Hi there,

Making my first sale to a complete stranger was such an indescribable feeling. Up until then, all of my customers had been friends or family members. As soon as I saw the order, I immediately texted my best friend and then rushed to ship the item out.

How did you make your first sale to a stranger? I’m working on a potential article for the Seller Handbook, and I want to hear from you. Was there a turning point in your shop that led to it? Maybe you had an epiphany about how to shoot better product photos or perhaps you revamped your titles and tags. Or maybe you changed course and started selling a new product. Whatever the change, big or small, tell us about what led to your first sale.

If I’m interested in learning more about your experience, I’ll reach out to you directly. Excited to hear your stories and tips!

Thanks y’all,
Tess
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: How did you make your first sale?

i show the discount info before the holiday , then he order,then i feel so excited, then i quickly do it, and deliver it.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

0 Likes

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I did my first sales yesterday! One person literally at the other side of the world bought 2 items from my shop! I'm very excited! I believe that this happened because I have special offers in my shop.
0 Likes

Promoting like crazy!
0 Likes

my first sale was to an old friend in California, but I did not prompt her to purchase, I posted on my fb that I had opened a shop, and she purchased one of my prints. now a few years later, as this is growing to be 1/3-1/2 of our family overall income, we are coming up on 560 sales.
0 Likes

When beginners know very little about daily sales. Especially at my age. Fortunately, my family helped me and bought a pillow from me.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

i show the discount info, i show all the best picture i can take photo, then he buy.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/597549392/raspberry-vineplantspalm-shaped?ref=shop_home_active_15
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I didn't make my first sale to a stranger yet. My shop on Etsy exists only few days. Now I have new feelings, little inner conflict beetwin two parts of mine - one part think that I have to do something like learn more about tags or item description etc. And second part who used to be the boss and think what I knit or crochet next tells me something like that; "Hey, Irina, we lived so good together before in our small world with yarn, patterns, inspiration and creativity! And now you went out somewhere else. Who cares will you sell something or not?! Go back to me and create new things, we are perfect couple together".

Lets see how this inner proccess will upwrap and unfold next days :)
0 Likes

My first sale was in the early Fall and my Etsy iPhone app made a ca-ching sound. It took me a day to figure out what app made that noise. I look forward to hearing it again. I really enjoyed packaging the item and sending it to the buyer the next day. I loved the feeling of knowing they would smile when they received their item. And the ca-ching sound, that is great too!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

The first sale I made was some days ago, i gave this customer so many free gift ! so hope he can come back in near future !
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Happy to join this group and hope to learn how to run a successful shop!
0 Likes
MjRusticDesigns
Inspiration Seeker

Unfortunately, have yet to make a sale! New to this world! Would love any advice or tips on how to grow my business?! Thanks!

MjRusticDesigns
https://etsy.me/2kYFTmJ
https://etsy.me/2JvnsRd
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

My first sale came months after opening shop, I was mostly selling in person to friends and co-workers. But my first and only Etsy sale came just days before mothers day. I wasnt expecting it because my shop was on the back burner while moving into a house I had just bought. Now that I am all settled in I'm devoting much more time to it!
0 Likes

I told everyone I knew about my shop, and made up business cards to pass out as well. My first 3 sales were to people I know (thanks, Mom), but the next 2 came out of nowhere! I've been joining these teams and trying to participate as much as possible in hopes of encouraging more views, and then sales. I hear a lot of people get a boost from social media, but I haven't waded into that yet.

My shop has been open since Memorial Day weekend, 2018.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

My shop has been open for a few weeks now. I haven’t had any sales. I’ve looked into articles and worked on my tags. I’m also advertising. I’m getting some traffic and i received my first message inquiring about my product. I’m hopeful and patient. I know it won’t happen overnight. I’ve also added different products to give my customer a variety of options. I also have an Instagram page for my Etsy account. Wish me luck!

Wedding champagne flutes and custom mugs.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/AmelieShoppe
0 Likes

Hope I can tell you about my first sale soon. Just positive, let's have this password! Rita :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

My first sale was for one of my quilting patterns. Back then my focus was on quilting. I liked the creating part of it but couldn't stand having to write out directions on how I created an item. So here I am doing jewelry which I totally love doing!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Wow.. such a collection of interesting stories! ...and yet similar themes. I understand the feeling of the first sale from a stranger thing and how that feels. One hears so much about Etsy, but it's such a different experience being a shop owner. It's not good or bad, just different. There really is a huge learning curve. But Etsy does such a Great job at guiding you along!! It's really great but a Lot to learn
0 Likes

Let's celebrate! I sold my first jewelery! My Hungarian buyer found me and bought a red necklace. Rita
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

My first sale was a week after the store opened on Etsy. It was a nice girl from Japan, she bought a white fox doll from me. I was very excited. Sometimes I remember her and rejoice.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

i show them to people for 4 months, then welcome the first sale
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.