Hi teammates,

You guys have some super creative shop names that I love, but I often find myself wondering what the story behind them is. What do you like about your shop name? How does it relate to your business? Is there a funny anecdote behind it? Is it a pun? Is it a tribute to someone special to you? Did you have a different name before switching to your current one? How do you think customers interpret your name?

I'll go first. I got the name Sassafras from a good friend of mine who always called me Sassafras when I said anything that was a little snarky. I also have a passion for botany, so a plant name just felt like a perfect fit for me.

Now it's your turn. Share your stories and thoughts in this thread!

Re: What's the story behind your shop name?

Hi. My shop is the initial of my name V and F and " illustration" means I want to illustrate a way of living that is cozy and happy which everyone deserve. My inspiration always comes from the fundamental need of humanity. What is the simplest way to decorate your living space that can bring you comfort and the feeling of home.

Thank you so much!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

Loved reading these! My shop name is love and shelter. I chose this name because I make hand illustrated and painted wedding invitations so that's where the part 'love' came in. The second part 'shelter' came because I volunteer at my local animal shelter and donate 10% of profits to it. Plus coincidentally my name initials are LS just like the initials of Love + Shelter would be LS
0 Likes
wildisla
Inspiration Seeker

I'm very uncreative with my shop name, it's literally my name. Great seeing other peoples stories though, it may inspire me to get a better name for my shop!
0 Likes

I create jewelry that I wouldn't necessarily consider Steampunk or fantasy but somewhere in between. I had a really hard time naming my shop and its the one thing that kept me from creating my page on Facebook and opening up my shop on Etsy! After about 3 months of toggling different ideas and using shameless generators I knew one thing. I wanted to have Steamshop in the name but I did not want to be misleading! I didn't want people to assume I only made Steampunk jewelry or what could be considered as such. This is how it happened! I was lying on my bed frustrated and very annoyed when my fiancee asked me what was wrong I explained my situation and he replied in a very british accent "Elemental my dear Kiracat(his pet name for me)! And it clicked! Elemental Steamshop and it has been thus since that day!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

So fun to hear the creative process behind your shop names. This atmosphere of community and sharing is one of the many things I love about this beautiful place called Etsy.

My shop name came by way of a conversation at a charity project I worked on years ago. A friend said to her adorable grandaughter, "Did someone tip your giggle box?" The southern gem of a phrase intrigued me ever since.

Thanks, Tess, for encouraging me to share that as it can go into the about section of my shop I'm working hard on right now.

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi, I'm Sabrina, Designer + Owner of Francisca & Dominique, along with my sister, Selma.
My sister and I always wanted to do something together and so we used both of our middle names to generate the name of the brand.
We usually come up with vibrant and dynamic designs primarily meant for summer.

https://www.etsy.com/in-en/shop/FranciscaNDominique?ref=hdr_shop_menu
0 Likes

Sabrina, I love the maxi dress! Cute shop.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

We chose PlethoraGifts because we love the word plethora! Has anyone seen the movie The Three Amigos? Google plethora and the movie name on you tube and you'll see this hilarious scene. It means superabundance. And we figure that we didn't want to be limited by a shop name so we could expand and create without boundaries! We're hoping people get that idea. Although it seems like we're doing a spelling quizz everytime we say the word....English teachers love the word. Plethora! Just makes us smile saying it!
0 Likes

Like many of you, I'm obsessed with working from home and have tried it all! I've had some successes in different areas, but Etsy keeps pulling me back. I have so much fun here and I learn something new each and every day on this site.
Everyone is in a good mood on Etsy! (have you ever noticed that?)
So, I wanted a super cool name for my shop, one that could stand the test of time. One day I was reading an article about Gwen Stefani, who is a hero of mine...strong, cool, unique and blazes trails. The article mentioned that she had been seen buying jeans in a store called, "Planet Funk", and I thought....COOL NAME! Of course I couldn't copy the name directly, but be inspired...you bet! So, after playing with an online thesaurus, I came up with Sassy Planet. I felt this suited my personality and rolled with it.
Having said that, Etsy was not the first place I used this name, in fact I started Sassyplanet.com as a reseller for makeup airbrush supplies. Like every other entrepreneur, I had to try many, many avenues before I found my true passion which then lead to Etsy.
I've changed my inventory many times over the years and am now super happy to be totally digital! In a world of instant gratification, it only makes sense to offer what people want most and I've learned soooo much in this process. I'm absolutely elated with where Sassy Planet has arrived!
Enjoy, and be sure to check out my blog at SassyPlanet.com.
0 Likes

My design studio name is Oitenta (meaning eighty in my hometown language, which is the year I was born) that was the name I wanted to use but it was taken so I thought the one I´m using becasue it reflects what I do and where I come from :)
0 Likes

Just joined the forum and this discussion caught my eye. I"ve read so many things about promoting your Etsy shop, and many of the suggestions include choosing a name that expresses to buyers what you sell. I did not do that when selecting my name and have been occasionally concerned. In the end, I really find that I chose the name because my shop is about what I do and is very personal to me.

My youngest daughter was born with an extra chromosome on set 21 (Down syndrome). I've found that it hasn't been a limit for her or our family but an extra blessing. She is the sweetest little girl ever.

I make gifts that I hope will bless someone special so the name really fits, I think!

I"ve enjoyed reading how others have come up with their names. I love it that people are creative with them (even those who say they aren't creative, your on Etsy, you must be creative!).

Thanks for asking the question!
0 Likes

I am a Ballerina in NYC! My mother and I have been making organic skincare forever with essential oils, herbs and flowers… so Ballerina Botanicals just fit perfectly. Plus it rhymes, so that was fun!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

My store is called easypatchwork, because sewing is very easy! Sometimes I forget to have Breakfast or to pick up daughter from school, because I sew! I love to sew, and sew easy!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

My Store is named after my Partners username - simple but it works well, except when people think its him doing all the work grrr lol
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi guys, I'm new to the team! My full business name is Wonderland Graphic Design (shortened for etsy shop purposes).

I've always been an imaginative person; as a child I could entertain myself for hours playing in imaginary worlds. I also love pretty things! So, when it came to coming up with a name, I wanted something that embodied creativity, femininity, prettiness and the whimsical. And thus Wonderland Graphic Design was born!

xx
0 Likes

I started my Etsy shop after a particular rough time of adjusting to my youngest child moving out of the house. Even though I was proud, it broke my heart and I struggled with a bit of identity loss - who was I now that my daughter was leaving home and starting her own life? The thought of looking at her empty bedroom would bring and immediate flood of tears.

I am a family historian and I love making albums to showcase my work. I decided to set up a craft room in her room where I could create and restore. With that thought in mind I decided that like the butterfly, I would change and grow in to a different role from the one that I was accustomed too.

Since I upcycle materials to make my albums, Green Butterfly seemed like the natural choice.

Since that time, my little shop has helped me through several life changes including my husband's job loss after 32 years and his eventual retirement as well as working through several health issues including being diagnosed with Lupus and Diabetes. The good news is my "Green Butterfly" self has been steadily getting healthier and I have successfully have lost 50 lbs. Yeah...I think that "Green Butterfly" has been a perfect name for me <smile>
0 Likes

My Shop name is has simple thought of Indian Kala (art) 4 u , the art is handicraft stuff made by traditional indian way, you would only find them in India .
The tag line says it all Heart-n-art of India .

Just launching new 2016 collection in handwork Chikan at attractive prices

If you like it , just fav my shop !!!
0 Likes
artocrat
Inspiration Seeker

I'm trying to make custom, fine art accessible to everyone - a democracy of art.

People in this democracy of art are called "artocrats" - that's where "artocrat" comes from, and it's what I call all of my clients :)

Awesome stories everyone!
0 Likes

Word POCIECHA means Solace. For me solace is my work. I love to create my jewelry. I am a jewelry addict :) Pociecha it's also my surname :)
0 Likes

I used to be a social worker- I worked for a prevention of child abuse program. I used to provide parent education to high risk families. From newborn babies through age five. I noticed that families just didn't spend quality time with their children reading much. Busy single parents had little time left in a day. So when I left my job 3 years ago I started story book earrings. I thought writing a short story or a fact to go with the earring or hair clips I created would give parents a opportunity to bond with their child. Out came- story book earrings!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

My shop name... ShakingFifty... Came to me at a table discussion with friends when I said I wanted to start something new after I turned 50 years old. I thought I'd shake things up a bit... I did by opening an etsy shop.
0 Likes
sanketi
Post Crafter

Hi ..just joined this team and thought there was no better way to introduce myself then to share a bit about me and my shop!

My shop name is... Sanketi..

it's the dialect that we speak which is heavily influenced by sanskrit. We are a very small community that speak this language and I have always been extremely proud of it's uniqueness and even though english has taken over my daily life, I make an effort to speak it from time to time and named my little shop the same, just to keep me connected to my roots!
0 Likes

What a fun thread.. Nice to learn about everyone's shop name.
My shop ChezVies is from my love of French language (chez) and Vies is from my nick name (vivi), it suppose to mean At Vivi's place. I started with a blog back in 2007 and that name stuck.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.