So, the other day I was taken to a late birthday dinner by one of my co-workers (from my "day job") and she ended up there first. I got a text as I walked in that she was basically sitting with some business gentlemen that knew the founder of the company we both work for.

After some sushi, and sake, the talk turned to business. Come to find out, we were basically sitting with millionaires having dinner. It was an eye opening experience.

During the conversation one of the three gentlemen started talking about entrepreneurship, to which my coworker states "Michelle is an entrepreneur. She owns her own growing business designing jewelry." Which sparked the requirement that I pull out my iPad and show everyone my store.

One of the three gentlemen began quizzing me about my designs, one showed more interest in my boyfriend E cig (bought from another friend's business), and the third (whom was wearing a $30,000 watch) began picking apart my store, how my jewelry is displayed, my designs, and even my components (mind you he had no expertise in the jewelry arena, other than buying expensive "mass produced" pieces).

All three gentlemen came from similar business backgrounds, had similar net worths, and were eating at my table. Only one of them was wearing flashy, expensive jewelry, and he was NOT my target market.

My friend, whom is a brilliant business woman (but not for artisan jewelry) stubbornly tried to sell my wares to the flashy watch guy for 45 minutes, to no avail. It was amusing to watch. I spent 5 minutes talking to him before I stopped trying to 'sell' to him. It took me 5 minutes to realize the man had no appreciation for artisan products, and that my prices were way to low for him to respect. He was all abut high price tags, not about quality. He wanted FLASHY, and well designed.

However, I spent 5 minutes talking to the gentlemen that took interest in how I design things, and he tried to buy the $80 bracelet I was wearing, off my wrist (on of my niobium micro Maille bracelets).

Moral of the story? It is more profitable to talk to your target market for 5 minutes than to spend 45 minutes trying to sell to someone that is not part of your target market.

Take the time to understand who your customer really is, or should be!
LeedsRadio
Inspiration Seeker

Re: Let's talk about Target Market!

Michelle,
Now I understand. From your first post he looked like someone I could work with. From the his comments that you list in paragraph 3 I agree with you. I've thrown people out of my shop for using that kind of language
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Very interesting and instructive, thank you so much Michelle for sharing your experience!
Im definitely the kind of seller who wants to sell to everybody, but i know it's a mistake...
so hard to find who is your target actually
0 Likes

I was rather surprised to find that his colleague was my customer though. He didn't even comment about the bust, but almost immediately tried to by my bracelet.
0 Likes

I could use some help thinking about my target market. My business tends to be custom orders from referrals rather than my Etsy shop. I think I am a bit too scattered in my target market thinking. What are questions that get you thinking about that? I opened January 3 and have had only 2 sales, so I don't think I have enough experience to figure that out....
0 Likes

Very good story and well written! Thanks so much for sharing it!! I bet the guy that is buying the bracelet for his wife comes back to buy again!!
0 Likes

Jeanie,
Here are a couple of things to think about. Who would need/want your product? Who can you see using/wearing/displaying your product? Who has bought your product so far? These questions will put you on the path to determining you target market. If you still struggle, I have another shop that I'm building to help take the 'sting' out of figuring these things out, and to help other sellers succeed. Your welcome to send me a message and I'll send you the store link.
0 Likes

Great Story. It is hard to find your target market. I am still battling with that. People call my stuff cute, say they like it and never buy it.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.