Making a banner

How does one create a banner to use on the site? When I put a picture on, it's only showing a small portion of it, or looks weird. I guess I don't know how to size. Is there a website or software to use? Thanks for any help from you experts out there!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
31 Replies

Re: Making a banner

Try this how-to article for image editors and sizing requirements plus some decent tips.
http://www.etsy.com/blog/en/2009/seller-how-to-banner-tips/
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

0 Likes

I tried to make my own, but just wasn't pleased with the results. I broke down and purchased my shop set from this very talented and helpful seller;
http://www.etsy.com/shop/PlumroseLane?ref=seller_info
Her name is Sharon. Later, I had her set up blog with the matching theme.
Very worth the small investment, and she got it done fast!
You can pay more for custom design, but I was pleased enough with the price on this.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Your file size needs to be 760 x 100 pixels (not inches) in order to fit properly. Try using photoshop or another photo editing software program to crop your banner to this height and width.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I created mine in Adobe InDesign and converted it to a jpeg file. InDesign doesn't work in pixels so I made my dimensions 8" x 1", then converted it the correct pixel size in Photoshop. It was kind of a pain but I don't like creating stuff in Photoshop. I prefer to work with QuarkXpress and InDesign because of my job (newspaper advertising).
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

No need to spend big bucks on an editing software. Just use Gimp.

http://www.gimp.org/
0 Likes

I made mine on Picnik. I have about 10 different color/themes saved for different seasons and holidays. Very simple program to use.
0 Likes

picnik.com that is
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I highly encourage businesses to invest in a program like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro. Your shop would benefit in a variety of ways.

< banner designer.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks to EVERYONE for your ideas here! I can't afford Photo Shop yet, but sigh....someday.

Have a lovely day,
Lisa
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thank you Jenni! I just made mine in Bannerfans.com in like 15 minutes and it is soooo much better than the one I made in gimp like etsy suggested! Gimp and I did not get along well ;)

Bannerfans.com was awesome :)
0 Likes
SilkDesignByJane
Inspiration Seeker

thanks for the info , I've been looking for some help
0 Likes

I used bannersketch.com
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Rebecca,
you're welcome. I have never used it, but it was suggested on another thread I read the other day. a shop owner convo'd me and sent me one that was made for me. I'm pretty sure it was done on bannerfans.com, check it out. I put it up in my shop. I like it.
0 Likes
shoptwoblooms
Inspiration Seeker

I also did mine in Picnic, it's only available until sometime in April so make a bunch ahead of time.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jenni, you're banner is great and so perfect for your shop! Love your shop too!
0 Likes

(Sorry English is not my first language).

I think it's funny that people recommend to buy photoshop to make a banner. If Debbie don't know how to do a simple banner for her shop, how do you expect her to create one in photoshop? And I don't even talk about the price of this software! Buying photoshop in order to create a banner it would be like buying a Ferrari and use it for going to the supermarket, half a mile from your home!

The easiest and cheapest way for making a banner is to go on a website who can make banners for you (for free). Just type in any search engine "make your own banner" and you will have many possibilities. Fast, simple and FREE!
(Etsy banner size is 760X100 pixels)

I want to add that you have to remember that your banner is very important because it's what can makes people stay or leave your shop. In Etsy there is graphic designer who can make a very unique and beautiful banner for you for a reasonable price. Just type "Etsy banner" in the search bar in Etsy.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I'm with Jaime, www.picnik.com is SUPER easy, and has some excellent features to make some really interesting and individual banners.

Good luck!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I made mine in Gimp, which I occasionally use for my amateur "design" work. Programs like Gimp and Photoshop do have a learning curve and, in my experience, can be difficult to learn in the beginning. And I just know the very basics.

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Spirale Rouge says

"(Sorry English is not my first language).

I think it's funny that people recommend to buy photoshop to make a banner. If Debbie don't know how to do a simple banner for her shop, how do you expect her to create one in photoshop? And I don't even talk about the price of this software! Buying photoshop in order to create a banner it would be like buying a Ferrari and use it for going to the supermarket, half a mile from your home!"

I said

"I highly encourage businesses to invest in a program like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro. Your shop would benefit in a variety of ways."

Did you not read my message?

I think it's highly more efficient to invest & learn in using a program such as photoshop, as it will not ONLY help shop owners MAKE BANNERS, it will help them in a variety of ways,

promotional graphics ie.
posters, business cards, discount cards, leaflets, menus...

as well as creating their own packaging ie.
wrapping paper, tags, 'thank you' notes & letterheads...etc

Not to mention business branding; creating your own logos & even designing to creating your own websites & protecting your pictures from thieving scumbags.

You can also retouch any sloppy, low quality photography you have taken. & Instead of complaining to Etsy about not having a 'cropping' option on their listings, you could do it yourself.

The list really does go on & on.

But to be able to control the time you wish to spend on these things
& not have to pay a penny ( or $) is a luxury.

I really do not know what I would do without programs like photoshop, paint shop & cs5 {although a little more advanced}... If I bumped into the wrong graphic designer, I could end up spending a fortune & still not be happy & continue looking & spending more money on getting something right.

Spirale, your comment is just silly & ignorant. You obviously don't have photoshop.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

@ Debbie if you are still trying to figure out how to make a banner I will certainly help you make one. I have photoshop CS5 and I will help you for free. I know that it takes time and effort to get things going in Etsy, and I am still figuring a lot of things out myself. We need all the help we can get. <3 Message me if you are interested. :)

Jessica
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

@Wingless Designs, I don't think Spirale's comment was silly or ignorant. Photoshop is a very expensive program. Not all Etsy shops are doing such a fantastic business that they can afford to invest $500 or $600 on a graphics program, especially if they're not very computer savvy to begin with.

I have Adobe Creative Suite 3 because I acquired it for free when my son's vocational school upgraded to CS4 (they give their programming & web students the old software discs and unused codes so they can use it at home). I'm a graphic designer at my day job and use Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and QuarkXpress extensively. I would never recommend someone purchase an expensive program like Photoshop unless they have basic knowledge of the program tools and the time and desire to learn it. There are less expensive and even free alternatives. There are also some people who don't have the time, desire or skills to do their own promotional materials, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. That doesn't make them silly or ignorant, it makes them realistic about how they want to spend their time and money.
0 Likes

Thank you ALL for all your help! I love this avenue of discussion. It gave me some good ideas, and I will work on it. Thank you Jessica for your offer for help. I like to learn things when I have the time, and with the snow outside my window, I may have time today! I will let you know if I get stumped. That was very generous of you.
0 Likes

I did the bannerfan thing and got my new banner on my new shop at BusyBeeButtonsnBows, though I haven't started listing yet. I will in a couple days. I just don't know how to do a picture on it. I got the text the way I want it and it may be ok, but what do you think? And how would you ad pictures on that site? I may just contact them and see. I can always tweak it later. Can't wait to get started. Thanks again to all out there.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.