Former_Member
Not applicable

Is photo editing necessary?

Is using an editing tool such as photoshop really necessary? If so what programs do you use? Do I need to use filters? And are there any free programs I can download online other than GIMP? Does Gimp have filters?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
20 Replies
GoTo
Crafty Poster

Re: Is photo editing necessary?

Good photos are essential for online selling since it's the only way your buyers can see your items. If your photos need editing so they look good, then photo editing is necessary.

I don't know what you mean by filters, but GIMP is a good (but complex) program ( http://www.gimp.org/windows ), I've also heard good things about Picasa which is, from what I hear, relatively simple ( http://picasa.google.com ) if you're just starting out.

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Good photos are ESSENTIAL like GoTo said, but expensive photo-editing equipment isn't. Use good lighting, it'll make all the difference. If you can't get enough artificial light with lamps and spotlights, try taking your products outside and shooting in natural light. Maybe a few objects or props will help to give the product some scale and context. Here's a great article on how to create a professional lighting setup for cheap: http://www.handmadeology.com/studio-quality-product-photography-with-a-12-set-up/

It's likely that you'll take some excellent photos this way, especially if you use a really good camera. Some post-production always helps, though you don't want to over-do it! I use Picasa, so I can definitely personally vouch for its effectiveness. It has all the basic editing tools such as lighting, shadow, saturation, glow, sepia, etc as well as other photoshop-like tools like retouch (which is just like the photoshop stamp tool). Also, Google put in a handy "I'm Feeling Lucky" button to do auto-color/contrast/tone adjustments at the click of a button. If you're looking at hundreds of photos to edit and upload, Picasa can be the perfect tool. I sometimes don't bother opening photoshop because Picasa doesn't slow down my computer as much and does everything I need to make my photo look awesome.

I hope this helps...remember that your photos are the first things your customers see and it's always worth finding new ways to make them clearer and more professional.

Best of luck,
-Ana
0 Likes
Nbeads
Inspiration Seeker

It's necessary to use some photo editing tool to make your stuff more attractive.But remember not to let people feel that your photos are too dummy,especially the color.
Goto and Ana help a lot already,really kind guys.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Picasa can be a useful tool, and although it is simple to operate it sometimes lacks the "fancier tools" of say something like "photoshop".... I'm somewhat struggling with photos, but watching workshops from here on etsy hopefully will come in handy. The one I watched today "Get off your buts" was awesome! It has TONS of advice for photos, and settings!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I edit everything in Picasa. I just make sure to have decent lighting so I don't have to do any major editing.

Gimp is like a free version of PhotoShop, and I def recommend it over PS. Both were difficult for me to learn, so you might as well get the free one since you might not even end up using it.
0 Likes

You can get old versions of Photoshop Elements on ebay at less than half of the cost on the new version 10 on the Adobe website. I'm still using my old version 2 from back in 2003. It does what I need and I never needed to get the new ones.

Elements is a $90-$100 program, not the really expensive $700 one. (is that what it costs??)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks guys! I have Gimp, but not Picasa. I'll def jump on that today.
0 Likes
EZCraftingStore
Inspiration Seeker

I made a light box. With the box and the right lighting it really made a difference. I also crop my pictures so the item really stands out.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I use Photoshop CS3. My son's vocational shop teacher gave him the school's old discs when they upgraded to CS4. It pays to have a son that's a programming geek. :)

I adjust the white balance and image exposure settings on my camera and do further tweaking in Photoshop. I also crop them very tight. My photos would look like crap if I didn't do all those things. I'm sure there's still room for improvement but I think they're ok.
0 Likes

I use picnik.com to adjust the lighting in my items. I don't change colors or edit anything out of the photo. I use a tripod for my digital camera and take my time taking detailed shots so that editing is minimal and never takes longer than 2-3 minutes per photo.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Good photos are absolutely necessary! But an expensive program is not! Mine came with the camera - a simple program, and I use a daylight lamp and that's all! I think my photos are fine :-)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Photoscape is very handy - it downloads to your computer and is easier to use than Gimp is, from what I understand. And yes, it's necessary for brightening too-dark pics, for cropping pics in closer (esp important for my jewelry shop), and bringing the contrast up a tad to make your items pop.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I use the program that came with my camera, and if a picture doesn't look better with a few minor adjustments sometimes it just means go back and take your picture in better lighting.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

*wave*
I spent about $20 on a homemade lightbox (foam board, daylight bulbs and cheap light holders).
I have learned to use the settings a bit on my cheap camera (thanks to friends).
And all I use to crop/resize is Paint.
For me, the pics are as good as they will get. I am not a photographer so as far as getting pretty angles and neat views, that won't happen. But the colors show well and the items pop relatively well on the white background.
Good luck!!
0 Likes

I use photoshop CS5 and use it to lighten, sharpen and crop my photos.
0 Likes

I use Photoshop Elements 10. I got it 50% the day after Thanksgiving. I had CS3 and it's just more than I need. It's a great program, I love being able to shoot in RAW, but I was never using it to it's full potential.

I'm sure I'm not using PE10 to it's fullest either, but I can actually maneuver PE10 faster than I can CS3 so I feel better about that.

I spoke to a professional photographer once who said if a photographer ever said he never edited his photos he's lying. I don't know how true that is, but it made me feel better not getting great photos straight off the camera.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I use picasa. It's free and online. . .
0 Likes

I've been working on taking better photos. One of my potter buddies on the Etsy Mud Team site shared this how to photo set up.

http://dmichaelcoffee.wordpress.com/2011/07/12/shots-of-pots-on-the-cheap-and-low-tech/

Another thing I learned was that the white balance and "F" stop (shutter speed) on your camera setting is so important. The light bulbs also recommended by my potter friend is from this site...

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/

search for this item....

ECT EIKO/WIKO PHOTOFLOOD 3200K 500W 120V
Item #: 2340568

So far since I've gotten help I think my photos are turning out better.

Hope this is of some help to you.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I have Roxio for creating my DVD's and it actually has helped me in editing my photos too! I do a lot of cropping them so they are just right and sometimes will use the auto fix if the lighting was not just right.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Photos are what sell your item on Etsy, so having good photos is paramount. How much editing you need depends...

My advice is get to know your camera, establish a routine for taking photos that helps you edit less, and try free editing software before you buy anything.

I take my photos with a Sony Cyber-Shot camera (basic, but good camera -- excellent macro) and edit them with the program that came with my Sony computer. Mostly, I just lighten them, up the contrast, sometimes warm up the color and crop. Takes less than a minute per photo.

However, I am careful to make the most of my photos before I even snap the shutter. I take them at a certain time of day when the natural daylight is just right, with white backgrounds I use on a regular basis. Through trial and error I have found the angles I like best and positioning of items for the photo shoot. This helps me to need little editing and to take my photos in about 5 minutes per item.

Of course, there is always room for improvement and I would say my photos could be better -- you might think so too!

Incidentally, one of my least favorite photos (in terms of quality) is the one that has been pinned the most (of my photos) on Pinerest!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.