Former_Member
Subject: How to Take Great Photos with Your Smartphone - Jewelry Edition
When: Monday, March 16 at 11:00 a.m. (ET)
Where: http://etsy.me/labs316
Who: Etsy Admin, and YOU!

Photography is a key element in grabbing your buyer’s attention.

Join me in Etsy's Online Labs - http://etsy.me/labs316 - on March 16 at 11:00 a.m. (ET) to watch a live demonstration on how to take great photos on your smartphone. For this session we’ll focus on jewelry photography.

Online shoppers can’t always tell the difference between dull jewelry photos and dull jewelry. As the saying goes, "seeing is believing."

Please note that there are no sign-ups or automatic reminders for this session, so be sure to mark your calendar or check out this handy Etsy calendar; http://etsy.me/Cal315. If you are unable to attend, we will be posting an archived version of the video in this thread the day after the live session. Please note that if you would like to participate in the live chat, it will be available only during the live session.

➽ In the meantime, to participate, ask your number one question or share your best piece of advice about jewelry photography in the thread below. We will be highlighting some of your comments during the live event.
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: ✦ Live Video with Etsy Admin - Mar.16 @ 11:30 a.m. ET: How to Take Great Photos with Your Smartphone - Jewelry Edition

Jump to solution
Can someone give us the calendar for webinars, or send it to me at kbruce57@gmail.com? I am not sure how to find this information. Thanks. Kathleen
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: ✦ Live Video with Etsy Admin - Mar.16 @ 11:30 a.m. ET: How to Take Great Photos with Your Smartphone - Jewelry Edition

Jump to solution
I agree with the comments about lighting (natural, lightbooth, etc).

Also, what type of bkgd do you use? Is it better to use plain white, take pictures outdoors, use props, etc? I guess it all depends on your items and the "signature" of your store?
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Looking forward to it!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Interesting. I would love to hear about advantage and disadvange of using smartphones Vs point and shoot and other cameras. Maybe you guys can give us your input on that. Thank you for the opportunity to learn.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
This is great! I use my phone/iPad exclusively to take my photos and I'm always looking for tips to improve the way my jewellery is presented. Looking forward to it.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Lighting! With my phone, my pictures are always a bit dark. Thanks.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I use my Samsung galaxy s5 for photographing my jewelry. Still working on finding the right combination of lighting, background, etc. If I held off until I was completely satisfied I would still have an unopened shop, right? :-). One thing that made using this phone so much easier was downloading an app that allows me to lock focus (not available in the s5 native camera app). I use Camera Zoom FX, but many other apps also offer this feature. Will put this webinar on my calendar - looking forward to picking up many good ideas!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Great! Thank you!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
My close ups come out looking "grainy", not crisp and clear. I don't know if it's my camera settings or the way I save the pictures. Any help you can provide would be immensely appreciated.
0 Likes
MadeInHudson
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution
Is there a webinar archive for future reference?
If not, I wish these wonderful trainings could be offered in a searchable format.

Deep gratitude for providing relevant support!
0 Likes
BCtwo
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution
I take pix for my store with a camera for best results, but would love to use my phone camera too for mobile posting& promo.
It just does not seem to measure up- even with the same set up, natural light etc. (iphone5s)
They just seem grainy and often harsh looking.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Great! thank you for this, we are marking our calendar. We take all our pictures with smartphones using natural light and to get the best color, is very important doing it during the morning hours...well at least for us, that we are located in Miami.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Great to know! Thank you!
Could you please give an aprox time of this video
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I do not sell jewelry, but really enjoy looking at your shops & keeping a list of possible purchases. (Hopefully, my meaning will get across without knowing the correct words to use. :-] )

From a buyer's point of view and "in my opinion"(underlined):

- please do not show me 5 different ways a piece of jewelry can lay on the background provided

- please use a model if at all possible. I understand the hygiene issue with earrings & a model.
This is so beneficial to see how a 2-1/4" earring looks on someone as opposed to it laying on a table.
It is nice to see how a 20" necklace is going to look on someone vs. laying on a table. Some jewelry shops provide a picture demonstrating the different lengths of necklaces which is very helpful (this is a standard black & white picture - source unknown to me).

- the pictures of earrings hanging over bowls, tea cups, coffee cups, etc. are nice

- if the necklace has a pendant, stone, gem, etc.,
I would like to see a side view to see how thick this is
I would like to see the back view
I would like to see the gem compared to a common object - one shop offered different sizes & colors of a jewel & had a coin in the center of a circle of gems to use as a reference

- please tell me & show me the clasp for the necklace or bracelet
I know what a sister hook & a lobster claw is, but I may not know _____

- in my opinion, I would think 1 or 2 pictures with the necklace or bracelet in different a color scheme would be appealing. This way, the buyer could imagine how that item would fit in to their wardrobe. They could make a connection with that piece of jewelry on a personal level.

- if you are selling earrings & have a matching necklace &/or bracelet, please do not show me a picture of each item individually. That can be confusing. One picture of the set is all you need.

- I can understand having a picture of your gift box or how it will be shipped in case the item has been purchased as a gift, but that is using one of your photos that might have been the deciding factor for a sell. This is a debatable subject on my part....

I think that's all ... 8-)
I do hope my opinions shared are beneficial and profitable for someone!!
I admire each and every one of you selling jewelry on Etsy. I am continually amazed at the variety the shops offer, as well as the craftsmanship that is evident in a pieces of jewelry.

Keep up the Great Work!
Happy Sells to You!
Janet

One quick added thought:
If you are using an iPad and your software is up to date, you can alter the exposure before taking the picture. Be sure to look under "Tips" to see how. I know this has helped me a lot, along with other apps I use to alter my photos.
0 Likes
StitchMarkersUSA
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution
how do I get the very best photos of very shiny silver jewelry? What background is best for silver jewelry? What type of lights are best? Ok, that's 3 questions but one thing leads to another! Thanks. I plan to be there!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
How do I join the Seminar, do I just click the link http://etsy.me/labs316 at the time it come live?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Would love to join this team. I love learning and growing.
Thank you.
Blessings,
Marti :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Question: When cropping is there one frame size that is better to use than the others? Should all photos be consistent frame size? By frame size I mean 4x6, 5x7, 8x10. Currently I use the size most suitable for the object in the photo.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
After taking photos with your smartphone do you recommend using any photo editing apps before posting listings?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
A smartphone to take great pictures? I know it sometimes is all about being resourceful and working with the tools you have. BUT come on Etsy, I think its a little ridiculous you are even suggesting pictures being taken in this method.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Need all the photo help I can get! Can't make the live session, but look forward to viewing the video.......
0 Likes
PSPendants
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution
I would like to learn more about stabilizing a smart phone. I have a tripod for my old digital camera, but the phone takes better pictures! Any suggestions on a phone tripod or stabilizer would be welcome.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Hope this will be taped for later viewing can't make it! Darn!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I've been wondering how important it is to photograph my jewelry on an actual person. Timing is everything and it's not always accommodating to find a friend available...so lately I take my jewelry outside looking & hoping for the best lighting and background.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
EclecticHarmony, Crystal Healing, Kristin Oppold, and Colleen Schaffermoth - The webinar will be recorded and available for later viewing, I'll be posting the archived version of the video to this thread after the live event. If you would like to view past webinars, you can find them here: http://livestream.com/etsy

Huan Wang - Yes, to attend the live video session, all you need to do is click on etsy.me/labs316 at 11 a.m. on Monday, March 16

Kimberly - The gap between DSLR and smartphones is getting smaller and smaller, and the advice that we'll be sharing will relevant many types of cameras.

Kathleen Bruce - You can find our monthly calendar here: http://etsy.me/cal315. I would also recommend checking back in to this team on a regular basis for future scheduling and information about upcoming webinars.

Janine Signorelli - I'll be covering a couple things that you can do when you don't have a model available for a photo shoot.

For those of you who have expressed interest in learning more about shooting reflective metals and pearls, lighting tricks and lightbox type setups, I will be going over a couple tricks that can help.

I love that you all have so many questions and advice around product photography. I'm really looking forward to sharing some tips with you! Keep the comments coming!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.