Former_Member
Not applicable

Photo backgrounds, what do you think?

I've just reopened my shop after a year, and I am now selling vintage silver. Photographing silver is a challenge all in itself (lighting is tricky). I have experimented with various colors of backgrounds, and would love to know what you think.

I realize that the Etsy look means white backgrounds, but I think silver looks better on color. I plan to choose one color and use it for all my listings.

Comments?

Thanks!!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
18 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Photo backgrounds, what do you think?

The whole etsy Look Must be white was 70% for treasuries to maybe get on the front page anyway.

Great photos that show off your product is the main goal, a nice looking shop in general is the second...a white background is down the line a bit not a mandatory.

Biggest tip I could give ya is to stop the flash stuff... take them outside. Natural light really is the way to go for this kinda stuffs.

Oh and I like the Blue best.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

If you're willing to invest a few bucks, maybe consider purchasing a kit for product photography. They're actually fairly economical, and come with backgrounds and lights. They're great for photographing smaller objects, and would help with reflections in the silver.

Just an example: http://www.henrys.com/12901-OPTEX-PHOTO-STUDIO-KIT-OSLKIT.aspx

In my personal opinion, though, I prefer seeing products arranged in a display instead of on a plain background. I think it gives the seller an idea of how they could incorporate certain items into their own home. For example, photographing the silver cake cutter with a cake and some plates, making it look like it's ready to serve.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks, Lauren: I've been thinking about doing just what you suggest. I think I'll go ahead and give it a try. Thanks again for the great advice!

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I look forward to seeing what you come up with. :)
0 Likes

And I prefer just the product, without any photo props! In the first picture, that is.
Even if just to make absolutely clear what it is you are selling.
You could add props in a second product picture.

I think both the deep blue and the deep red background work great for your photos.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thank you, BeaG! I'll keep experimenting. I appreciate you input.

0 Likes

I also think the deep blue and the deep red background work very well. Nice items.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks, Maria. I think I need to stick with one for the overall look of the shop. I'm going to redo my photos and see how it goes.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I'm trying to answer as a buyer here, and I've had a look at silver spoons across Etsy. Some effective photos I notice are closer or at a different angle not looking straight down on the item. and this might be worth experimenting with as they stood out for me. Also ones taken closer up.

I like the clarity of your items against the rich colour backgrounds. Perhaps if you have a cohesive look for most of them you can afford a few 'treasury friendly' shots - soft pearly grey seems to appear a lot, not just white?

Good luck with your new look, whatever you decide!
0 Likes

I would never feel the need to make my product pictures 'treasury friendly'.
I want them to be 'customer friendly'.

Treasury lists aren't as important as many Etsy sellers seem to think they are. I am in 632 treasury lists (that's just because I've been selling on Etsy since 2006), but don't get much traffic from them. Even if a treasury list makes it to the front page (very small chance, unless you show the same Etsy favorites over and over), it usually does not have a great impact on your sales.

PS: in case you looked: I started using snow white backgrounds way before Etsy's treasury system was launched. I think they work best for my small and colourful products.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I totally agree that the shop should have a cohesive look. Catherine, thanks for taking a look at silver, that's going the extra mile for sure!
BeaG, I tend to agree about treasuries. I had my shop open for two years and was included in treasuries, but I don't think I got much traffic or sales from them.
0 Likes

I like the solid colors. Like this:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/217994911/antique-silver-plate-dinner-forks?ref=shop_home_feat_4

Not the velvet. I bet if you use funky solid colors in your background, you can get on to some treasuries. :)

Raquel
www.raquelmanuela.com
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

You could build a light box to minimize reflections http://www.wikihow.com/Create-an-Inexpensive-Photography-Lightbox

Would cost you less than $50 in supplies (less if you already have the lamps) and improve our photos %100.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks, Raquel. I like the light blue, too. Melissa, I'm using a home made light box now. I think I'm going to try some different lights.
0 Likes

I like the gray background. I know it doesn't pop like the colors, but I think it goes well with the silver, and looks more professional.
0 Likes

I like the blue background the best. Good luck in your choice.
0 Likes
Drakestail
Inspiration Seeker

I prefer the taupe-grey background the best, for what it's worth. I think the neutral colour makes it easier to imagine the items in the buyer's kitchen - much teh same reason real estate agents suggest you paint your house white or very neutral before trying to sell it.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I would try and add some props or other cohesive items (maybe not for the first picture but) to help a buyer imagine the scale of the product. For example, you might use multiple items to make a pretty place setting so customers can imagine using it. Notice online clothing stores do this by putting an entire outfit on the model showcasing one piece so that skirt/shirt/etc. is seen as something you could actually wear out. Dig through that china hutch!

Btw, that dark blue background is gorgeous against the silver. Good choice.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.