Hi teammates,

You guys have some super creative shop names that I love, but I often find myself wondering what the story behind them is. What do you like about your shop name? How does it relate to your business? Is there a funny anecdote behind it? Is it a pun? Is it a tribute to someone special to you? Did you have a different name before switching to your current one? How do you think customers interpret your name?

I'll go first. I got the name Sassafras from a good friend of mine who always called me Sassafras when I said anything that was a little snarky. I also have a passion for botany, so a plant name just felt like a perfect fit for me.

Now it's your turn. Share your stories and thoughts in this thread!

Re: What's the story behind your shop name?

Corny as the name sounds, I've kept the name my youngest brother gave me. I left for college the year Danny entered junior high. His print shop class assignment was to create a pad of paper with a business title at the head of each page. He knew how I used to love to draw, paint & sculpt with anything I could get my hands on.
"Faith Ann Originals" appeared atop each sheet. Mom said he told her it was for Faith 'to make notes or take orders'.
Over 40 years later, I still have that little pad of paper ♥
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

Hello!
I moved to Alaska and during the first two years I was exposed to the renting world. I found I was so limited to decorating and most Landlords do not want a lot on holes in their walls. Thankfully we were able to find a house. But there are areas where I don't want a lot of nails, and I do love changing things up a lot, and not having things in the same area. I wanted a way to decorate and not have to use nails, hooks or permanent adhesives..... I just didn't want to commit to one area. With a little experimenting and patience I came up art that you do no to commit to one area, that can be moved around as often as you want and you can leave it up as long as you want. I now have art that you do not have to commit to and there's no damage to where ever you place it..... therefore, I know have "Art of No Commitment."
I am committed to art that you don't have to commit to where you place it.

I still love painting my chalkboards and stretched canvas! but I still love my art of no commitment too!
0 Likes

It was a very hard thing to do: to find the right name for my shop. I wanted to have a name that explained what i sell. I also wanted to be easy to remember. And that was "language friendly" in both English and Spanish. To my surprise, Arte Otomi was not taken! :)

Otomi art is worldwide known, and it has been the inspiration for many international fashion and interior designers. So, it was a no brainer that my shop contain that magical word: Otomi.

I am a passionate admirerer of the otimi culture, and just love to own a shop that proudly is named "Otomi" :)

Gracias,

Martha
0 Likes

Indigo and Amber are my daughters names. 👩‍❤️‍👩
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I was thinking so much to find a perfect name for my shop :) Just so many names were going through my mind! I though name has to have word "Dog" or "Dogs" in it and than I combined words with it... design,collection... and somehow i found Choice and I so much liked it! :)
0 Likes
Pickamoon
Inspiration Seeker

Happy Marker was my graduation project. I love to draw happy and cute things, so I tried to find something connected with them. I drew on everywhere (like curtains, jars, stones..etc) with my permanent marker. Then i thought it could be Happy Marker :)
0 Likes
JUDtlv
Post Crafter

A person i once met, skinny fit, tall & energetic, tight ponytail deep voice...
I remember i couldn't tell if its a boy or a girl... course then i realized it was ''she'', but i came to know i liked the fact she was both for few seconds in my head.
Her name was JUD she was an a Brazilian girl adopted by a Israelis, and she gave me the since which fro that moment i wished for my brand, i wanted each design to look and feel; beautiful, smart, sportive and unisex.
I have added the TLV for location purpose.
0 Likes

My personality at parties :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

My shop name is combination of my grandmothers name.
Elisabeta is mom from my dam and Gabreilla is my moms mom. I shortened it and here it is ElisaGabi :D
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

My shop name is after my first and middle name. But I think I want to change it.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Just my name.. :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

My shop name is kandl628. The "kandl" part is a composition of mine and my husband's first initials, K for Kevin and L for Laura. We just put "and" in between and got kandl when we were dating and playing trivia games in restaurants like TGI Fridays. The 628 is a special date because that was the date we first kissed. Beyond that, I had an epiphany many years ago where I envisioned an entirely finished company name complete with font, fill, and angles. The name was Wax Eloquent and the block letters of the word Wax were filled with a bee hive-looking fill and the Eloquent part was scripted and slanted. I've always like candles, so both of these are still relevant to me even today. The term "wax eloquent" means to speak eloquently at an increasing pace.

That's my story. Thanks for reading. :-)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

It took me forever to come up with a name. It was a couple years after my Grandmother passed - the one that always inspired me and was weird like me. :) After she passed, many of my aunts and uncles would always say "Ok, Millie" when I did something that reminded them of her. Most of my creations are also inspired by her - repurposing because she taught me many things could have a second life.
0 Likes
towno
Post Crafter

town-o is my shop name, after the chorus of a song called the fox. there are many versions, but the one my family loves the best is the waco brothers version on bloodshot records. it's wonderful!
0 Likes

When I was in grad school (Psychology) and I had to write a paper on something personal, such as relationships or sexuality, I found writing was more fun if I channeled the not quite fictional Mimsy Borogrove, instead of Sarah Stone - my real name. Mimsy was a lot like me, but a bit smarter, wilder and funnier than me!

I got the name from a poem, the Jabberwocky by Lewis Caroll who wrote Alice in Wonderland. Here's the first verse:

'Twas Brillig and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimbel in the wabe
All mimsy were the borogoves
And the nome raths outgabe.

Thanks mom for raising me on a diet of nonsense verse!

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Stop4Design ... place to stop by and choose variety of items to find designs for your own home, room, bedroom, office ... using our products ...

Margot
0 Likes

The history of my shop name comes from a funny situation. My boyfriend once laughed at me when one evening I did terribly complicated bag with buttons , the whole was trimmed with small button - hard work :) At the same time I collected money for my first car which then dreamed of - Lancia Ypsilon . That's when I told him I earn myself with this car and he will be awkward :) Well, it was : D
0 Likes

This is a great thread in my opinion, and we should put this little story in about our shop section :)
Before I opened my shop I had different names in my mind, but they weren't such I would love. I live in Latvia, Baltic states, and I wanted the shop name could be somehow connected to my location. I though that if the name boutique comes from French, how it will sound Baltic Boutique together. Sounds nice! This is how the shop name appeared some months before I opened it.
0 Likes
shmukies
Inspiration Seeker

The meaning of the name shmukies is jewelry, and it's a word we created from the german word "schmuck" which means jewelry, and "ies" which is a plural form ending in english. it sounds right and fun and it has nothing to do with the word shmuk:)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

"That's outrageous". Is my favourite descriptive phrase. And I think little girls are outrageously cute in all my creations..... Unfortunately I don't think it points to the kind of items I create but the phrase is me so I'm sticking with it😀
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I just love reading these stories!
I had always thought that, if I opened an antique or vintage shop, I would call it "Auntie Q's" (a play on antiques) but when I started my Etsy shop registration I found that several versions of this were already taken. Since I am of Dutch heritage I tried using 'Tante' which is 'aunt' in Dutch and what all my nieces and nephews call me. I liked the way it sounded with 'Q'. Now my friends call me Tante Q!
0 Likes
lucyssoap
Inspiration Seeker

Lucy's Soap is named in honor of my Great-Grandma Lucy. She was my inspiration to be a farmer.
0 Likes

my story is romantic when I was in the process of creating my business I was in love and his name was leon- abriviation VL_Vera Leon it occured. studio is the place where new models are born/ and then- love melted..but the title remained as the memory of the former love
0 Likes
marinaasta
Inspiration Seeker

Hello everyone! Such a interesting stories behind the shop names I read here.

Its take me a time to name my shop. Back in 2009.
MARINAASTA the combination of my first name Marina and last name Astafyeva.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I agree it so hard to find a name, I changed mine from Lynn's Homespun Country to Burlap Roses An Lace. In my Name I am describing (I hope) my love of Burlap, I love making the burlap roses and I love Lace. I thought this tells my story of my love for Burlap. It is fun to hear how we come up with our Names.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.