Sitcky Return Issues

If you (as a seller) agree to take back an item for a refund, as long as it is returned within a week (and in the same condition), what would you do if it came back later than that? Has anyone dealt with this? Is there a way to refund a partial amount - ie, charge a restocking fee?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
10 Replies

Re: Sitcky Return Issues

What is the cause of the item came back late? Were there delivery problems at the shipping company or has the buyer posted the item after a week? If the buyer can prove he or she posted the item within a week I would give a whole refund.
0 Likes
StuckOnSilver
Inspiration Seeker

A week isn't very long even for domestic transactions. I can certainly understand that you want the item back asap but IMO unless you have a policy that covers restocking fee for late returns, give a full refund.
0 Likes

Your policies state that items returned within a week of receiving it. Perhaps you should clarify whether that means "shipped by the customer within a week of receipt" or "received by you within a week of customer receipt."

In any event, I'd give a full refund. Since your shop policies don't mention a restocking fee, you can't implement it retroactively, but perhaps consider adding it for the future. Good luck!
0 Likes

It may take a customer a longer time to ship, since most people don't even know about printing up their own labels, etc. Finding a box, getting it to the post office, etc. may be things they don't do often, and it may take them more time than you think. I don't even think making it so urgent that they panic will be a good shopping experience. Ease of purchase and return should be prioritized. imho.
2 weeks to a month, maybe?
0 Likes

Hmmm, great input - thanks. As it turns out, it did come back; the label was printed more than a week later and not put in the mail until 3 days after that. Anne, you're right, I do need to clarify better, but I had decided to accept it if it had been put in the mail within a week, which it wasn't. Barbara, That's true, not everyone knows how to do that, but if you go to a Post Office and ask, i'ts not that hard. Most of you think I should issue a full refund - I feel like this customer took advantage of me in every direction. It was a custom made item using her art, and then she didn't like it. Would you feel the same way if you were the seller? Big business has trained people to just buy things and then return it. I guess I feel like I should stand my ground on this. Not sure yet.
0 Likes
ArgamanDesigns
Inspiration Seeker

Item returned incomplete without a scratch?
The idea is to stay creative and flowing with clients ..
"Good thinking, would be good"
0 Likes
StuckOnSilver
Inspiration Seeker

Carla, custom items are another kettle of fish. Credit cards don't automatically side with the customer and refund payments for items listed as custom items. Can you sell it again? Did you have "Custom" in the title? What do you have in your policies regarding custom items? Good luck!
0 Likes
HoneyThistle
Inspiration Seeker

Hi Carla,

If the item wasn't custom, then I would agree with everyone above. As long as the item is returned to me promptly (within 30 business days from purchase date... which given my shipping times, is just over a month from when they should receive it), then I will refund the price plus/minus shipping depending on the situation (i.e. if they made the mistake, I will not refund shipping but if it was my error, then I refund the whole amount).

However, given that this item is custom - I don't think any returns should be accepted at all. Not sure if you have this in your policy, but for me, custom items are not resalable to someone else so for that reason, I make sure to give the customer as clear of an image of what they're about to receive without committing much time making it yet until it's approved. If I do everything they asked for and approved, and they don't end up wanting it after getting it, then that is the only time I say 'tough beans' (but in better words haha).
0 Likes

The way I deal with these issues is to state on all orders, policies etc that they must contact me within 3 days of receiving it. Then if someone needs a return shipping label I offer to purchase it and deduct that from their return, so they can just print it. And I remind them of how long that label is good and they have to get that back to me.
We all write custom orders that state "no returns", but in the end we have to decide if we want to see bad review and try to rebut that, or give in. They are unreasonable, but so many other customers are sweet and thankful. I'm sorry you are dealing with one of the bad eggs!
0 Likes

I don't give refunds on custom orders unless the item was defective. Everyone knows, no matter where you shop, custom orders are final sale! I agree with you; this person is clearly taking advantage of you. I would emphatically state in my policies that since custom orders are specially made per the customer's specifications and can't be resold, they are final sale. You may have to eat this one, but you'll be better prepared for the future! The closer we get to the Holidays, the more difficult and unreasonable shoppers become, unfortunately. Good luck to all this holiday season!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.