seeker

Simple...JTB are my initials and my designs are made of metal
0 Likes

Hi I am Virna,
And I love cardboard !!!
The more I go on the more I am excited!
I like to do so many things and my shop looks like a shop where there is everything (made of cardboard) I liked to keep an Italian identity so I decided to keep the Italian name: Bottega di cartone: cardboard shop.

The cardboard represents me because it is creative, delicate, versatile, recyclable, resilient,
Like me!!!

Come and see what can be done with the cardboard: D
0 Likes

Hello,

My shop s name is Ethnic Silver Jewelry.
the name is quite simple, as at that time i red on etsy i had to give a name that would immediately relate to the items i sell.
after 2 years, i do think i would like to have some mofe interesting name and i have 2 names in my mind. Both are more evocative of the mystic and spiritual worlds of the andes.
this means i will have to change my etsy shop name, my fb funpage, my instagram...but i know it will be a good bet.
ciao, barbara
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.