Inspire a Friend to Open an Etsy Shop

January is the perfect time of year to remind that creative friend of yours to finally open their own Etsy shop and share in your entrepreneurship adventure. We’ve recently created a number of inspiring resources to help anyone who’s interesting in starting on Etsy. If your friend needs a little extra encouragement, share our step-by-step guide to getting started, which covers everything from choosing a shop name to opening for business. Here’s the link: http://etsy.me/1KvaqN4

You could also send them our “How to Get Started on Etsy” video series on YouTube. Each video includes tried-and-true advice from experienced Etsy sellers: http://etsy.me/1PtdE4U I personally find each seller story so inspiring and think the series is a must-see for anyone selling on Etsy!

As an added bonus, for every friend of yours that opens a shop on Etsy, we'll give you both 40 free listings. Visit this page to easily refer your friends: http://etsy.me/1Nqfanc

What’s your number one tip for a new seller?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
86 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Inspire a Friend to Open an Etsy Shop

My number one tip would be: many people will offer help and advice and unselfishly share the knowledge they collected over the years, but please use all available resources out there, regarding Etsy, SEO, marketing, photography tips etc. It is YOU and ONLY YOU who is responsible for your own success! Wish everybody a lot of luck!
0 Likes

My tip would be, good things come to those who wait and work hard while waiting. It may take time to get sales but don't let a lack in sales keep you from your shop. Keep updating, listing items and changing small things like descriptions and titles until you perfect what you're doing. Also keep up your research into your marketing and branding. The sales will come and you'll be better prepared.
Here's to a great 2016!
0 Likes

oh this is awesome! I'm planning a panel discussion at a local creative group about etsy and will definitely bring my link along!

I don't know if I can have just one tip :) research your market? take beautiful photos? maybe my one tip would be stop procrastinating and just list SOMETHING, those first baby steps are the most challenging!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

The most encouraging advice I was given as a newbie was to network with other sellers, because Etsy is not a competition; we all help each other.
0 Likes

Thank you for the links! I have been inviting many friends from all over the world to Etsy. All I want to say to new sellers is do what you love and never quit! Sometimes it is rough to be a seller but it is worth it!
0 Likes
LeedsRadio
Inspiration Seeker

My tip would be go back in time and instead of starting a shop on Etsy, start Etsy. For hobby it's probably fine, but if you have any expectations about making a living from it, providing for a family, being able to retire comfortably without your business going from being a small business to being a medium size or even bigger - forget it. The number of ounces of sweat needed to make each dollar is simply too high. You will burn out.

When I look at my reviews a seller here and then reflect on my experience as a customer, dealing with companies that are supposed to be world class, I think "I should be a millionaire."
0 Likes

If fear of rejection or all the "What if's?" are keeping you from taking the first step to opening your shop, I would say go for it and just remember my story. I almost didn't finish opening my shop because of my fears and now I can laugh at myself. Our shop was slow to get sales the first year because my SEO's and marketing were poor (I had a lot to learn). However, this last year, 2015, we did very well and we look forward to continued growth throughout 2016. We are now approaching 500 sales ... and I was afraid no one would want to buy my products!
0 Likes

Wow, big question. The number one tip for a new seller is to understand who your customer is before you open your shop. This will take time, but it will save you a lot of wasted effort in the future. When you know who your customer is, you can develop your SEO and branding toward that customer.

I started with crochet items and then decided to destash my old sewing patterns. I found out that sewing patterns sell way better for me than crochet, so I moved everything but patterns out of my shop and into a second shop. Best move ever. But, that meant a complete rebranding of the shop--from logos to business cards and all my marketing material. Sometimes you cannot predict what will sell, but doing a little market research will help out in the long run.
0 Likes

Patience! I think a lot of new sellers get discouraged when things don't sell right away.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Number one tip to a new seller is to invest as much time as possible and use social media to your advantage.

My shop has only been opened for about a week and because of social media I've been able to grow to a few sales. I've also gained tons of views because of this too. Join a discussion! This Etsy Success page really gives me the motivation I need on days where I need a little boost. Give your shop a Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, etc. page! It really does help!

xoxo Natalie from Eight To Six
0 Likes

I am new to the team and to Etsy and wish I'd done both sooner. Thats my first tip to anyone thinking about it.

I run craft fairs here in the UK and tbh its very hit and miss these days. We only have hand made crafts on show but are competing with the "craft & gift" fayres which invariably van offer much lower priced goods.

Being on Etsy has made me realise there is a niche market for our craftsmen/women and i will be spreading the word to encourage them to look at joining.

I have FB/twitter/pinterest etc but need to maximise the potential from them
0 Likes
oneredcanoe
Inspiration Seeker

Love what you do and do it well!

As a newbie myself I know that 'I'm' the only one responsible for how well I do and if I put in the 'work' sales will follow...
0 Likes
isewcute
Crafty Poster

Follow your passion...find your niche & be original. You will stand out and get noticed that way.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Do what you love and work will become your fun time!! Whats better than that!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks!
0 Likes

Hi everyone! I'm new on Etsy! Thanks a lot for your tips and advice!
0 Likes

I am a 'newbie' seller - but I am on Etsy as a buyer since 2011 - and my advice to other newbies would be to work hard and smart, be patient and have perseverance. :) But most of all, love what you do and enjoy the ride!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

0 Likes

www.etsy.com/shop/Adrenaline1411?ref=hdr_shop_menu

Handmade designer clothes made whit love special for you :) 🌹

ADRENALINE550 is your discount code Congratulations 💛 🍹 🌞

www.etsy.com/listing/247539584/new-2016-black-blouseunique-blouse?r... LISTING-247539584

www.etsy.com/listing/247539584/new-2016-black-blouseunique-blouse?r... LISTING-247539584

www.etsy.com/listing/273949378/new-black-dress-sleeves?ref=shop_hom... LISTING-273949378
0 Likes

WOW1 I've been on Etsy for about a year and a half. Still wanting more views and sales, so thank you for the recommendation to follow your passion and keep working. I just joined this team and have already learned a few new things, like how to refer a friend. I will keep reading for tips and encouragement. Thanks!
0 Likes

Just recently opened a new shop with things I really love to do. That's important to me; as Christine says, follow your passion. "Big Magic" by Eliz. Gilbert is a great inspiration and incentive to keep going btw.
0 Likes

I joined in mid 2011 & made lots of sales, so I talked a friend into to opening a (successful) etsy shop & taught her everything I knew about SEO, shipping, photo editing, etc --- But that was back in early 2012, when the algorithm was fair to shops that worked hard (before the "diversity"fix"). --- Now there's a glut of re-sellers & manufactured "handmade"... Plus there are more shops than customers & no lovely Treasury to greet people as they sign in, just things we clicked on in the past, so I don't "toot the etsy horn" as loudly as I did before the IPO changed everything.
0 Likes

ArtWildflowersDigi... I agree, but hang inthere!!!Be sure to let ETSY leaders know how you feel! Comment on their posts, and video training. Treasuries became abused by special interests, but they are still alive! Most missed by me is the "just sold ticker"!!! As sure as changes happen (privitization of stock) changes will CONTINUE to happen. Trends need to be set not just followed! In the beginning, I watched for a year or so, researched comperable items, descriptions, photo backgrounds and copied in notebooks, saved pictures of shops that appealed to me; (screen shots now) studied SEO in active teams and Became a Customer several times to find out what it looks like/feels like from the other side. JUMP IN and DO, learn along the way!!! POSTING items to sell, frequently, and responding to questions/cell phone notifications immediately is what I needed/still need to do!!! Sure, some people complain and are picky but most are forgiving and will communicate along the way. I live in an internet dead zone, so communications are difficult but i try to make up for it with extra personal service. HUMANIZE, remember what it's like to be the shopper. Be professional but don't forget to be YOU, an individual with talents and human frailties. Go the extra mile when you send an order out, pack twice as carefully as you think is needed. Insure. Enclose a note in your own handwriting. Keep track of things. Sure, promote, help others promote, but make friends with PEOPLE along the way. Let someone know you admire even if you can't buy, read their "about me stories" and ask what worked for them. GET PERMISSIONS, don't plagiarize, don't copy ideas, give credit where credit is due. What would i say? Make and list 30 of the same thing, (costs the same as for one) and make use of possible tag words that could apply; wedding, party, birthday, fur-babies, nostalgic, handmade in ____(your hometown/country)! P.S. e-mailing my advise to myself right now. P.P.S. My very favorite thing is hearing the "Ka-ching" sound on my phone when i'm out and about with friends... notification of a sale!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

BethAnn
Thank you for the good advice. My sister Carolyn and I have just started our shop and are enjoying it. There are so many things to learn. It's nice to hear that we can do it. One thing that we have been working on also is getting health insurance when you're self employed. Does etsy offer anything that could help?
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.