Hi teammates,

You guys have some super creative shop names that I love, but I often find myself wondering what the story behind them is. What do you like about your shop name? How does it relate to your business? Is there a funny anecdote behind it? Is it a pun? Is it a tribute to someone special to you? Did you have a different name before switching to your current one? How do you think customers interpret your name?

I'll go first. I got the name Sassafras from a good friend of mine who always called me Sassafras when I said anything that was a little snarky. I also have a passion for botany, so a plant name just felt like a perfect fit for me.

Now it's your turn. Share your stories and thoughts in this thread!
ClareBearPrints
Inspiration Seeker

Re: What's the story behind your shop name?

My shop name is Clare And Collie and Clare is my middle name and my best friend in the world is my beautiful Border Collie, who loves to sit next to me while I am working. She doesn't do much, but she does offer warmth for my feet when it's cold:).
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

I was looking for a way to make a difference.

Our National Forests host 170 million visits every year.
These lands are the foundation of America’s outdoor recreation heritage and sustain our way of life. They provide water to 123 million Americans in 3,400 communities, clean our air, store carbon, and provide timber, minerals, oil and gas and other resources for industry and communities.

🎄SO I PLANT TREES🎄
0 Likes

After closing the door on their previous lives as a buyer for a department store and an accountant, busy moms Elyse and Mara found themselves spending their few precious free moments exploring New York City’s jewelry district, experimenting with stones, beads and macramé. The project started as more of a pursuit of happiness for the two women, but when friends, family and even strangers continually expressed their love for the pieces the friends were creating, they decided why not spread the joy? Ellie Madison selects the finest stones and makes them into pieces that not only reflect their natural beauty, but enhance it. You’ll know when you’re wearing Ellie Madison because you’ll feel happy.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi my name is Karen when I was younger , i loved the song Leather and Lace , by Stevie Nicks i would craft and say if i ever had a store i would name it that .. Needless to say almost 20 years later that name wasn't available but after thinking of the past years Grace with Lace Co. was it..
A personal struggle of ups and downs. A different time now..children, career husband a full busy life that we always say Grace!! So to struggle isn't new to me, I will make this company something of a Dream come true!!! Come check out our Place at Grace with Lace Co. ;)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I love making beaded jewelry. I figured it was perfect to just turn my last name (Beesley) into Beedsley. Kind of corny, but my kids liked it, so it stuck!
0 Likes

8th grade - salt map project; I picked Czechoslovakia.
In addition to creating a salt map, we had to learn about the customs, the culture, etc... I learned about the "gypsy" Bohemian people and instantly fell in love with their wanderlust, free spirited ways. And it stuck. I haven't been in 8th grade for many, many moons but I never recovered from my introduction to those wanderlust ways - so my shop is called "Gypsy General Store"... pop on over for a visit!
0 Likes
ASHWoodshops
Inspiration Seeker

my woodshop, my name. My full name is Alan Scott Huey, and initials ASH. I have had multiple shops, so when I wanted to start my business I first called it ASH's woodshop, but it evolved by the time I joined Etsy to ASHWoodshops
0 Likes

Hi, I wish I had a real exciting story about how my shop name came together! I took up crochet again whilst pregnant, during maternity leave I decided to try and sell some of my crochet makes. To crochet you use a hook, hence 'hooky' the play on the word 'hook'. I always knew I'd venture into other areas so added crafts. Simple really.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I have been doing Crafts since like forever. And I have always loved the song Leather and Lace by Stevie Nicks from Fleetwood Mac. And then when I found out it was about her dad, I said one day if i ever open a store that is what I would name it. Well when getting ready to own a domain name that name was taken of course, so I thought of my journey of life my life and it popped..Grace with Lace Co.~ I am still new to etsy and I love everyone's work I hope to be like most of you one day with your success.. Grace with Lace Co. xoxo Karen
0 Likes

I have collected jewelry for a long time, but when we moved from our home to our RV, full time, I decided to sell the largest part of my collection (no room in the RV), however, I could not give up the "hunt" - there is no greater fun than going out to seek jewelry. As I was considering a shop name for Etsy, laying in my bed in the RV, I was thinking how much fun I had that day "seeking jewelry" to either add to my collection or to sell. All of a sudden, I jumped out of bed, ran to my computer signed in on Etsy and checked to see if any shop had used "TheJewelSeeker" as a shop name. Nope....It was mine - "TheJewelSeeker, seeking to add sparkle to your life"! Thats what we do! That's who we are! So, we don't travel as much as we did 5 years ago, or even 3, but we still seek jewelry for our vintage jewelry buyers!
0 Likes
StitchyWooWoo
Inspiration Seeker

My name always bring a smile to people when I tell them its StitchyWooWoo.
We have always had dogs and every one of them has been special but Stitch was sadly with us for a short time and will never be forgotten. He got called Stitch because as I was stitching at the sewing machine he was always pinching bits of my work that I was making for my Masters degree! He was often called StitchyWooWoo so that became my business name.
0 Likes

I picked my name for my shop artfulofexpression, because I paint with expression. Which is really a reflection of myself, and what I love most. Painting ,creating beautiful works of art. Art that I design myself from beauty I see everyday. I am not bragging mind you art is really in the eye of the beholder.
0 Likes

Ayana = Beutiful Flower (in somalian)
0 Likes
peblsrock
Inspiration Seeker

Hi. My shops share the name Pebls. I have PeblsRock which was my original business name on eBay, years ago, when my partner and I used to refurb and customise Motorola Pebl phones (remember them!) and when i started selling sea glass on the same account, the name stuck as people thought that Pebls was a pretty cool term for sea glass, and they Rock.

So from there, I've opened a second store, PeblsArt, also on etsy, which is where i keep my sea glass art and photography,
Three years ago I ran a sea glass festival, on board HMS Trincomalee, and that was PeblsBeach.
Now I have decided to self publish a series of books about Mermaids Tears featuring mermaids, a pirate, and of course Seaham Beach. My partner is doing most of the DTP and organising publishing so we're doing that project under the PeblsBooks brand.
The branding has worked so well i acquired the Peblsrock.uk URL to use with my etsy store as it's easier to impart by word of mouth.
The only thing I haven't used Pebls on is kickstarter.link which is the URL to my Kickstarter, do take a look if you get a moment.
0 Likes

Creator of inspiring needle felting kits and felt creations. Lover of Yorkshire tea and all things wooly...

Why 'Lincolnshire Fenn Crafts'?
Well that's easy: I live in rural Lincolnshire with my family and we love the Fens. It's where my daughter and I have spent many days exploring the surrounding countryside, villages and wildlife. She's a teenager now but it's still one of our favourite places to visit, so the name seemed...right.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

My company is named in honor of my mother a very talented fiber artist and craftswoman who instilled in me the love of all things handmade. FloDo stands for Florence's Daughter.
0 Likes
glorikami
Inspiration Seeker

My Glorikami studio sells handcrafted jewelry inspired by the ancient Japanese art of origami (folded paper).

The name Glorikami itself is a mix between “glory”, and the Japanese word “kami” which has many meanings. When read together, it refers to the glory of the gods, and is a clever pun on the word “origami” too.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I love reading these stories! My shop name is pretty straightforward. I love anything that has to do with nature and the gifts it has given us - the more natural and pure, the better!
0 Likes

My shop is TheYarnJar shop here in etsy. I have always loved knitting and dying yarns, I would spend so much money that my husband suggested I put all my spare change in a jar and that when I had a good amount I'd use it to make a big purchase. Instead is buying a few skeins I really added a lot by selling socks to teachers, friends and others and by doing this we decided to start a business with the funds. We couldn't think of a name, and I was just being sarcastic when I said "Well I'll just name it the yarn jar then, that's where I'm at." It turned out to be a great idea and hence the Yarn Jar was born!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

My Shop is named after my two cats that I raised from kittens. Fussie because she fussed all the time when I first got her 14 years ago. Sadly she died of cancer last year and panda who is black and white like a panda. There you have it "Fussiepanda".
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

my shop name grannyblanketsshop
i am a granny to 2 grandchildren and 1 one the way december i permently crochet granny squares, im recovering from 2 heart attacks on 45 tablets a day, crochet is my meditation relaxing me all problems go away for a while and i hate hate with a passion going out, so i decided to open my etsy shop but im supper stressed with it, im no good with words at all some one told me to do a logo becouse my work is beautiful making it looks profesional an im lost i just dont know how and where to start beside all that etsy is my communication with the world and im just not used to people saying nice words about my blankets im loving it
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

my shop name grannyblanketsshop
i am a granny to 2 grandchildren and 1 one the way december i permently crochet granny squares, im recovering from 2 heart attacks on 45 tablets a day, crochet is my meditation relaxing me all problems go away for a while and i hate hate with a passion going out, so i decided to open my etsy shop but im supper stressed with it, im no good with words at all some one told me to do a logo becouse my work is beautiful making it looks profesional an im lost i just dont know how and where to start beside all that etsy is my communication with the world and im just not used to people saying nice words about my blankets im loving it
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi, everyone!
Well, I think it just popped in my head and I thought that is an easy and simple shop name. As my shop is about biological, natural and healthy products (more specifically - tea, honey and bee bread pastilles) I was thinking that one common thing could be something with bees. Developing the idea further, I started to think what I am, what my grandmother is, what are the people around me who help and also have joined my shop and how we all are doing things together. I know that they are unique personalities with amazing ideas and just very nice friends, and then I realized that until now we have succeeded because of doing and not giving up. That is how I combined these two simple and obvious words together - Diligent Bees. I like it, hope You too :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

When I was trying to find the perfect name for my label I was looking for something that sounds nice, is easy to pronounce and to remember.
I came up with " Blue Alma Knits". Blue is my favorite color, deep and enduring. And Alma is the name of my little furry companion (you can see her in some of my listing photos).
I make handmade knit accessories... Feel free to check it out and let me know your thoughts!
0 Likes
AdasAtticVintage
Inspiration Seeker

Hi Everyone,

I have really loved reading through this post and hearing about how people have come up with their shop names =D

Mine isn't funny more random I would say but hear i go. My lovely weird and wonderful Mum would try ANYTHING to get my sister and I out of bed in the morning for school so would come up with random names, Ada being one of them, she would say come quick a new cat Ada has turned up on the doorstep! We never believed her and happily slept on. One day a cat actually did turn up on the doorstep, but he was a boy so was named Billy which is actually a very normal name for a cat I think haha.

When I started Ada's Attic Vintage I never really thought that I could do it so randomly came up with Ada, because of my mum, Attic because that's where old things are found??? and vintage because I sell vintage! Unstandable everyone thinks that I am Ada and not Rachael! I have considered changing my business name but think that it would be to much work and it does always make me chuckle when i think or say it.

xxx
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.