Former_Member
Hey sellers!

Your shop policies on Etsy are the place to help buyers make informed purchase from your shop. They answer buyer questions, let customers know what to expect, and even go so far as helping to build trust and instill confidence in potential buyers.

As part of back to basics month, we’re shining the spotlight on this important area in your shop and we’re here to help! A few of us from the Seller Ed team will be in and out of this thread critiquing shop policies and we’d love your help. Post here if you’d like your shop policies critique’d and please join in and critique others!

In addition, if you’re interested in learning more about Shop Policies, tune in to a policies focused lab in Etsy’s Online Labs on Friday, April 20 at 3pm ET. RSVP to attend live here: http://www.etsy.com/community/online-labs

Ready, set, go!

Re: Shop Policy Critiques + You!

I would love a critique of my policies to make sure they're clear and contain everything a buyer needs to know. I often edit them, but I'm sure there's things I miss!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TinyTiptoesBoutique/policy
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

A critique would be much appreciated! Thanks so much!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/SnowFallStudio
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

If you have time to critique all of these requests, I would love one as well!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Bacobu/policy
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I'd like to participate as well.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/BillsWoodenPleasures/policy

Thanks.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I would love a critique on my policies! Thank you for this opportunity!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Stonetree- I LOVE your welcome message. Absolutely perfect – really inspires me to shop from you!

I do wonder why you don't offer exchanges? Is it because of the double shipping cost? I would consider offering exchanges instead/along with refunds! Might be worth the cost.

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I would love a critique on my policies, Thanks!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

oh yes please. I always struggle with what is too much or what is not enough info. would appreciate a critique
0 Likes
2TrickPony
Conversation Maker

I have a question.
shopping around etsy many times I see a message like so:

"it is the buyer's responsibility to pay for shipping insurance. if your item gets lost or damaged in the mail I will not replace it. By making this purchase you agree to my policy"

I made that up and it is not exactly anyone's policy, but I see many variants on this statement. this really turns me off when I am in shopping mode.
plus, from my limited understanding of the international and domestic internet sales shipping laws we do as sellers bear some responsibility. And pay pal, (and now etsy with DC) who takes our money does expect us to be responsible for delivering an item as shown.

wondering what etsy admin and others think about this.
thanks for a great discussion!
0 Likes
bluebirdluxe
Registered Buyer

I would love a critique of my policies! I'm still tweaking here and there and hoping the information is clear and inviting.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/bluebirdluxe/policy
0 Likes
SoulRole
Crafty Poster

This is a GREAT IDEA!!In addition,I would love suggestions on the best ways to get customers to actually READ our shop policies!I have links in every listing,customers get another link in their purchase invoice and yet it seems rare that anyone actually reads them.Mahalo :)

http://www.etsy.com/shop/SoulRole/policy
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I would love a critique!
0 Likes
SoulRole
Crafty Poster

Hi Rachel!
This is what my policy says:
I can not be held responsible if your order is lost in the mail(in the twenty years I have been shipping from Hawaii around the world not one package has been lost)or damaged en route.If you are concerned you may purchase insurance.Please contact me before you order for more information.

I just recently had my first damaged package and I did replace the item b/c it was one of my smaller things but if it had been a $130.00 dress I cannot afford that kind of loss.I try to be kind and keep an open mind about issues that arise but feel it is better to be realistic and up front with customers before so they know there options.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I could really do with some help with sales, I would love the opportunity for a overall honest, objective critque, no one has the heart to critique my shop at home!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

me too, thanks!
0 Likes
2TrickPony
Conversation Maker

Hi Nancy!!!!
I hope I'm not hijacking this thread in asking that question.

I know how you feel Nancy, and I make everything here one at a time too, and lost items, besides all of the stress and extra customer care - are not affordable. for any of us.

but the reason I ask is this seems a murky and confusing matter.
and pay pal, if they have handled the money, will pop the money right out of your bank account and side with the customer if you can't prove delivery.
0 Likes
SoulRole
Crafty Poster

Hey Rachel(uh oh..are we being bad girls?)I always use tracking so hopefully that would serve to prove delivery.If they disputed it I would definitely offer a refund but I guess my statement is supposed to be preemptive.
I would love to see what an admin would say(Danielle?? )
0 Likes

Please take a look at my policies as well :)
I'm a new UK-seller and so unsure about them, especially as I am still waiting for my first sale ...
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

GiggledPink, I recommend that you note your production time somewhere in your policies. You mention that you ship immediately after you complete an item, but a buyer might take that to mean you ship right away!

(Also, the lion hat . . . amazing.)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks, Nickey! I have that mentioned in the opening shop announcements, it never occurred to me to add that to my policies. doing it now! =)
0 Likes
WoolWench
Inspiration Seeker

Ok I have to admit it, my shop policies are the neglected back room of my shop! I would love to get some feedback on how I have done with them, I can honestly say I wrote them at the start and have never been back to look at them. Thats probably really bad right?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Suzy, I'm droooling over your shop! So beautiful! I often buy handspun yarn and batts and your policies answered any and all questions I usually have when making a purchase.

Off to look at more of your yarns... so pretty! I'm glad to have found your shop!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Ohh I love my policies critiqued! I really would love any opportunity to learn and improve my shop!

www.whitspeaks.etsy.com :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hey sunshineandvodka! As a potential buyer I'd like to see a bit more about your custom order process. I can see a bride wanting to gift their bridesmaids something custom from your shop (like your fabric wallets with a gift card inside - cute!) and I'd want to know an estimated turn around time and maybe even see a direct link to Convo you (like, https://www.etsy.com/conversations/new?with_id=15011751).
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hey SiameseTwists!

I like that you go into detail about what is in your products. As a consumer that is probably the first thing I'd look for. One thing you might want to clarify is your production and shipping time. You say everything is handmade to order, and that you ship three times a week, and that your post office ships only one day a week. I'd maybe consolidate this into one clear timeframe.

Hope this is helpful!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.