January is the perfect time of year to remind that creative friend of yours to finally open their own Etsy shop and share in your entrepreneurship adventure. We’ve recently created a number of inspiring resources to help anyone who’s interesting in starting on Etsy. If your friend needs a little extra encouragement, share our step-by-step guide to getting started, which covers everything from choosing a shop name to opening for business. Here’s the link: http://etsy.me/1KvaqN4

You could also send them our “How to Get Started on Etsy” video series on YouTube. Each video includes tried-and-true advice from experienced Etsy sellers: http://etsy.me/1PtdE4U I personally find each seller story so inspiring and think the series is a must-see for anyone selling on Etsy!

As an added bonus, for every friend of yours that opens a shop on Etsy, we'll give you both 40 free listings. Visit this page to easily refer your friends: http://etsy.me/1Nqfanc

What’s your number one tip for a new seller?

Re: Inspire a Friend to Open an Etsy Shop

I'm also a newbie to Etsy and appreciate all the conversations on this list! Looking forward to my new adventure and getting to know ya'll! ♥
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

My tip would be to schedule time to work on your shop every day. When I miss a day or two, I really notice a decline in views, hearts, and sales. Daily dedication is crucial for success.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I wish I had known about these forums and discussions when I first started on Etsy.
I guess my newbie tip would be that you need to know it takes time. You can't just pop open a shop and expect sales to pour in. It takes a lot of work and time to figure things out.
0 Likes

Kandi, I am in total agreement with you, and Jennifer, you are so right!

Etsy has been the best platform for my Art and decorative Art business.

I encourage all and any other Artisans or Vintage sellers to utilize this platform. Etsy does not take the outrageous commissions that galleries and "shows" do. You really need to help yourself with relevant tags, and promotion through teams and other social media. I recently invested in Google Ads and found so much increase in sales that I had to deactivate all of my custom listings.. until after the holidays.
0 Likes

We use our 40 free listings link all the time on SM and we have gotten several folks to use it. It is exciting to get the notification you earned 40 free listings.
0 Likes

I try to encourage anyone no matter their age or experience to sell on Etsy if they can be creative in selling or workmanship, because the ideas are as endless as there are buyers who will be drawn to your particular creation or item you have found to sell.

Try to bring uniqueness to your shop either by how you design your item itself or the way you represent it. If "everybody is doing it one way" you need to see how you can stand out. What do you have to offer your visitors that is above the rest. Why would YOU want to buy your stuff? Don't be afraid to compare your items to shops selling the same type of things? What can you bring that people would want.

Price your items to sell but also carefully consider the "cost" you have into it, including shipping supplies and postage. Don't get burned, causing all your profit to go to expenses. What's the point of that. We are all here to make money, not to just break even. You really can't be paid for the hours you put into something custom made, or are there some out there that do....I would love to meet them.

When I started to sell on Etsy, my husband warned me to not price too high or people like us would not be able to afford it. My daughter, and Interior Designer said those from a higher standard of living don't shop Etsy for cushions and covers....they hire a designer. I wondered where my market was listening to them both. Then I thought not, " where is my market point" but instead, "what market do I want to sell to"? This is the question you need to ask and then build your shop, photos and the items you are selling to meet or exceed these customers expectations.

Have vision and follow your dreams. Don't listen to negative criticism, but do be willing to learn from constructive ideas to help you. Only you can bring yourself down by deciding what you will believe about your own self and the talent God has given you.

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I want to ask the team a favor. I am brand new to Etsy and only made my very first sale just recently...so I cannot give any marketing advice.

I was wondering if anyone could visit my shop and tell me what you think. I could use any advice and help that you can offer. I have been painting for over 70 years. I am now 84 years old and this is all so new to me.

Here's the link:

etsy.com/shop/byMarilynWalters

Thanks so much!
Marilyn
0 Likes

marilyn your works are beautiful
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

There is some great advice here. Personally I am new to all of this but the advice here has been great!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Wow,a big question. The number one tip for a new seller is to understand who your customer is, before you open your shop. This will take time, but it will save you a lot of wasted time in the future. When you know who your customer is, you can develop your SEO and branding toward that customer.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I have been inviting many friends from all over the world to Etsy. All I want to say to new sellers is do what you love and never quit!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

i have told at least 20 people : etsy's back platform is very good, such as ,,,,,,, convenient to sellers,
0 Likes

My friend Larry inspired me to put my Art pieces on Etsy, I've never known of Etsy, and I quickly got excited and posted 65 items, all of my whole life's artsy output.
Thanks Larry for teaching me how to open my Etsy store
I hope this inspires others as well to open their store and sell their crafts.
0 Likes

My number one tip, is to start. Do a little at a time until it is open. If you look at it all at once, it can seem impossible. I love encouraging others to open Etsy shops, including the youth.
0 Likes
HimikoArt
Registered Buyer

0 Likes

0 Likes

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.