Former_Member
Not applicable

Thank you notes

Hi Guys!
Just wanted to see what you all do for thank you notes when you send out packages.

I put them in every package that goes out. I am trying to think about what to do as my shop (hopefully) grows.

I've made a few thank you cards myself and they turned out pretty cute but they're time consuming (I made them look like bunting using fabric from my shop - so yeah they were a bit time consuming). Usually I purchase them from Walmart, etc.

I'm toying with the idea of purchasing a custom stamp (from an Etsy seller) and then buying a bunch of cardstock to make my own. Like with a die cut or something.

Curious as to what everyone else does.

Thanks!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
25 Replies

Re: Thank you notes

I purchased bulk, fun card stock from hobby lobby when I first opened shop (will purchase them from another Etsian once those run out!) and use all types of fun, customized stamps that I have (I've also seen quite a few fun ones online here!).

I just fold it up on my own & decorate it however I wish! Sometimes using leftover fabric scraps from their own order to make matching bows & such to wrap it up with!

Each thank you card is different and handwritten. It is quite time consuming once I take into account how long it takes me to package each order & then hand write a note, but I think that has been one of the elements that has given me so many return shoppers :)

I think you should absolutely purchase your own custom stamp! I think it adds a nice personal, handmade touch that is so lovely to receive!
0 Likes

I adore your fabric prints, by the way! If you had stretchy knits, I'd be all over your shop in a heartbeat! :)
0 Likes

I've reached a point that I don't have time for notes/cards. At Christmas I typically use an inexpensive Christmas card and just add a "Thank You" and my name. The rest of the year, I only send a business card with purchase. (My ornaments all come packaged in a colorful gift box and tied with ribbon...so maybe that makes up for the lack of a note!)

If you have the time and which to do so, a note or a custom stamp is a nice touch.
0 Likes

I always include a handwritten thank you note and a business card. The thank you often includes washing instructions so people know how to care for their handmade garments.

I usually buy thank you notes from Hobby Lobby when their wedding stuff is 50% off. They have pretty classic looking thank you notes in 50 packs that are normally $9.99, so half off it's in my target price of 10 cents a card. I'm going through 1-2 boxes a month these days, so budget and easy access is important.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for the input! I favorited a ton of stamps on etsy tonight. I'm thinking about getting something fun to stamp on the outside of packages and one to make a card with.

Ashley - thank you for your input and for liking my prints. Your shop is doing amazingly. . Your headbands and turbans are awesome and your listing are very cleverly written. Your thank you cards sound amazing, too

Kelly - sounds like you take care packaging your ornaments - sounds beautiful.

Joanne - good to know about Hobby Lobby. Ill have to keep an eye out there. I think now I'm spending about .30 a card but they really do start adding up!

0 Likes
maydaylabels
Conversation Maker

Once you reach a certain amount of volume handwritten notes become impractical. I'd have to set aside an hour a day!

What I do is have moo mini cards printed that have a thank you and coupon code on the back of each card. A stamp would be cool too :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I hand write care instructions for my quilts on a pretty card, because doing things by hand fits in with my brand. It also doesn't add much more time to the overall packaging process.

I don't do stamping because 1. That's not in my skill set and 2. I wouldn't know how to calculate my time. Ask yourself: Is it business-related, or relaxation for fun? If it's for business, am I charging enough for my item to cover the additional time spent on an item that the customer didn't order?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I always print up the receipt and hand write a thank you at the bottom. I also include a 10% off coupon and a business card with every shipment.
0 Likes

I ordered round stickers with "Thank You" superimposed over my shop logo from VistaPrint. I fold each receipt and use a sticker on it. I also use my thank you stickers on smaller items, which I wrap with Kraft tissue paper and a pink ribbon.
0 Likes
HoneyThistle
Inspiration Seeker

I drew my own thank you card on my computer and print it on thick cardstock. They're more like postcards really, in that they don't fold over which helps save time. I can print 4 cards on each piece of 8 1/2 x 11 cardstock, and write my note on the back :)
0 Likes

I usually do like Barbara, on each receipt I hand write thank you, and I also have little round tags on the front they say "Handmade With Care by Koolnecks Accessories! Laugh, Love & Dream" (my little slogan) and on the back it is blank so I use that for a handwritten thank you note to each customer, they also double as tags for a free gift that I may include to my customers. I have mini moo business cards and I include one in each order as well.
0 Likes

I must say I love the little extras I think it makes each order so special and I am always appreciative to each and every customer of mine so I try to convey that to them!!
0 Likes
LeedsRadio
Inspiration Seeker

I always send sheet has a vintage ad and contact information and web addresses. If the order is good or I really liked dealing with the person, I write a hand written thank you.
If it's a really, really good order I send them a photo of the shop or a repro of the page of when my store was in The New York Times
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Sara - Those mini moo cards sound really good. I'll definitely keep them in mind for the future.

Tanya - That's great about writing the washing instructions on your cards for the quilts. The cards I was making were taking too much time - they were fun and I enjoyed making them . it was good for advertising since they were made from fabric that was in my store - kind of like mini swatches. But lately I've been struggling to get inventory listed and all of the other tings so I haven't had time.

Barbara and Anne - Great ideas to use the receipt. I like the sticker idea, too.

Wei - I'll bet your thank you notes look spectacular - I really like the style of your work. I never thought to see if any of the artist here have digital thank you card templates for business.

Sheena - Your ideas sound great too. Sounds like you spoil your customers :D I think thats one of the best things about buying from Etsy- most shop owners really do such a great job with presentation.

Richard - It sounds like the cards you send to your customers really relates well with your customer base and the things they would enjoy. Sounds like you have a good handle on your branding.
0 Likes

I always send a thank you note and card with orders. I love it
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I write a quick, tiny, thank you note on the back of my business card...It only takes a second and still adds a personal touch. I hope to really keep this going no matter how busy I eventually (hopefully!) get.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I used to send handwritten notes all the time, but - yeah - as another seller said once I reached a certain amount of sales it wasn't practical. I didn't have the time and my hand kept cramping up. What I do now is I have a word file saved with sort of a generic thank-you, description of how much their purchase means to me, coupon code information for any repeat business, my facebook and twitter info, and request for them to leave feedback if they are happy and contact me with any questions.

I write their name at the top and sign my name at the bottom. If we have had correspondence via convos or emails prior to the sale, I usually add a short note, and if the purchase is a gift and the buyer requests it I often include a handwritten message on a small notecard.
0 Likes

I usually write a small thank you message on the back of my business cards. Then I put that in the shipping envelopes. Short and sweet :)
0 Likes

I used to include small thank you card in all my orders. I used precut paper that I bought from an office supply store and a stamp that I purchased from a stamp shop here on Etsy.
0 Likes
BonitaBellita
Registered Buyer

I always include a little thank you note and a business card. My thank you notes are on mini-cards that are in my shop's theme colors of teal and white. For my supply shop, I use a kraft paper cut-out. While they are simple, I've had a lot of customers tell me how special they felt getting a hand-written thank you.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I send a thank you note when acknowledging the order and another written "thank you" when I ship the order!
0 Likes

I sell stamps so I hand-stamp a 4-bar card and write a quick thank you. It's very time-consuming, but worth it for me. Here's an example of my thank you note: https://instagram.com/p/zQYP-JwYna/
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

hi
I enclosed a thank you card with every order. I handwrite a message plus I give each customer a little thank you surprise. Something small and something that I have made. Great way to get rid of inventory that is not selling.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

With my business card, I include a business-card-sized piece of kraft cardstock. On the front, I handwrite "Thank you [Customer Name]!" On the back are printed the instructions for a return. I print these cards at home, but if volume increases, I'll let the pros print and cut them.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.